The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 19, 2019, 11:03 PM   #101
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... I don't have all the answers. I'm not one of the guys that has the solution to every possible problem. It is unrealistic.
Preparedness is a balance between what emergencies we might face and what we can comfortably carry around with us all day, every day.
Old May 20, 2019, 07:46 AM   #102
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
Jar, there is an easy way to check if your trigger scale is accurate. A one gallon jug of water weight approximately 8.5 pounds. Hook up a coat hanger to the jug and use your trigger scale to pick it up. If it reads 8.5 pounds or close, then your scale is correct.

Funny though how all the trigger pulls you list are light across the board, not just the LCP. 4 pounds for any double action hammer fired pull is incredibly light!
Good method.
Old May 20, 2019, 07:14 PM   #103
Road_Clam

Don't know how people are coming up with these uber light trigger pull #'s for defensive carry handguns but with my Lyman trigger gauge , my Beretta Nano breaks at 8 lb 2 oz , My wife's Sig P238 breaks at 6 lb. 5 oz. Every out of the box defensive carry firearm i've shot takes assertive muscle action to break a shot, exactly where you want your trigger break to be in an adrenaline filled, stressed and potentially life threatening situation. The P238 trigger is a perfect compromise of crisp feel and correct pull weight without being too stiff. My Nano is the max I would ever want for a pull weight, the Nano also has a long LOP which I do wish it was just a tad less pull, but I still feel comfortable and proficient carrying the Nano. Can't fault the P238 trigger it's perfect IMO.
Old May 20, 2019, 09:29 PM   #104
briandg

Quote:
When considering the LCP, and other pocket pistols the answer is yes.
Their intended "combat" use is as a up close, few feet away belly gun to ward off an attack.
To say an LCP is a "combat" weapon is like saying a Prius is a NASCAR racer.
That made no sense.

I get it, you think that a component should be left out if it doesn't fit in your design needs. I'm not at all certain what nascar, prius, and the lcp have in common.

Quote:
If the type of "combat" these small weapons are intended for isn't over with two or three rounds, let alone a gulag, you're done. And not reloading anything anyway.
I'm certainly confused when you say that. Do you mean that every time anyone uses an LCP it's always going to be over in 2-3 rounds, in death or a russian prison?

i guess that it doesn't matter anyway. The LCP doesn't work as a holdback.

Quote:
This allows the user to manually lock the slide open.
NOTE: when the last shot has been fired and the magazine is empty, the hold
open does not automatically hold the slide open
Old May 21, 2019, 08:40 AM   #105
Carmady

All this empty-mag-slide-hold-open stuff gave me a great idea.

Wouldn't it be cool if the cylinder on a revolver automatically flopped out when the last round was fired?
Old May 21, 2019, 08:47 AM   #106
Lohman446

I understand the expectation of a semi locking open on the last round. Its a fairly common feature. I also think it is a drastically over discussed issue with pocket pistols. Step one to seeing if it matters to the individual in question: Do you carry a spare magazine for your pocket pistol?

I say that as someone not overly fond of the LCP either. If I wanted a Kel-Tec I would buy one
Old May 21, 2019, 03:28 PM   #107
ms6852

I just bought the Springfield 911 and at 12 ounces it is 3 ounces lighter than the sig 238, the bersa, and the Kimber micro. The only lighter pistol that I shot was the ruger lcp at 10 ounces. Having shot all 3 mentioned the Springfield 911 was a lot smoother and easier to get on target quicker as it was not as snappy at the other guns I fired including the bersa thunder. The Springfield 911 is 100 dollars cheaper than the sig 238 and the magazines for the Springfield 911 are $24 vs $45 for the sig 238 and Kimber micro. Another thing for you guys that own the sig 238 or the micro Kimber the magazine on the Springfield 911 works on your sig 238 and Kimber pistols, so don't pay $45.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:19 AM   #108
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I'm certainly confused when you say that. Do you mean that every time anyone uses an LCP it's always going to be over in 2-3 rounds, in death or a russian prison?
The "gulag" was some sort of auto correct failure. Kind of like relying on an auto slide lock to know when your gun is empty that fails. Too much unnecessary automation for a simple purpose.
And yes, pocket guns aren't intended as duty wespons, and a Prius would get run over on a NASCAR track. Both two different animals, with different purposes, and resulting different necessary functions.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be cool if the cylinder on a revolver automatically flopped out when the last round was fired?
LOL, that pretty much says it all.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 23, 2019, 10:56 PM   #109
Fjblair

