The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 10, 2014, 10:36 AM   #1
70GTvert

Uberti Walker Kit

I wanted a Walker replica for some time now. In addition, I have built a pair of vintage 70's CVA BP kits, a Philadelphia Derringer and a flintlock pistol. Was able to practice cold bluing with them. So I went with the kit from Dixie. Very pleased with how it turned out. Even my "fake" case hardening turned out decent. Comparing it in person with my Uberti .22 12shot Peacemaker case hardening shows it came out pretty good. Unfortunately the pics don't show it to it's advantage. I used a butane soldering torch for the main part of it as it has a nice tight but high temp flame. On top of that I "dry brushed" Brownell's Oxpho-Blue. Once done with that I did the same thing using Birchwood Casey Super Blue. combined they do an excellent job of simulating the case hardening look. For the barrel I used the same two blues noted above, starting out with super blue and then finishing it with Oxpho-Blue. The sheen is semi-gloss but even in bright sunlight it has a uniform dark color, no haziness. I tried some Art's Belgium Blue on the backstrap and it looks nearly identical to the barrel. Looking to see how well it holds up to the cold blue I used on the barrel. If it outlasts the barrel, I'll re-do the barrel sometime down the line. Now all that's left is to get it out to the range before the snow flies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w1_edited-1.jpg (235.3 KB, 79 views)
Old October 10, 2014, 10:37 AM   #2
70GTvert

More pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w3_edited-1.jpg (218.5 KB, 61 views)
Old October 10, 2014, 10:40 AM   #3
70GTvert

Humm, it is only letting me post one at a time....
Now it won't let me upload ANYTHING, keeps saying the file is too big but I shrunk them down to small pics...Suggestion?
Old October 10, 2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Smokin'Joe

Open an account at Photo Bucket and follow the instructions. It's the best way to post photos.

BTW: Your Walker looks great!
Old October 10, 2014, 12:47 PM   #5
maillemaker

Negative on PhotoBucket.

Imgur is the best way to share images on the internet. Fast, simple, and no account sign up needed.

Steve
Old October 10, 2014, 01:59 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Nice faking of the color case hardening. My classmate bought a kit and made a cardboard shoulder holster which he slung on shoulder with another classmate's belt. He then wore a stetson. We howled with laughter. The shoulder holster positioned the grip right beneath the armpit where drawing it would be most awkward.

Anyhow, he was mocking a former classmate of ours who wore a stetson and told us that a very high shoulder holster was the most natural draw there was.

Back to the Walker. He took the Walker kit and color case hardened it at school. It came out terrific. He was pleased and doubly glad that it didn't warp (that can happen when you color case harden).
Old October 10, 2014, 02:15 PM   #7
campingnights

Say, that looks pretty good!

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old October 10, 2014, 09:04 PM   #8
Beagle333

Good lookin' Walker!

(I use photobucket)
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old October 11, 2014, 08:25 AM   #9
Smokin'Joe

Beagle, Thanks for coming to the rescue on my PhotoBucket comment. Maillemaker's reply made me feel like I was living in the technological stone-age.
Joe
Old October 15, 2014, 09:10 PM   #10
Darto

hey 70, I want to buy your genuine Walker. I have $150,000. Deal?