The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old December 11, 2016, 07:19 PM   #26
Gunplummer

What makes you think Leupold scopes are produced completely in the USA? Even when most other scopes were still made in the USA, I stayed away from Leupold. Every(EVERY) time some one tells me about how great their Leupold scopes are, there is always a story coming about how they sent their scope back and had it repaired for free. I also have had good luck with used cheap scopes. I put a scope on a single shot 12 gage about 30 years ago. It was a cheap, short, imported rifle scope. It is still working today after hundreds of rounds. Let me tell you, that S/S has some recoil. Back when I did that, no (NO) US scope maker would guarantee a rifle scope on a shotgun.
If you want a "Working" scope, there are used ones out there. If you are looking to impress your Buddys, then shell out the bucks.
Old December 11, 2016, 08:45 PM   #27
Berserker

I agree. I dont want to use the warrant,y or know how good it is.

I got a good job, I can afford to buy American. I realize not all can. I do it for selfish reasons though. I live and work in America, so it benefits me in the long run.
Old December 11, 2016, 09:19 PM   #28
lefteye

I have had Leupold scopes for years without a single problem. Of course there are better scopes and, of course, they cost more than Leupold scopes, e.g., Swarovski, Nightforce, and Schmidt & Bender.
Old December 11, 2016, 10:09 PM   #29
Berserker

I was using VX-2s, this year splurged on VX3i 3.5-10. I cleared some runways and extended shooting lanes to 100 yards. Some deer came in. But ended up shooting at another blind at about 25 yards with well over hour of daylight.

Is the VX3 worth it? Dunno. Pretty close to my ceiling. I was looking at VX6s on sale. I think 3-18 would be awesome. Might try a used one.
Old December 12, 2016, 12:02 AM   #30
lefteye

A Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x is a great scope for hunting deer and elk. I have three of the earlier models of the same scope. After more than 30 years of hunting with scoped bolt action rifles I would never recommend a variable scope with a maximum power greater than 9x. I have always carried my rifle with the scope set at 2.5x and that enabled me to get my biggest 5X5 elk at about 25 yards. Adjusting the scope to 8x let me take a 130 lb. black bear at 400+ yards on the same hunt. Regardless of brand, a variable power scope for big game hunting needs a power range that will work a very close ranges. Longer ranges will not be a problem with an 8x or 9x maximum.
Old December 12, 2016, 12:30 AM   #31
JGoodman

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I did some more research over the weekend after hearing you all talk so much abour Leupold scopes and stumbled across this site whilst google searching for the best scopes: https://tangotactics.com

It seems to have a good explanation in what to look for when choosing a scope and I quite like the sound of the VX-1 as that also comes with a lifetime warranty
Old December 12, 2016, 08:16 PM   #32
Berserker

I leave my scope turned all the way down where I hunt. But I like to handload, work up loads, target shoot. Some of the higher end scopes cover a wider range. Someday maybe long range hunting.

3x18 would be low enough for hunting, and high enough for target shooting. 19 ounces.
Old December 14, 2016, 05:47 AM   #33
JGoodman

Thanks Berserker, do you or does anyone here have any experience with the Redfield Revolution Its got very good reviews on amazon and i've been told its one to consdier in my shortlist.
Old December 14, 2016, 07:19 AM   #34
rebs

For your budget you could buy a nice Nikon scope. I have 5 Nikon Prostaff 5 scopes and am very satisfied with them.
Old December 14, 2016, 11:50 AM   #35
Dranrab

I have two Revolution scopes. They are fantastic. They are built at the Leupold plant in the USA. Right there in Oregon where you are from has got to be a bonus! How do you get your ISP address to resolve to Egypt?

Last edited by Dranrab; December 14, 2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old December 15, 2016, 01:57 AM   #36
JGoodman

Rebs - Thanks, what are your thoughts on the P-223? As that one seems highly rated by many review websites.

Dranrab - I like to run a VPN to bounce my location around, I'm not the biggest fan of giving away my location to every site I visit. Especially after after all the info Snowden has released.
Old December 15, 2016, 04:37 AM   #37
eastbank

i have used leupolds no bull crap warrenty several times and leupold replaced two with brand new ones and both were over 30 years old and had been hunted hard. please tell me what scope makers that would- will do that yeasterday or today that are still making scopes. where do you send your 30-20-10 year old scopes to get repaired or replaced? you can ever send your leupold in to get checked and gone over if needed free, with fast turn around time and you don,t even have to be the original buyer. if i sound like a leupold fan boy, i am. eastbank.
Old December 16, 2016, 03:13 AM   #38
JGoodman

Thanks, after doing some more reading I think ive found a scope that ticks all my boxes. What do you guys think of the Vortex Crossfire 2, ive done a lot of reading on this scope and it seems very good. It was also rated as the best rifle scope for the money from https://tangotactics.com