The LCP checks all the boxes for me. Terrific pocket pistol.
Old May 26, 2019, 08:27 AM   #110
lapetrarca53

I've got an LCPII....great pocked pistol, definitely not a range gun.

I also recently picked up a Shield 380EZ. While it's not really a pocket pistol, it's one helluva' fine shooter with easily manageable recoil., It makes trips to the range much more enjoyable.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:16 PM   #111
tarhealcracker

With all these new .380 pistols coming out and my traditionalist mind set it's sort of confusing. So many of them just kind of look funny to me. Sort of less businesslike, less lethal, etc. etc.
You produce a 1911 or antebellum Luger and I know you mean business by the wetness in me pants. Oh well. We must all adapt I guess.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:26 PM   #112
HighValleyRanch

^^^^^
Yeah, I've been thinking that if I ever had to pull out my seecamp, the perp would grab his cigarette for me to light!LOL
Old May 26, 2019, 02:24 PM   #113
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
^^^^^
Yeah, I've been thinking that if I ever had to pull out my seecamp, the perp would grab his cigarette for me to light!LOL
Don't underestimate a pocket pistol or the caliber. Your situation as a civilian will be totally different than that of a Leo. For example if you shoot a person attacking you and you shoot him once and he runs away you have been successful defending yourself. If that criminal is shot by a LEO and he runs away the LEO has failed because he could not get the cuffs on him and apprehend him. In the military we call it breaking contact and I am okay with that.
Old May 26, 2019, 03:39 PM   #114
HighValleyRanch

You didn't get the joke. Have you ever seen a seecamp. It looks like a cigarette lighter. I wasn't knocking the size or caliber or usefulness.
Old May 26, 2019, 04:04 PM   #115
ms6852

Nope never had seen one, my bad. Wow it is small might get lost in my pocket.

Wonder why they can't be sold in CA and MA.
Old May 26, 2019, 04:31 PM   #116
HighValleyRanch

They are on the list in CA. Smaller than a deck of cards and about .6" wide.
6 round magazine plus one, DOA only, .32 acp.
Old May 26, 2019, 05:05 PM   #117
JimCunn

"Forget the 380 (buy a P238 if you just can't) and get a P938...Not much bigger than the P238 and is still very easy to shoot. Plus you get 9mm power in a 380 sized gun".

I don't exactly have a Sig, but do have a Kimber Micro 9 and a Kimber Micro .380, both 8+1 due to using modified Sig mags in them. I like the Micro 9, but slightly prefer my three 9mm S&W 637-2 J-frames, and due to its convenience, I like the Micro .380 even more than the 9mm Jays. I do place more trust in the Jays.

SA trigger in the Micro .380 averages 3.3 pounds, the Micro 9 avg 4.3 to 4.5 pounds, and the 637-2, about 1.68 pounds.

Last edited by JimCunn; May 26, 2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old June 8, 2019, 07:23 PM   #118
cc1965

UPDATE
Thanks to everyone who posted opinions. After reading everyone’s thoughts and comparing several of the weapons side by side my final choice was the Ruger LCP2. Mainly because for my preference it had the best trigger pull. My second choice was the Bodyguard but the LCP2 trigger won. I also looked at the Taurus Soectrum but have read so many poor reviews of light primer strikes and FTF situations along with probably the worst trigger I felt on any firearm in my life. It felt like there was sand in the mechanism on the Soectrum. Very gritty and choppy. And I handled more than one. They were all the same. I was very interested in handling the Beretta Pico as was recommended by a few here. Unfortunately none of the retailers in my area had one in stock. Many refused to carry it saying they couldn’t sell them. While I could order one online fairly inexpensive, I took it as a bad sign that I couldn’t find one on a shelf anywhere. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to fire all the choices but I am eager to take my LCP2 to the range. All of the weapons had some good features that set them alart. The LCP was a nice little gun, But for me the choice was the LCP2 which feels like my LC9S so it seemed like a no brainer. Thanks again for all those replies.
Old June 8, 2019, 10:11 PM   #119
Average Joe

