The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 15, 2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Pharaohawk27

Borealis Flashlight Review

BOREALIS FLASHLIGHT REVIEW

Ever since I began lurking in the forums, I had noticed the Borealis flashlight and its maker Black Bear. Since I had for a while been contemplating the purchase of a Surefire M-6 (having the M-4 and wishing to upgrade to 500 lumens), I was very interested in his claims of 1050 lumens, two million candlepower, and a run time of 50 minutes for his Borealis light.
I am unfortunately a tight-fisted guy with money, so before spending the $320 that the light and charger cost (shipped), I investigated the light and the builder very thoroughly. I read everything that was available in several forums and even in the flashlights forums, and I was impressed by all the good things that people had to say for the light and for Juan C. (Black Bear).
It is not the first time I buy an expensive flashlight. The one before was the Surefire M-4 for $330, and I own a bunch of other Surefires, like the E2e, Centurion III, Centurion II, E1e, L-4, and a few other full-sized lights like the Ultra Stinger and Magcharger.
After I Pay-Paled Black Bear I received the light within three days, and what a great light it is. The quality of build is superb. I am very familiar with the regular Maglite 3 D light, and I’m unsure of how he does it, but the tolerances and movement of the parts are very tight and the threaded parts are very smooth but firm, all giving the light a superlative solid feel and an unmatched quality.
All parts were polished bright and Pro-Golded for better conductivity, and the battery carrier has a snug fit with no discernible play.
I selected the Light Stippled reflector (he has four choices of reflectors, smooth, orange peel, light stippled and medium stippled), and the beam is perfect with no rings or other artifacts, very similar to the beam of the M-4 but several times brighter.
Indeed, the brightness is just incredible. I was traveling in the Poconos area on business and I visited my friend a flashaholic himself. There we tried the Borealis against all he had and the Borealis just blew anything he owned out of the water, including a Surefire M-6 and a Mag 85.
The only thing that could approach the brightness of the Borealis was a big and heavy spotlight with a 7 inch reflector rated at two million candlepower, but the Borealis had more useful side spill, illuminating much more terrain while keeping the same intensity at the center of the beam.

When my significant other returned my camera, I took these pictures against the other flashlights that I have in hand, just to give an idea to the readers how it compare with other powerful police lights that are in use every day by the police and military forces.

Magcharger 200 lumens

Ultra Stinger 295 lumens

Surefire M-4, 350 lumens

BOREALIS rechargeable 1050 lumens

The Borealis already claimed his first victim. The other day after closing a deal with a customer, and getting invited to a nice dinner and some drinks, I was coming back to my motel at one a.m. when, on parking, I saw a shadow lurking by the trunk of one of the parked cars.
Upon exiting my car and with the Borealis in hand I switched it on and the scene was illuminated like Miami Beach at noon. The guy that was kneeling by the car’s trunk was actually looking my way, and he jumped three feet in the air and started running, and since he was blinded by the light he collided heavily with the fender of a car and went down flat, got up, continued running with a limp towards the fence, jumped toward the top of it, missed the grab and went down heavily a second time. He eventually did make over the top of the fence, but I was certainly entertained for a good amount of time.
Yes, I am very satisfied with the Borealis and with Juan C. answering all the questions I had before purchasing. In truth, it went beyond all my expectations; this is a very high quality light and service from a great artisan that is worth every penny I paid for it and more.

Sincerely,
Pharaohawk
Old December 15, 2007, 05:59 PM   #2
tplumeri

Interesting, same pictures as on the borealis web site and your post sounds like an advertisement.
If you want to advertise a product, just do it up front. dont try to scam me with "testimonials"
tom
Old December 15, 2007, 08:33 PM   #3
woodland

I don't see those pictures anywhere on the web site at all. Maybe, just maybe, this guy actually bought a flash light and really liked it! Black Bear has posted enough stuff on here and is known enough that I doubt he needs to make bogus posts to get his stuff out there.
Old December 18, 2007, 11:25 AM   #4
black bear 84

[quote] Interesting, same pictures as on the borealis web site and your post sounds like an advertisement.
If you want to advertise a product, just do it up front. dont try to scam me with "testimonials"
tom [quote/]

Tplumeri,
Obviously you confuse me with Pharaohawk27, and I have to thank you for attacking me as you have given me the opportunity to explain to the members that are not diligent visitors that I have been supplying the Mag 951, Borealis, Black Bear 720, Bear Cub and other high-intensity flashlights to the shooting community for three years, and that those pictures you allude to can be viewed at www.BlackBearFlashlights.com

I haven’t invented the beam shots. If you care to visit CPF forum you will see hundreds of similar pictures.

About Pharaohawk27:
I happen to know the young man. He bought a Borealis from me and I bought an unfired replica of the double action Starr revolver from him. He lives in Manhattan and I in Long Island; however, the pictures shown here were taken at his girlfriend’s parents’ home, coincidentally a mile from my own home.
I saw the draft of the post that bothers you on his laptop computer and gave him permission to post it. If I had known you will object, I would have suggested he get your permission, too.

This young man has inherited a great collection of guns, short and long, and an incredible collection of unfired Civil War replicas. I persuaded him to sell me the Starr revolver, as it was a piece that, as a watchmaker, I was highly intrigued to study (it was invented by a watchmaker).
I welcome Pharaohawk27 to this forum and I have encouraged him to post about the guns he had inherited. His posts can do much to entertain members and are more interesting that the post of the complainers.

In closing, I want to tell you that I haven’t any need to invent a “testimonial;” I have plenty already, thanks to my loyal customers.

And for those that are curious, this is a picture of the Royal Borealis, with low profile stainless steel crenellated bezel and Quick Detach Swivel.

Respectfully,
Black Bear
e-mail [email protected]
Old December 18, 2007, 07:26 PM   #5
tplumeri

Black bear,
my reply was not directed at you. its just that i saw a very similar post on another forum (with pics of a red and white building) that also seems alot like your site. my thought was that there are others selling your borealis for profit (distributers).
Ive seen your posts here and have spent much time at your web site. nothing but respect for what youve done (and alittle "why didnt i think of that").
i was born and raised in carle place (nassau county) would never Knowingly harass a fellow new yorker!
Sorry for the missunderstanding.
at least you got to post a pic of the Royal.

tom
Old December 19, 2007, 04:09 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

I could see where tplumeri might get that from - it's a very similar style to the way Mr. Black Bear presents his posts as well - so it does seem a bit "sketchy" when you first read pharoah's post - but now we've cleared up that he is a legitimate pleased buyer of a Borealis (as am I), all's well that ends well.
Old December 19, 2007, 09:45 PM   #7
hksigwalther

Another satisfied 1050 customer here.
Old December 20, 2007, 06:36 PM   #8
tplumeri

I could see where tplumeri might get that from - it's a very similar style to the way Mr. Black Bear presents his posts as well

Thanks. Didnt mean to cause a problem. Apologies to pharoah also. hope he continues to post here

tom
Old December 20, 2007, 07:34 PM   #9
black bear 84

Hi Tom,
For my part is no problem at all, sorry if I was a little harsh in my answer.
After all this is great family that we have here in TFL, best wishes for all of the members and

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Black Bear
e-mail [email protected]
Old December 20, 2007, 07:44 PM   #10
tplumeri

Thats why i love this forum! If you screw up you are allowed to make ammends. No hard feelings.
That, plus expert advise..... cant beat it!!
safe and happy new year to all
tom