The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 10, 2018, 01:39 PM   #1
brennok

Basic rules and guidelines when it comes to cleaning, oil, and maintenance?

I have been helping some friends and family inventory some firearms they inherited. While we all have basic gun handling knowledge, we have realized not a single one of us has any experience with gun maintenance or cleaning. This has made us more paranoid as we handle the collection which has sat for years relatively untouched. It also seems the more we research the more everyone has their own personal preference on what works best and what to avoid based off the finish.

I think if the collection was mostly polymer firearms or well worn we would be less worried about screwing up the finish, but some of the pieces look to be up their in value and a few are engraved with what appears to be gold. Also we can't seem to find anything the previous owner used so we are starting from scratch.

Some people seem to recommend Hoppes or Break Free collector, but we were hesitant to just dive in. I guess we are worried something will be great for blued guns, but damaging to Nickel or vice versa and use the wrong product on the wrong finish. Some recommend silicone, but to avoid getting it on wood. I figure we are overthinking this, but I also understand their concerns since they don't want to ruin something their parents maintained for years.

Any general guidelines and tips are greatly appreciated.
Old February 10, 2018, 03:02 PM   #2
OzeanJaeger

Yes, everyone has their opinion/experience. But, you can’t go wrong with CLP or Hoppes for cleaning/lube. Renisance Wax every outside surface (including stocks) to preserve protect. Follow the directions.
Old February 12, 2018, 05:06 PM   #3
mr bolo

BALLISTOL is a safe product that wont harm wood or plastic, no harsh chemicals, some people even use it on leather holsters, boots, belts, etc.
Old February 13, 2018, 10:46 AM   #4
Don P

First make sure anything that is to be cleaned and oiled is UNLOADED.
Hoppes will work fine as well as any gun oil out there. Oil is a matter of personal preference. As for long term storage I recommend RIG grease. I have personally wiped down a Remington 760 Game Master and it was in a case in the back of the closet. Case was vinyl with material inside and after 10 years the gun looked like the day I placed it in the case.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 15, 2018, 02:21 AM   #5
Buzzcook

Clearing guns can be learned from youtube for the different types of guns you have. That should probably be your first stop.
I handle different guns from estates and its always an unpleasant surprise to find a loaded gun in some guy's storage unit or broom closet. But more unpleasant if I didn't clear the guns and let a customer find out.

Break-Free CLP is probably the easiest gun product to use because it cleans, oils and protects all in one. Cleaning is also something you can learn on youtube.
Old February 18, 2018, 11:02 AM   #6
jamaica

Hoppe's #9 is a good cleaning solvent for the barrel and action. Once the gun is cleaned, a little oil on the whole gun will keep off the rust. 3in1 oil is available many places and works well.