I carry a LCP in the summer, and LC9 in the winter.
Old June 8, 2019, 10:29 PM   #120
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Preparedness is a balance between what emergencies we might face and what we can comfortably carry around with us all day, every day.
That's a pretty good definition.

Nobody can be prepared for everything because practicality prevents it. Few people are anywhere near as prepared as they could be because it's miserable to live your life trying to be as prepared as is humanly possible. For the vast majority of people it boils down to just what you've defined it as.
Old June 9, 2019, 12:03 AM   #121
volkstrm

The NAA Guardian is a good pocket gun. I know because I have one in 380ACP. I carry it when I can't carry anything but a pocket gun. You can get ten round mags for it I carry one for a reload.
Old June 9, 2019, 07:00 AM   #122
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca53 View Post
I've got an LCPII....great pocked pistol, definitely not a range gun.

I also recently picked up a Shield 380EZ. While it's not really a pocket pistol, it's one helluva' fine shooter with easily manageable recoil., It makes trips to the range much more enjoyable.
Aside -- I was among those who snorted at the Shield EZ when it was first announced, mainly because it comes with 12 interlocking safeties LOL

But when I actually shot it, it was like "Dang, this is a well executed pistol right here." Very low recoil, very easily controlled. I'm not snorting anymore.
Old June 9, 2019, 07:03 AM   #123
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1965 View Post
UPDATE
Thanks to everyone who posted opinions. After reading everyone’s thoughts and comparing several of the weapons side by side my final choice was the Ruger LCP2. Mainly because for my preference it had the best trigger pull. My second choice was the Bodyguard but the LCP2 trigger won. I also looked at the Taurus Soectrum but have read so many poor reviews of light primer strikes and FTF situations along with probably the worst trigger I felt on any firearm in my life. It felt like there was sand in the mechanism on the Soectrum. Very gritty and choppy. And I handled more than one. They were all the same. I was very interested in handling the Beretta Pico as was recommended by a few here. Unfortunately none of the retailers in my area had one in stock. Many refused to carry it saying they couldn’t sell them. While I could order one online fairly inexpensive, I took it as a bad sign that I couldn’t find one on a shelf anywhere. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to fire all the choices but I am eager to take my LCP2 to the range. All of the weapons had some good features that set them alart. The LCP was a nice little gun, But for me the choice was the LCP2 which feels like my LC9S so it seemed like a no brainer. Thanks again for all those replies.
Enjoy the LCP II! It's a nice little gun.

I went with the Pico mainly because I really liked the trigger, and it has usable sights -- although as someone just said earlier, pocket guns are really intended for very close-quarters situations where sights don't matter much. I also found it online for under $200 which helped. The mag release on the Pico is frustrating to operate however, and I haven't ever become used to it.

You'll get a lot of mileage out of your new Ruger. (The LCP II also looks like a scaled down "real gun" whereas my Pico looks like...you have to love it because it's so ugly it's cute!)
Old June 9, 2019, 08:17 PM   #124
youngridge

Can’t go wrong with the LCP II, I have an original LCP, trigger is horrible, but it is small and concealable.

I dropped the Galloway Precision kit into my BG .380, it made the gun enjoyable to shoot and is a huge improvement, flat faced trigger, reduced travel to break on the trigger, trigger pull ‘feels’ lighter but I think it is just the flat trigger and reduced pull.....it is also my most expensive .380 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 12, 2019, 05:40 AM   #125
JimCunn

You guys aroused my curiosity, so I used my Lyman gauge to check my Kimber Micro .380.
It averages between 3 Lb 9 Oz to 4 Lb.