The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 6, 2010, 11:06 AM   #1
takem23

870 ejection problems?

It gets stuck right before the ejector can push the shell out. I have to push the pump forward a little bit and pull back to eject it. Doesn't matter how hard I pump it. It does it about half the time. This is a loaded shell but it does it with empties too. It's an older gun and didn't use to do this. I replaced the extractor, plunger and spring but didn't change. Any ideas?

Old March 6, 2010, 11:55 AM   #2
zippy13

Sounds like an ejector problem: worn out or broken off?…. when you install the barrel does the ejector fit into the slot, or is the barrel free to rotate a little? Unfortunately, this it one of those repairs that requires specialized tools to properly rivet the spring to the ejector. Perhaps Scattergun Bob, our 870 guru, knows a shortcut fix, or can help with finding someone in your area to do the work; otherwise, you may be shipping your receiver to someone like Simmons.
Old March 6, 2010, 12:27 PM   #3
takem23

Ejector seems fine. Barrel fits snug. I sanded out the chamber with fine sand paper and I can't get it to jam. There were some rough spot and burrs. Not positive but I may of fixed it. I'll take crow hunting today and see how it performs. Thanks
Old March 6, 2010, 05:39 PM   #4
takem23

Still jamming. Definitely the ejector. Anyone know roughly what a gunsmith would charge to put one in. I know the part only costs a few bucks. Not sure how much labor is involved.
Old March 6, 2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Replacing the ejector is a factory job, and the thing needs a reblue after. But maybe it's not that bad.

With the gun empty, run your finger over the ejector assembly. Feel any roughness or sharpness? Some older, well used 870s have chips out of the thing.

Also, check and see if the extractor has full movement. Even after replacement, some crud in there can mess things up.

Also try different brands of ammo and see if the problem worsens, stays the same or goes away.
Old March 6, 2010, 08:25 PM   #6
b12alex

for and 870 anything a gunsmith would charge would be a deal specaily for an older gun im not sure about where you are but the gunsmith that i deal with does everything so you just need to find one by you that does that work
Old March 6, 2010, 08:38 PM   #7
takem23

Thanks Davemcc. I should clarify when I say older, it's from the early 90's. It doesn't have visible rivets on the outside of the reciever like my old wingmaster. I don't feel any roughness or sharpness. Really can't see a thing wrong with it.Extractor has full movement. Tried many types of ammo. When it doesn't jam it doesn't throw the shells very far. Just barely throws them. End up landing next to my feet.
Old March 7, 2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Try polishing the chamber. Attach some 4/0 steel wool to a dowel, chuck it up in a variable speed drill and keep it moving at low revs.

If the chamber is rough,as some newer Expresses are, it could impede extraction, though I'm unsure ejection would be affected.
Old March 8, 2010, 08:10 PM   #9
takem23

Took it to the gun smith. The ejector spring is bent. Hopefully he can bend it back. Replacing it will take a while and be costly.