The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 27, 2017, 01:58 PM   #1
BluRidgDav

Are AR handguards getting too long?

As originally designed by Eugene Stoner, the AR platform had a set of plastic handguards that were supported in both the front, by the front sight base, and in the back, by the barrel nut. On the carbines, the handguards were only about 7" long.

Then, along came the "free float barrel" and "tactical accessories" trends, and eventually the front sight bases disappeared under the early aluminum quad-rails. Because quad-rails were so heavy, few of them were more that a foot long.

Now, most handguards have shaved off the 3,6 & 9 o'clock full-length rails, and become more tubular in cross-section, with small rail-pieces available to snap into m-loc or key-loc slots. But, many of them have grown so long that they reach all the way to the end of the barrel.

While the long top-rails provide an increased sight radius, for those that still use iron sights, instead of optics. Are we putting too much torque on that poor barrel nut, with accessories & sling attachment points now located 15+ inches away?

Do some handguard manufacturers do a better job than others, beefing up support around the barrel nut, to where it's less of a potential problem?

Or is there no problem anyway, and I'm just over-thinking this?

Thanx, Dave.
Old January 27, 2017, 02:53 PM   #2
9x19

Lots of folks tend to follow the shooting sports fashions (in both pistols and rifles).

The long hand-guard is a 3-gun type comp fashion, based on the hold that's popular in those sports.

I don't shoot 3 gun, and I'm too old to change so I still use a more conventional hold or (horrors) a vertical fore grip, so I still like the shorter hand-guards.
Old January 27, 2017, 03:12 PM   #3
bfoosh006

No offense... but yes I believe you are over thinking this.

Most quality handguards are pretty dang strong.

Eugene Stoner's carbine was meant to be a LtWt AR...but he didn't have the ability to use any of the current machining and materials that we do.

He also designed the carbine to be used F/A as well.

IMHO, free float tubes are great... offering much better versatility over Stock handguards.

And ultimately, the main design feature is Free Floating... think about the DCM free float tube you can install under a standard handguard... its main function is so you can sling up firmly.
Old January 27, 2017, 03:46 PM   #4
O4L

I will probably put a 15" handgaurd on my next build. I am 6'6" and have long arms so I would like more room to stretch out a bit instead of being all bunched up.

I don't hang accessories or slings on my handgaurds so I'm not too worried about them flexing.

I also like the look of the longer handgaurd on a rifle without the front sight post.
Old January 27, 2017, 04:15 PM   #5
6MT

Mine is 14" or 15" long. It does flex, but it is also more than .050" from contacting the gas block. So I'm not worried. I prefer the longer hand guard for 3 gun competition. And I don't mount anything except for the "ergo" fore grip as you can see in the pictures.

As someone mentioned earlier, you are over thinking this a bit.

Old January 27, 2017, 05:09 PM   #6
peggysue

I believe you are over thinking this.
Old January 27, 2017, 07:10 PM   #7
fourbore

I missed the whole point here - deleted. Senior moment.

Last edited by fourbore; January 27, 2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old January 27, 2017, 08:32 PM   #8
stagpanther

I don't really care all that much either way--from my point of view a longer rail gives better balancing for a tripod/bag rest
Old January 27, 2017, 09:47 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Now, most handguards have shaved off the 3,6 & 9 o'clock full-length rails, and become more tubular in cross-section, with small rail-pieces available to snap into m-loc or key-loc slots. But, many of them have grown so long that they reach all the way to the end of the barrel.
So there have been significant improvements in capability and adaptability. What is wrong with that?

Quote:
Are we putting too much torque on that poor barrel nut, with accessories & sling attachment points now located 15+ inches away?
Just because you have a 15" rail doesn't mean you have to put the sling attachment at the end of it.

Quote:
Or is there no problem anyway, and I'm just over-thinking this?
Let's see. You haven't identified any actual problems and are just hypothesizing them as justification for asking if handguards have gotten too long. I would have to say that you are way overthinking this.

The bottom line is that if you don't want to use a long handguard, don't. It isn't as if handguards have grown longer at the expense of doing away with shorter handguards.
Old January 27, 2017, 11:35 PM   #10
reynolds357

I guess as long as you do not shoot your finger off or burn your hand, it is not too long.
Old January 27, 2017, 11:56 PM   #11
lordmorgul

Are AR handguards getting too long?

