The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2009, 04:47 PM   #1
James R. Burke

30-06 brass life

I am sure this has been asked before, but just wondering how many reloads folks are get from there 30-06 about. I am talking about a fairly strong loads with good quality cases. Would you get that many more from say a Laupa compared to a winchester. Just wondering what people are coming up with in general. Thanks for any info. Jim
Old April 29, 2009, 05:42 PM   #2
wncchester

In general, it varies from three to maybe thirty. It mostly varies around how well your dies, especially the FL sizer and expander, matches your chamber AND the method you use to set your FL or neck size die and somewhat less around the brand of cases.
Old April 29, 2009, 08:35 PM   #3
Slamfire

For all rimless rifle cartridges you should set up your sizing dies with a cartridge headspace gage.

The basic reason is to avoid case head separations. If your case has to stretch 006" (or so), your cases will not be long for this world.

If your rifle is properly headspaced at the factory, and you size .003" below the chamber size, then the lifetime of good brass will be based on primer pocket expansion and case neck splits. And this can be a very long time.

I really don't recommend taking brass the 22 reloadings I took a set of 308 brass. I sectioned brass cases that failed due to case neck cracks or body splits. I noticed brass erosion inside the cases that had been loaded the most. The bottom 1/3 of the interior of the case looked spongy. Brass was being washed out. That weakens the case.

I don’t know a safe number of times brass can be reloaded. Still if you take 100 cases and reload them 10 times each, you have spent a lot of dollars in powder and bullets. Might be cheap insurance to buy new brass at reload 11. But it is just a guess.

Old April 29, 2009, 09:10 PM   #4
crowbeaner

I load most of my '06 ammo to around 46,000 to 48,000 CUP because I shoot it in a semiauto and a pump rifle. Problem is that I FL size every time with SB dies to make sure it all feeds as slick as STP on a doorknob. I have some cases that have been loaded 5 times and still look, feel, and measure fine. If you start pushing loads to 50,000 CUP you'll start stressing them more and losing them sooner. CLEAN them every time you reload them and keep your dies spic and span. Use good lube and don't trim until they exceed maximum for the book you're going by. With the 46,000 CUP loads the brass has more problems with being dented during ejection than by work hardening and stretching.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:59 PM   #5
James R. Burke

Thanks for the advice. This is a great forum. I feel the more I get into reloading the more I need to and want to learn more. Thanks again-