The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 13, 2019, 05:34 PM   #351
Road_Clam

Does anyone feel better now that we have 350+ posts arguing opinions over a brand of handgun ?

If you must ask, yes I do own a G22 . Is it my most loved ? No, but it's my wife's favorite and it in NO way deserves to be hate bashed.
Old March 13, 2019, 05:44 PM   #352
GarandTd

I don't own a Glock so I'm pretty much neutral, but there are plenty of opinions floating around about High Point, Taurus, Turkish guns, etc, etc, etc.... Why should Glock be immune?
Old March 14, 2019, 06:50 AM   #353
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers13 View Post
You should have looked on gun broker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No kidding..I just scored a NEW Glock on GunBroker for about 2/3 of 'MSRP'...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old March 14, 2019, 07:02 AM   #354
BBarn

I find it interesting that many shooters dislike various things about Glocks, while at the same time nearly every manufacturer produces pistols that share many of the same design features and characteristics. And those pistols represent a huge slice of the handgun market.
Old March 14, 2019, 07:13 AM   #355
Skans

Quote:
No, but it's my wife's favorite and it in NO way deserves to be hate bashed.
If you read my OP (yes, I'm the one who started this thread), I had no intention of making this a "bash Glock" thread. I too own a Glock 17 - have had it for about 25 years. I started this thread in response to a thread that got closed about Glocks - the premise of that thread was along the line that Glocks are perfect and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

Glocks are perfect for some people. They are good quality guns. But, Glock just doesn't work for me, and I explained why. But, by no means did I intend this thread to be a Glock bashing thread at all.
Old March 14, 2019, 08:42 AM   #356
Laz

Glocks certainly give rise to many opinions and seem to generate their own publicity. And people buy them. And buy them. And buy them some more.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old March 14, 2019, 09:23 AM   #357
Glenn E. Meyer

So Skans, if you want this closed - let us know if you can get a grip on the angle of the discussion?
Old March 14, 2019, 10:16 AM   #358
Tallest

Human nature is fascinating. We put so much energy into our differences that we don't see them for the natural asset they are. Not only (in the US at least) are we free to own and carry and collect hand guns, we can choose from a vast assortment. Each item available is a reflection of a different purpose, or a different taste, or a different inspiration, or a different era.

Then take each of us: We're all different from the genetics what wrote our design up through the multi-quintillion possible sets of combined experiences that have shaped our lives perspectives.

But somehow we repeatedly arrive at conclusions like:
"I'm right!"
"You're wrong."
"You can't see the big picture."
"I'm more qualified to know that than you are!"
"Your way is doomed to failure!"

Let's just be glad that we have so much to chose from. Variety is spicy! And, I might add, that if everyone wanted a colt 1911 Gov. in 45 ACP, We'd probably have waiting lists past our expiration dates.

And FWIW, none of the above is intended as to impugn this thread. We can certainly discuss our vast selection of opinions and their origins. But the vitriol that surfaces from time to time... good grief!

I personally love all my Glocks and look no further for a semi auto pistol platform. Not that it would bother me to own a 1911.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old March 14, 2019, 10:17 AM   #359
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz View Post
Glocks certainly give rise to many opinions and seem to generate their own publicity. And people buy them. And buy them. And buy them some more.
I think the popularity is a lot like the popularity of IBM in the early days if computers. Like Glock, the IBM computers were reliable but more expensive than much of the competition. It was said that IBMs were recommended because "nobody ever got fired for recommending IBM".

Several years ago when I first got interested in handguns, I asked a FBI agent friend what I should buy. Without hesitation, he recommended Glock but due to the cost, I bought a remarkably similar S&W for half the price of a Glock.
Old March 14, 2019, 11:11 AM   #360
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
I think the popularity is a lot like the popularity of IBM in the early days if computers. Like Glock, the IBM computers were reliable but more expensive than much of the competition. It was said that IBMs were recommended because "nobody ever got fired for recommending IBM".

Several years ago when I first got interested in handguns, I asked a FBI agent friend what I should buy. Without hesitation, he recommended Glock but due to the cost, I bought a remarkably similar S&W for half the price of a Glock.
If you're buying a brand new S&W for half the price of a Glock then you're looking at an overpriced Glock or a very cheap S&W. There is a significant cost difference in many cases between them online, but usually not that much. Still, I do wonder if Glock will ever lower its prices. To some extent I guess they don't need to as they keep making sales, but would they make more at a lower price? I also wonder if it isn't possible to lower a price so much as to make someone think the product is cheap rather than inexpensive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old March 14, 2019, 11:16 AM   #361
Skans

"So Skans, if you want this closed - let us know if you can get a grip on the angle of the discussion?"

This one has been entertaining, but I think it's time to close it. Fifteen pages about Glock Handguns - crazy! I am glad folks kept it civil.

