The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 24, 2019, 11:00 AM   #1
Handgunner00

Question: Aluminum Grips

Any comments pro or con about adding aluminum grips to a CZ 75? I know nothing about aluminum grips other than they are more expensive than walnut or G10. Thanks for responding.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:40 AM   #2
LeverGunFan

The aluminum grips can be made thinner than wood, and maybe somewhat thinner than G10, so if you want a thinner grip that can be the way to go. No worries about them cracking or splitting either. I put a set of aluminum grips on a CZ75 Compact and have liked them enough to sell the wood grips I had bought. They do have a different look and feel. I see that AlumaGrips is now offering grips for the full size CZ75, whose grips are you considering?
Old May 24, 2019, 01:37 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Aluminum grips can feel cold. If they are anodized, bumps and scrapes will show up as bright white spots.
Old May 24, 2019, 08:42 PM   #4
Handgunner00

Aluminum Grips

Will certainly check on whether these aluminum grips are anodized before I buy them. Good info - thanks.
Old May 25, 2019, 01:14 AM   #5
Scorch

I just worked on a SIG 1911 with SIG aluminum grips (standard, not thin grips). While very attractive (checkered and factory emblem as part of the grip design), they were heavy, and made the gun feel really heavy. Probably helps with recoil having that much weight low down on the frame. Maybe for bullseye or as a range gun, but I would hate to have to carry it on my belt.
Old May 25, 2019, 07:20 AM   #6
Handgunner00

Aluminum Grips

Interesting - I would not have considered those 1911 grips to be manufactured from a heavy gauge aluminum. Were those grips thicker than the panel grips usually found on a 1911?
Old May 25, 2019, 02:12 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

Aluminum is heavier than wood, and heavier than some plastics.
My remark about anodizing also applies to paints like Duracoat, etc.
Old May 25, 2019, 03:24 PM   #8
Americanpatriot

I think G10 would be a more practical material.
Old May 26, 2019, 08:45 AM   #9
Handgunner00

Agree on the practicality of G10 material. I have G10 grips on my Colt 1911 and enjoy their feel, looks, and durability. Need to do a more in-depth comparison of G10 vs. aluminum grips.
Old May 27, 2019, 08:50 PM   #10
Handgunner00

Am going with the VZ/G10 grips. Thanks all for your insights.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:10 PM   #11
Pathfinder45

what is G10?
Old May 28, 2019, 10:55 AM   #12
weaselfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
what is G10?
Fiberglass laminate made under high pressure. Basically a very sturdy plastic.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old May 28, 2019, 01:12 PM   #13
spacemanspiff

I used to have the thin grips on a 1911. I liked them, but as noted above, they are cold. And checkering would be a good thing, mine weren't.

They look great though.
Old May 30, 2019, 01:31 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

"...Probably helps with recoil..." Really heavy steel grips were one of the many methods tried years ago on IPSC/pin shooting "race guns". Buddy on mine had a set on his 1911A1. Friggin' thing was like carrying a brick.
Al will be lighter due to the lower mass with the same thickness, etc. They're more expensive due to them being 100% machined. Colder than a witch's heart in winter just like an AL flashlight. Can't see any advantage or serious disadvantage(other than freezing your hand to 'em in winter. Like the kid's tongue on the fence post is The Christmas Story.) to 'em on any pistol myself.
"...remark about anodizing also applies to..." Pretty much any finish. I think Birchwood Casey is still making Al Black.
Old May 30, 2019, 01:48 PM   #15
Sevens

I have aluminum grips on only one of my handguns and it is one that has a lot of recoil. I like the look, I love the feel and as it isn't a carry gun, the weight isn't something I notice and if anything, it makes the experience better.

One thing that has NOT yet been mentioned with aluminum grips is that unlike wood, plastic or rubber, there is zero "give" whatsoever and this means that you can attempt to snug down the grip screws but they will loosen themselves regularly and without help, you can't stop 'em and it's royally annoying.

A drip of thread lock works, but that's also annoying, in my opinion, so a better solution are rubber o-rings between the grip and the grip screws. This allows you a slight cushion to tighten down the grips screws where they (hopefully!) stay put.

If I were outfitting a CZ-75 with new grips, I would head to Lok Grips and shop for hours and second and triple-guess my choices, as they have a mind boggling array and most are incredibly gorgeous. Very happy with the Lok Grips I bought for my CZ-75 TS.
Old May 30, 2019, 08:27 PM   #16
Handgunner00

All good points, thanks.