I think this might be it guys, it even comes with a lifetime warranty like a leupold!
Old December 16, 2016, 06:20 AM   #39
eastbank

why would the reporter say a 3x9 scope would not be for long range hunting? i have shot game and targets at close to 500 yards with a 3x9 leupold scope with AO. and have shot several deer at close to 300 yards with a 4x leupold scope. and i think any good quality scope could do the same. eastbank.
Old December 16, 2016, 09:22 AM   #40
Dranrab

I just can't get past the Vortex name. Who names a rifle scope company after the swirl in the toilet when you flush it?
Old December 16, 2016, 11:15 AM   #41
FTG-05

Some good discussion here on inexpensive scopes. Nose around that web site, that has some ideas on good rifle scopes. He's an optics physicist and a shooter, so he's pretty knowledgeable.

On this page, the Vortex Diamondback pretty much winds hands down. That's what I have on my Ruger American Compact in 7mm-08 and that's what I'll be getting for my RA Predator.

Good luck!

ETA: It would *probably* help if I actually included the dang link: http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=77
Old December 16, 2016, 11:30 AM   #42
pete2

This year I bought 2 scopes, a 2-7 VX 1 rimfire and a Nikon P223 3-9. The Leupold is easier to see thru because eye relief isn't as critical. If I had a do over I'd put a VX 1 on the AR. In my experience 2-7 is powerful enough for a hunting scope. 3-9 is more popular and easier to find. A 2-7 is generally more compact and lighter than the 3-9s.

My 2 cents.
Old December 16, 2016, 07:45 PM   #43
Berserker

Around here 2-7 may be more common then 3-9, but its wooded around here.
Old December 16, 2016, 08:53 PM   #44
reynolds357

Vortex makes some good scopes, but from what I have seen, the Crossfire series is not what I would consider a good scope. Diamondback series begins to be decent.
Old December 16, 2016, 10:56 PM   #45
Saltydog235

If you have $250.00 to spend on an optic, pick one you like in that price range. 99% of the glass is made in the same place as are the tubes. Mechanics reticles and coatings are spec'd by the manufacturer but there's not a whole lot of difference between them. A $250.00 scope is not going to be a fine instrument, it's going to have more shortcomings than positives.

Personally, I'd save a bit more to get into the next level up. If you get to $400 or a little more, your options become better. Weaver Super Slam, Meopta Meopro, Leupold VX3i, etc. Most of them are made in Japan and therefore more reliable than the cheap Chinese/Phillipino crap.

Where optics are concerned you get what you pay for. Cheap optics will fail, it's not an if, it's a when.

I'd also suggest perusing sites like SWFA Sample List, SportOptics, CameralandNY or EuroOptic for their used and Clearance stock. Many times you can land a much better scope at a significant savings.

Good luck, choosing the right optic is harder than picking a rifle, at least picking the right one is.
Old December 17, 2016, 02:55 PM   #46
jcolon95

I have a Nikon p223 on my AR. Nikon has some nice scopes also vortex crossfire for under $250.
Old December 17, 2016, 04:32 PM   #47
Berserker

Amazon has Leupold VX-2 2x7, $270 free shipping. I have two of these. If not VX1 $200.
Old December 17, 2016, 06:17 PM   #48
Iwanttoshootbettter

2-VX2 3x9x40s
1-VX3I 4.5X14x40
1-VX6 3X18x50 CDS
On my practice gun the Ruger 10/22 is topped with Vortex diamonds 4x12x40 it's only 3 months old and the windage knob will no longer click in place and the numbers ring came loose,mailed it to vortex last Thursday very nice lady on the phone.Im just a straight up Leupold fan save longer buy better scopes.

Our God reigns.
Old December 19, 2016, 11:10 PM   #49
reynolds357

I have been a Leupold fan for many years. Low end Leupolds, high end Leupolds, Leupold bench rest scopes, you name it. Here lately, Meopta has just hurt my feelings. Maybe it is just my eyes, but dollar for dollar, they are clearer then Leupold and MUCH brighter. I think Leupold seems to be losing ground to the Euro glass.
Old December 20, 2016, 08:16 AM   #50
Jack O'Conner

I've had very good luck with my Bushnell scope featuring 1.5 - 4.5X settings. This is the Dusk & Dawn model and I'm very pleased with it. I bought it through Amazon for less than $80.

My rifle is a RUGER 96 in 44 MAG. The scope holds up well under this moderate recoil and zero remains constant. This tight group was fired at 100 yards from a steady rest.

Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; December 20, 2016 at 08:27 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
best rifle scope , optic tips , optics , scope review , scope tips