The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old September 16, 2004, 05:31 PM   #1
Seadonkey

Gun buying/The internet

I plan to buy a CZ 75B 9mm off of impactguns.com (399.00) . I belong to a gun club/range, one of the active members will do all of the FFL services for free, for members. What is the downside of this as apposed to a BM store? BTW I live in MD.

BM = brick and mortar (aka: local store).
Old September 16, 2004, 06:49 PM   #2
2002gti

downside is you dont get to look/feel/handle the piece. + side is you save money especially since you can get the reg/transfer done for free. it's really a no brainer. if i had your hookup i'd be going nuts.
Old October 2, 2004, 12:53 AM   #3
mikikanazawa

I sold four or five pistols on gunbroker.com earlier this year. Nothing but good things to say about the people I dealt with; all paid the instant they won the auction and got me a legit FFL tag in the mail (I checked out each sale on atf.gov). Didn't leave me any feedback though, and I never bought anything thru gunbroker.

EBAY is a different story. About half the time the bidder never pays. When I buy things, it's usually not as described. Yeah yeah it took me like 20 transactions to learn.
Old October 5, 2004, 11:19 PM   #4
kelsey

Guns online

I run an online gun store. Basically, I have just started and customer service is a priority. If you are buying new guns, you have little to worry about since you can probably see the exact replica at any store. Most stores with credible products can offer you a money back guarentee. If they don't offer a guarentee I would be suspicious. Avoid anything that is sold "as is" unless you are looking for some serious work.

Kelsey
High Mountain Hunting Supply
www.luvtohunt.com
Old October 8, 2004, 10:36 PM   #5
saands

My only "less than perfect" transaction was a piece that was advertized as 95+ percent blue ... well, it turned out to be almost 100% blue, but the part that wasn't blued, was engraved with a previous owners name. I didn't feel that it was too upfront on the part of the seller, but I didn't ask if there was anything strange or objectionable about it. Ultimately, I decided to keep it, but I would have been a lot happier with 80% blue from wear. I've learned to ask a lot of questions ... if they won't answer clearly, then I just bail on the deal and consider it one of those "too good to be true" deals that are exactly that.

Saands
Old October 9, 2004, 01:21 AM   #6
prowler

I sold about fifty handguns and rifles together on auctionarms.com for over a year, just have one buyer nerver paid for it, I got charge for the fees but after I did gave a negative to high bidder and ask for refund they did the refund back to my credit card very quickly before I re-list it, it hapen on e-Bay serveral times it very dificult to get a refund for anything you have to wait and wait until you for got.

Anyone ever get refund back from e-Bay?
Old December 2, 2004, 07:19 PM   #7
PKAY

If you're buying ask alot of questions of the seller before committing. I almost always request additional digital photos (since you can't physically handle the piece). I have purchased numerous times from GunsAmerica sellers and have never been burned once.

Once you commit to the seller, follow through as a priority. Get your 01 FFL to send the signed copy to the seller and get your money to him ASAP. I usually send a certified check Priority Mail with a return receipt request.

Most legit sellers offer a 3 day return policy. So, if your FFL receives the piece and you go take a look at it and it's NOT as represented, return it at your own expense and request a refund.

Definitely peruse the seller feedback files to get a "warm fuzzy" about the person you're gonna be dealing with too. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is just that. If the seller feedback leaves something to be desired, don't buy from him.

Caveat Emptor, dude. Caveat Emptor!
Old January 4, 2005, 10:56 PM   #8
gunrunner

I see many of you were sellers, what would you do as the buyer, if you sent money and the FFL and then never received the gun. i would think firearms fraud would be a bigger legal risk than just not sending someone there box of ammo. anyone have any experience on the buyer side.
Old January 5, 2005, 12:16 AM   #9
2002gti

ive done a few deals where i sent the money but the buy was done through an auction. a couple of the purchases were actually gun shops selling. the auction has a $500 insurance against fraudulant purchases. i would be hesitant to send someone money by making a purchase over a board like this.