The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 10, 2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Da_swed

Gallager carbine

I am waiting for my .50 cal civil war Gallager carbine! it is an original but not in orginal condition so much see for youre self! and im need to buy new sights on it i will be shooting it in prob 2 weeks from now !

Old October 11, 2014, 06:18 PM   #2
pohill

I have an ERMA reproduction Gallagher. I use .535 roundballs, finger seated and smacked lightly with a mallet (no loading tool). When you close the action, the ball/bullet is seated further.
I also bought a Rapine mold #540300, made for the Gallagher. It might take you some time to find that mold - they're not made anymore. Check ebay. I bought the brass at Lodgewood for about $2.50 each. The brass lasts forever. You can hand load the rounds at the range. I use FFG Goex, as much as the case will hold - approx. 45 grs.
To keep it lubed, I spray PAM down the barrel every few shots, then wipe it with a dry patch. It really works well.

Here's a Rapine chart. Scroll down to the Gallagher 540300.
http://www.castpics.net/subsite/CurMolds/Rapine.pdf

Old October 11, 2014, 06:46 PM   #3
g.willikers

Thanks for info.
I never knew about this one.
Old October 12, 2014, 11:28 AM   #4
pohill

Da Swed, when you get the rifle, before you buy the loading components, measure the bore to see what caliber it actually it. I think the originals were .52, and some were rebored in .50.
Old October 14, 2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Da_swed

Quote:
pohill Da Swed, when you get the rifle, before you buy the loading components,
measure the bore to see what caliber it actually it. I think the originals were .52, and some were rebored in .50.
Yes i been thinking about that alot. i

did try reading up about it .Some said its 50 cal and ´some says it was 52 cal. ??
i relly need to check the boar!thanks for the info pohill relly i appreciate it i

need all help i can get .

Aslo i like the pic u posted of youre repro!

Also i never shoot carbines like this b4 can u use FFFg? or do i have to use FFG ?
Old October 14, 2014, 05:23 PM   #6
pohill

I use FFG in all BP rifles, and in my antique revolvers. Take it easy on the old gal.
The Erma repros were made with surplus machine gun barrels, with a fast twist - 1-18" (the originals had a slower twist).