The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 16, 2018, 11:25 AM   #1
Bullfrog21

New AR15 build

Is this upper any Good? http://karrisguns.com/kg-defender-El...er-bundle.aspx

Can't find much on the company
Old January 16, 2018, 11:47 AM   #2
TrueBlue711

Never head of them, but looks like they just put together parts from other companies. Ballistic Advantage barrel, Rise Armament trigger, etc. Looks like a good deal though. Could be a diamond in the rough, who knows.
I hear good things about Ballistic Advantage though. And their statement saying they're guaranteed to be sub MOA with match ammo is a bold one. I wonder if it's a money back guarantee...
Old January 16, 2018, 02:40 PM   #3
rickyrick

Looks like a decent barrel paired with a light trigger and a decent hand guard. The rest of the parts are unknown, but probably ok.
Not bad priced.
Have a couple of BA barrels and they are pretty good.
Old January 16, 2018, 04:15 PM   #4
Bullfrog21

If I paired it with a toolcraft nickel boron bcg do you think it would be a pretty solid rifle? I'm also looking at aero precision and sionic uppers. Also watching for PSA's premium CHF stuff. Do you have any suggestions for a AR15 build? preferably a built upper I can build the lower
Old January 16, 2018, 06:22 PM   #5
rickyrick

Nitrided bolts like the one in the link are popular now. The one in the link it’s probably a good bcg, but they don’t list the source.

Aero Precision is my favorite, they have BA barrels, because they own them. PSA CHF barrels are good to go, but BA is probably a little better.

We are talking about differences that probably would go unnoticed by the average person, me included.

If you have a specific setup in mind, don’t settle because you’ll end up swapping components later anyway.
Old January 17, 2018, 09:36 AM   #6
odugrad

If you have to ask if something is any good, I would avoid it. There's too many options out there at great price points to risk money on something with an unknown track record.
Old January 17, 2018, 09:42 AM   #7
Kvon2

As others have said it looks like you should be good to go but once you add the cost of a lower you're likely over $500 and for that same price you have a lot of options.
Old January 17, 2018, 06:10 PM   #8
Bullfrog21

I already have a stripped lower. My budget for a upper/LPK is $500 what else would you suggest I look into
Old January 17, 2018, 07:44 PM   #9
Kvon2

Browse the sales. Stag arms, PSA, bear creek, lots of others. There are always sales these days.
Old January 17, 2018, 08:12 PM   #10
DubC-Hicks

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...516446780.html

Here's another good option. Would likely be the way I'd go if I didn't want to assemble my own upper.
Old January 17, 2018, 09:06 PM   #11
rickyrick

PSA rifle kits are just fine.

That’s what My first AR was
Old January 18, 2018, 06:45 AM   #12
Nathan

It looks pretty good to me. Barrel and trigger are top notch. Not sure about the rest...I would call.
Old January 18, 2018, 10:22 AM   #13
Bullfrog21

Yeah I asked where they source the BGC and handguards from but they said they make them. I think I'll just buy it and get a toolcraft bcg. Would you guys recommend nickel boron vs nitride and stuff? It's only like a $10 difference
Old January 18, 2018, 10:29 AM   #14
Mobuck

" Would you guys recommend nickel boron vs nitride and stuff? It's only like a $10 difference"
I have a nickel boron BCG in one of my suppressor host AR's. It's easy to clean-basically just wipe it off. As far as longevity? Don't know as I don't shoot that many rounds thru it.
Old January 20, 2018, 09:07 AM   #15
jad0110

I can only speak for the Aero Precision upper - excellent, I'll definitely go with them again for my next AR. I did get the one without the Forward Assist - saves something like 3 to 6 oz of mass and my objective was to build a sub 6 lb carbine (including the weight of optics, sights, sling and light). The absence of a FA comes with the added bonus of not having as much crap getting in the way of running the charging handle ... nice! But to each his own.

You haven't mentioned the barrel. Depending on what you plan to do with the gun, the barrel is probably the single most critical component. For a lightweight, fast handling carbine a 14.5" (with a welded on muzzle device to meet the 16" min length) to 18" pencil barrel is probably a good bet. From someone like Faxon as an example, whose barrels are stress relieved so that your zero does not wander as much as the barrel heats up - other manufacturers have similar offerings, I can't think of them at the moment. Thicker barrels have their place too, especially if you plan to do 3+ mag dumps in a row. But for most folks building a general purpose AR (especially a 16" or so length) that won't be used to simulate a SAW or launch grenades, a pencil profile barrel from a manufacturer that stress relieves their barrels (only important if you want to maintain a higher degree of precision as the barrel heats up) is a good way to go. Also, a good quality barrel should probably be paired with free floating.

And then of course that gets into CAR vs mid length vs rifle length gas systems.

Last edited by jad0110; January 20, 2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old January 20, 2018, 03:51 PM   #16
rickyrick

Saying that they make them can just mean that they paid someone to make the components for them. If they were proud of the source of the BCGs, they’d announce it