Glocks: Love 'em. Hate 'em. Shoot 'em - what more needs to be said?
Old March 14, 2019, 11:24 AM   #362
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers13 View Post
You should have looked on gun broker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No kidding..I just scored a NEW Glock on GunBroker for about 2/3 of 'MSRP'...
Isn't that a used gun site?
Old March 14, 2019, 11:26 AM   #363
totaldla

$499 for G23 vs $299 for M&P40 2.0 Compact.
Old March 14, 2019, 06:02 PM   #364
saleen322

Quote:
What I Don't Like About Glock...
With me it is not that I dislike Glock, I just never had a reason or desire to get one. As a LE firearms instructor for over 30 years I have fired thousands of rounds from Glocks. The shoot okay accurate, they are simple, no unusual reliability problems, and are easy to get accessories for. However I owned and shot other types as well as competed long enough to know there are better pistols available. I am not a big fan of plastic pistols but do see they have an application. Years ago I wanted to have a plastic service pistol to take to instructor classes that I did not care about scratching up. Got a great deal on a XD when they were first out that unlike Glock would shoot lead bullets as well as jacketed and I still have it with no problems to date.

Glock has the Blue Label program where you can get one for low cost and that is a good feature. If you like Glock, there are a lot of them available. Buy and shoot what you like. YMMV
Old March 15, 2019, 07:24 AM   #365
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldla View Post
Isn't that a used gun site?
Gun Broker? Not at all..new and used. My Glock I bought was NIB..I just bought a second revolver, NIB..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old March 15, 2019, 07:29 AM   #366
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldla View Post
$499 for G23 vs $299 for M&P40 2.0 Compact.
Apples to Apples please..S&W 'lists' that handgun at $569.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-m20-4-compact

Glock 23 is $599..sure there are better prices 'out there', for G23 also but need a level playing field to compare things like 'prices'..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old March 15, 2019, 07:49 AM   #367
TunnelRat

The level playing field is the market. Right now the M&P in 40SW, 1.0 and 2.0, is very affordable and much less than a Glock. There are a number of options less than a Glock. It is what it is.

Old March 15, 2019, 09:22 AM   #368
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
The level playing field is the market. Right now the M&P in 40SW, 1.0 and 2.0, is very affordable and much less than a Glock. There are a number of options less than a Glock. It is what it is.

GunBroker, the market and sure, not a lot will sell for this but the M&P 40 listed from $319 to $519..All I'm saying that the 'price' ought to be some 'standard' is all..like 'factory' MSRP..even if it isn't accurate. Plenty of new G23 in the $400 range.....

"Tools not Trophies”
Old March 15, 2019, 09:40 AM   #369
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
GunBroker, the market and sure, not a lot will sell for this but the M&P 40 listed from $319 to $519..All I'm saying that the 'price' ought to be some 'standard' is all..like 'factory' MSRP..even if it isn't accurate. Plenty of new G23 in the $400 range.....
MSRP isn't market price, which is a good thing. As the consumer I care about what I can buy the product for currently. There are cheaper firearms. That's the reality. Arguing against that fact is ridiculous frankly.

Old March 15, 2019, 09:43 AM   #370
USNRet93

Quote:
MSRP isn't market price, which is a good thing. As the consumer I care about what I can buy the product for currently. There are cheaper firearms. That's the reality. Arguing against that fact is ridiculous frankly.

Gee, not really 'arguing', sorry you take it that way.

http://thereloadingzone.com/shop/fir...mpact-40-sw-2/

http://thereloadingzone.com/shop/fir...-g23-g4-40-sw/

Quote:
Right now the M&P in 40SW, 1.0 and 2.0, is very affordable and much less than a Glock.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old March 15, 2019, 09:46 AM   #371
TunnelRat

So you found a place where it costs more despite numerous places where it costs less and you then compare it to one of the cheaper prices on a Glock. Seems fair.

You know what I hate about Glocks? The fanboys.

Old March 15, 2019, 09:59 AM   #372
USNRet93

Quote:
So you found a place where it costs more despite numerous places where it costs less and you then compare it to one of the cheaper prices on a Glock. Seems fair.

You know what I hate about Glocks? The fanboys.

That was pleasant, I don't like MOPAR either..out...

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; March 15, 2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old March 15, 2019, 10:46 AM   #373
TunnelRat

My opinion isn't always pleasant.

I think Glocks are reliable firearms, typically more accurate than people credit them for, and the size and weight for the capacity is often, even to this day, better than the competition. These are some reasons why I carry and trust my life to them. But what I see on this forum and other forums are people that own Glocks start regarding them as the penultimate choice. Then when someone points out that even in some small way a competitor might be better, be it ergonomics, cost, etc, those people go to, in my mind, seemingly ludicrous lengths to defend an inanimate object. And I find this tiring. Now this phenomenon exists with other brands as well, undoubtedly, but it certainly seems to happen with Glocks. It's not all users, and certainly part of it is just good old fashioned discussion, but in my mind it gets to a point of mania in some instances. And yes, I don't like it. Seeing as this is an opinion thread, that's my opinion.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 15, 2019, 10:54 AM   #374
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93

Apples to Apples please..
I gave you real prices from Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore - the best low-cost online outlet I've used. The fact is that S&W beats Glock by $200 for identical pistol.

And that is my gripe about Glock - they're too expensive for what they are.

I bought my first Glock in 1992, and I think it was less than $300 (but my memory is foggy). At the time, they had no competition. Times have changed.
Old March 15, 2019, 01:21 PM   #375
USNRet93

Quote:
My opinion isn't always pleasant
Ok but gee, you really ‘hate’ me(admitted Glock fanboy)? I donno, ‘hate’ is such a big word. I only, truely ‘hate’ 2 people, one was my ex biz partner who lied and stole from me. I don’t even ‘hate’ you mr TR...

"Tools not Trophies”
Closed Thread