The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 25, 2016, 06:04 PM   #1
Charles S

Rifle Magazine Carrier

I am hoping someone with a little more experience than myself can help.

I have an upcoming rifle carbine class this fall and I am looking for a convenient method of carrying magazines.

A friend of mine has a light weight harnesses that held 3/6 (the pouches could expand to go 2 deep) magazines in the center of your chest. The straps went over your shoulders, were padded, and crossed in the back. It carried fairly high out of the way of your pistol belt. It did not interfere with arm movement or shouldering your weapon. That what I am looking for.

My Google fu is failing me.

What I am not looking for is a very large LB vest that holds 10-20 magazines, a pistol, pistol magazines, etc.... Everything I find is large and holds way more equipment than I want or need.

I appreciate anyone's suggestions or advice.

If you have taken a carbine class and something other than my idea worked well for you, please let me know.

Thank you.
Old July 25, 2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Model12Win

Look for a Rhodesian style chest rig. Here is mine for my PTR-91:

Old July 25, 2016, 08:40 PM   #3
Charles S

Quote:
Look for a Rhodesian style chest rig.
Thank you, I will.

Very nice rifle!

Thank you for the advice.
Old July 25, 2016, 11:04 PM   #4
Sharkbite

LOTS of chest rig options.

Blackhawk
Haley Strategic
Ops gear

Google "AR chest rig".
Old July 25, 2016, 11:50 PM   #5
armoredman

This what you want?

http://www.usgruntgear.com/m1rarelitrma.html
Old July 26, 2016, 06:38 AM   #6
Charles S

Quote:
Google "AR chest rig"
I did that.

Quote:
LOTS of chest rig options.
That is the point of the post. There ARE lots of options, but I could not find what I was looking for. I looked at Blackhawk, Haley Strategic, Ops gear, and others. They are not what I am looking for.

armoredman,

Thank you! That is exactly what I am looking for. I appreciate your help. That should work with my existing belt and carry holster. That will probably be perfect for the class.

Thank you all.
Old July 26, 2016, 07:20 AM   #7
g.willikers

First find out what the class requires in terms of ammo.
There might be plenty of time to fill magazines during the class.
An extra mag or two on your belt, or even in the back pocket might be all that's needed.
And definitely try out what ever system you choose well before hand.
Especially the prone position with chest rigs.
Nothin' funnier than seeing an overburdened fellow running around rattling like a castanet.
Just a thought.
Old July 26, 2016, 09:04 AM   #8
Charles S

Quote:
First find out what the class requires in terms of ammo.
There might be plenty of time to fill magazines during the class.
400 rounds of rifle. There will be time to fill magazines during class.

Quote:
An extra mag or two on your belt, or even in the back pocket might be all that's needed.
I plan on shooting this course with my existing belt, holster, and handgun magazine carrier. I do not live in a high risk environment and in all probability, heaven forbid, if I need a gun... It will be my handgun that I always carry. I do not want to train with something that I wont or cannot use. I do not plan on adding a rifle magazine pouch to a belt with a pistol and 3 other magazine pouches. One in the back pocket is inadequate.

Quote:
And definitely try out what ever system you choose well before hand.
Agreed. 100%

Quote:
Especially the prone position with chest rigs.
Nothin' funnier than seeing an overburdened fellow running around rattling like a castanet.
Just a thought.
Which is the point of this thread. I have tried a compact 3 round carrier and can shoot from prone with this system. Two deep (like most system) does not work as well for me. Most of the systems I found do not work for me.

Thus the thread and the question.

I don't need or want to carry a lot of magazines. Two to three extra rifle magazine is all I need for the class. This is training for fun. I will enjoy the class. I hope and pray I will never need the skills I am learning.

I feel that way about CPR/First aid. I am very good at those skills.. I would prefer to never use them again.
Old July 26, 2016, 01:24 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

Net search Mag Pouches. 'Carbine' is about the barrel length mostly. Usually the same mags as a rifle.
If your "carbine" is an AR-15 buy some M-16 pouches. The assorted surplus joints are full of 'em. 30 round pouches are usually not needed though. Even though most of 'em are for 30's. Pouch doesn't have to be real USGI milsurp either.
Anyway, Midway(pricey), et al sell single mag pouches at about $10. $24.99 for a 3 mag pouch.
A BP 'Possibles' bag or any kind of such thing works as well. So does a pair of pants with those nice big cargo pockets.