The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 3, 2010, 09:24 AM   #1
AWick20

Hmmm...time to buy a gun safe!

Well, I currently own 4 rifles. Well, one pellet gun They usually are just put a trigger lock on and sit in my room...Now that I am slowly acquiring more and in the market for a C15 I believe its time to purchase a safe! I am not sure how many guns I plan on buying but I want to have sufficient space in there! I recently with my grandpa looking at his guns and MAN! his safe was veryyyy crowded! I think like a 12-18 gun safe would suffice...also I dont want to drop a ton of money on this!! Anyone have any good reccomendations for safes?
Old October 3, 2010, 09:54 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

Most ' safes' are really residential security containers. They only buy you a limited amount of time in the event of a break in by thieves. Even a $1000 Liberty will only last a short time against professionals with hammers, prybars and a reciprocating saw.

Quote:
also I dont want to drop a ton of money on this!!
I thought that way till I took an inventory of the firearms that I had stored in a cheap safe - and came to the realization that storing $XXXXX worth of guns in a $XX safe is a really bad idea. Save your money, don't buy the next firearm and put that money towards a decent safe.

There's a well regarded member of this forum that can help steer you in a good direction about safes.

His website is :

www.zykansafe.com
Old October 3, 2010, 10:49 AM   #3
rtpzwms

A little reading to get you started. This should get you thinking in the right direction. Don't take it a gospel but as something to think about. No matter what you finally settle on some will like it, some will tell you how wrong you were. Anything that you get is better than what you have now.

If you live in an apartment you may have the need to move it more often than if you live in a home (move more often). With a collection that is still growing, guessing the size is IMPOSSIBLE. So just get the biggest you can afford at a good quality(your measure of quality). Good Luck!
Old October 3, 2010, 11:02 AM   #4
ZeSpectre

well, I'm of the opinion that ANYTHING is probably better than nothing.

An RSC (Residential Security Container) or "gun locker" can be decent as long as you can hide it in a closet or something. They won't slow anyone down much but they will keep someone from just walking away with things (as long as they are bolted down).

A real safe is going to run from $700 and up and will be HEAVY so you need to factor floor strength and location into the equation.
Old October 3, 2010, 10:51 PM   #5
yzingerr

I bought this safe to keep my kids prying fingers out.
http://www.stack-on.com/categories/s...es/products/49
Got it on sale for $350. Wish they had the digital combo version instock at that time, it was the same price!