The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 8, 2018, 11:22 AM   #1
bp22

question about ruger security9

do any of you shooters have shooting imfo on the ruger security9, have heard some pretty good stuff. thanks
Old November 10, 2018, 10:53 AM   #2
MandolinMan

I've handled one at my LGS and wasn't impressed. You might check out this review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s66BXZ80ZjE .
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old November 10, 2018, 11:06 AM   #3
K_Mac

I have no firsthand experience.

I am a Ruger fan and have also heard good things, but for the money the SR series is my choice.
Old November 10, 2018, 10:56 PM   #4
Buckeye!

I owned one .. when they first rolled out .. Nice pistol , Glock 19 size and weight, good trigger , I liked the trigger .... But after 250 + rounds of various weights and brands of FMJ .. I really wasn't accurate with tbe pistol .. Seemed it liked 115gr Winchester FMJ best .. but I still couldn't dial it in .. My buddy has it now .. He likes it alot ... He runs 147gr through it ...
It could have been me , he seems to do better with than me ....
Old November 11, 2018, 09:06 PM   #5
Carl the Floor Walker

Personally, I would advise taking the Ruger SR9 and break it down and break down the Security 9. Now look at all the Steel in the Chassis, then compare. What gun do you think will last much longer and built so much better?

Now compare prices. Then shoot both. I doubt the Security 9 will be as accurate are as mild shooting as the SR9 series.

Red marks steel inserts.

courtesy Gunsumer reports

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; November 12, 2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old November 11, 2018, 11:29 PM   #6
Carl the Floor Walker

Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FErtczEVniA
Old November 14, 2018, 10:03 PM   #7
Winny

Owning both the SR9 and Security 9, I can tell you firsthand the security 9 is a fine pistol.

I believe the SR9 is a better built gun and will last much longer. I actually think the SR series from Ruger is one of the most under appreciated gun lines ever made. My SR9 is a real workhorse and shoots very well.

The security 9 is a reliable affordable lightweight pistol and the one known has shot very nicely. Not quite a tack-driver, but it gets the job done.
Old November 16, 2018, 01:34 AM   #8
lesgeaux

I have had very good shooting with my Security 9 and would recommend it to others. fit and finish good. Mine shoots accurate without need to adjust factory sights. Changing sights or adjusting them are easy. Points good. My opinion is that it is far underrated.

It is worth every penny.
Old November 16, 2018, 04:46 PM   #9
bp22

i went and bought one, did not get to shoot but one mag before the rain but all rds were in the target, I think it will be really good
Old November 18, 2018, 06:34 PM   #10
Winny

OP- congrats on the purchase. Let us know how you like the gun.

Quote:
It is worth every penny.
absolutely true!
Old November 19, 2018, 06:22 AM   #11
tallball

Congratulations to the OP. Ruger makes good guns.

Since I tend to own my pistols for many decades, I chose to spend a similar amount of money on used P-series Rugers. My kids will doubtless inherit them.
Old November 19, 2018, 08:42 AM   #12
bp22

this security9 I was afraid would be junk but it's anything but. this gun is low cost because they left some of the frilly things off which to me made it a better carry gun. can't say enough about this 300. dollar gun, really good value. also another 100 rds thru her yesterday no issues.
Old November 19, 2018, 10:51 AM   #13
Winny

Quote:
100 rds thru her yesterday no issues.
I'm over 1k rounds through my Security 9 with very few issues. I had one magazine through with 2 double feeds in it (WWB) but I cleaned the extractor and have thrown another couple hundred round through it with absolutely no issues.
Old November 19, 2018, 04:46 PM   #14
k4swb

My wife bought one without my knowing what she was doing. That never works out to the good for her, until this time.
She has never met a gun she doesn't like and it has cost her a little to find out that my advice is usually better than her guess.

She outguessed me on this one. I have an SR9 and an SR45 and was trying to steer her toward the SR9 but she really liked the looks and feel of the Security9 and snuck it by me.

In this case, she done good. she likes it better than my SR9 and shoots it as well as anything else she has.
The gun feels melted and smooth and is very carry-able.

I still prefer the SR series but this gun is a keeper.
Old November 19, 2018, 05:28 PM   #15
Siggy-06

I think I would rather have an SR9(I have a sr9c already) over the Security 9, purely from a durability standpoint, and the fact it’s striker fired over the precocked hammer in the Security 9. But for $300ish, it’ll give the SD9VE, Creed, and other similarly priced pistols a run for their money.
Old November 19, 2018, 06:47 PM   #16
bp22

the s no one knows how many rds you can put thru the security9 as compaired to the sr9, logic would say the sr9 has the edge but no one knows for sure. I believe ruger did there homework on this gun will see.
Old November 19, 2018, 07:26 PM   #17
Corona

I bought one about six/seven months ago mostly out of curiousity and because I had gotten rid of a few things and had the cash. My first impression was that it fit my hand really well and it’s a Ruger. No, it’s not build like the old P95 tank, but I liked the feel of it better than the SR9c I had a few years ago.

Mine has been reliable, 100%, for about 600 rounds. I doubt I’ll ever shoot it enough to wear it out. Accurate enough for me. I can keep them all in a six inch circle at 21 feet. Well with the occasional flyer. Could be the pistol, but it’s probably me. Field strips easily. Like the trigger a lot...nice short and audible reset.

I like this pistol. A lot. I like its size, feel, and balance. It works for me. And I don’t worry about any dings and scratches. And for $295 the price/value is just right. Fits in an old G&G holster for a Sig P229 (I don’t own a Sig...but this holster also fit a S&W 908 and 909 I used to own.)
Old November 21, 2018, 05:08 AM   #18
Carl the Floor Walker

The Security 9 IMO from looking at it and breaking it down and comparing to the SR9C as I pictured above, is a world of difference in build quality. I believe the Security 9 is just a bigger version of the LCPll, and the aluminum frame will start to fail if you plan on putting any substantial ammo through it. The same with the rails. For the amount of difference in cost, the SR9C represents a much better value. Tried and true performer. For instance I would not ever shoot plus P ammo through the Security 9, the SR9 no problem.

On the other hand, if you are a shooter that does not go to the range often and just looking for a nightstand gun, the Security 9 would make a good purchase. In fact that is IMO why they named it Security 9. Makes sense.