Aero Precision M4E1 and M5E1 uppers do not have a barrel nut attach for the hand guard, instead mounting the hand guard directly to the upper. This works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 28, 2017, 01:55 PM   #12
Theohazard

The OP has a point here. Most free-float rails aren't truly free-floated since they attach to the barrel nut. They still give a noticeable improvement in consistent accuracy over traditional handguards since you're not putting pressure on the forward part of the barrel, but you can still put pressure on the barrel through the barrel nut. The longer the free-float rail, the more leverage you get, so you can potentially put even more pressure on the barrel nut with a longer free-float rail.

The question is, does this make a noticeable difference in repeatable accuracy? Some companies think it does, as manufacturers like LWRC, Aero Precision, and Daniel Defense have engineered proprietary upper receivers that attach directly to the free-float handguard and completely bypass the barrel nut. I haven't experimented with this myself, but it makes sense.
Old January 28, 2017, 03:19 PM   #13
rickyrick

All I know is that handguards and free float tubes are the nemesis of AR assembly. Often times it's the item that gets the most energy when shopping for them. Most are expensive and require proprietary hardware; sometimes proprietary tools. They can be the most expensive part of the build.

In the post-election era, I'm seeing combo sales with Anderson parts and expensive furniture.

It seems that ARs with shorter guards and longer barrels do look odd.
Old January 28, 2017, 04:43 PM   #14
Chainsaw.

Im "only" 6'2.5" and I appreciate the heck out of the longer forends. Shooting a stock handguard gun is like driving a 73 civic. I can do it, but more room is greatly appreciated.
Old January 28, 2017, 05:08 PM   #15
BluRidgDav

Thanx Hazard,

I've owned almost exclusively Colt AR's, since they started the whole AR business, and build to mil-spec for the most part. But, I've also watched what some of the other smaller manufacturers were doing to "improve the breed". At about the same time that many handguards reached the end of the barrel, I saw Aero Precision introduce their M4E1 upper receivers, and then Daniel Defense came out with their DD5. (Sorry, I missed LWRC's developments.) So, it started me thinking; maybe some companies, that are less traditional than Colt, are already evolving the barrel nut interface, to better handle these full-length handguards???

Plus, there are all those "monolithic" uppers out there . . . . .
Old January 28, 2017, 05:20 PM   #16
Jim Watson

I want a handguard that goes clear out in front of the muzzle with no openings except right at the breech end. Ever see a Lewis gun?
Old January 28, 2017, 05:36 PM   #17
dakota.potts

Jim, maybe something like this? http://gearsofguns.com/wp-content/up...16/07/MP18.jpg
Old January 28, 2017, 05:41 PM   #18
RoughDivider

My 10.3" barrel has a 10" handguard on it. I like it.
Old January 28, 2017, 09:00 PM   #19
Model12Win

No.

Today's modern operator needs more rail space and tactical accessories now than ever if they hope to operate in a dynamic warfighter battlespace.
Old January 28, 2017, 09:07 PM   #20
Mobuck

I don't shoot with "tight sling" support so I'm not much into the primary need for a freefloat HG. I do have 3 or 4 AR's with free floats but mostly because that's just what parts were handy.
Old January 28, 2017, 09:47 PM   #21
Jim Watson

No, Dakota, the Lewis gun barrel shroud is open only at the rear.
Muzzle blast draws fresh air over cooling fins.
http://modernfirearms.net/machine/usa/lewis-e.html
Old January 28, 2017, 11:29 PM   #22
dakota.potts

I know want to fabricate a Lewis-style shroud for an AR
Old January 29, 2017, 12:19 AM   #23
stagpanther

I'm currently researching large fancy rails with a good cut-out grate pattern that allow me to attach meats--cooking my lunch or dinner while I'm burning through multiple mags.
Old January 31, 2017, 01:28 PM   #24
Fishbed77

Quote:
No.

Today's modern operator needs more rail space and tactical accessories now than ever if they hope to operate in a dynamic warfighter battlespace.
That quote was all tactical as hell.

Of course, the same all applies to the mall ninjas that buy these products as well.

Personally, though, I really appreciate the 13" KMR rail on my BCM.
Old January 31, 2017, 11:18 PM   #25
turtlehead

The correct length for a 16" barrel is 12-12.5". All other lengths are incorrect.