The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 11, 2001, 08:59 PM   #1
pepemarine

question for clay enthusiast

What kind of shot is better and why for clays 7.5,8,9´s?
what about powder charge?

any shotshell worth, i do reload.
any advice is welcome.
Old October 12, 2001, 12:23 AM   #2
Fred Hansen

That depends mostly on which game you are playing. For sporting clays or 5 stand an assortment of all of those would be appropriate. For skeet most use 8.5-9's, for trap 7.5-8.5's. 7.5's are generally the largest shot allowed on Trap or skeet ranges (for safety reasons).

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms [of government] those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson, 1778
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore