The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 3, 2018, 05:35 AM   #76
B.L.E.

Quote:
(But I'd still rather be in a collision with a 40 ton truck with 1000 ft-lbs of energy than hit by 1000 ft-lbs of electrons.)
A 40 ton projectile would have to be traveling 0.61 mph in order to have 1000 ft-lb of KE. It would likely just harmlessly push you out of its way.
Old July 3, 2018, 05:40 AM   #77
Kirosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA View Post
I think this claim has been debunked. At least this guy thinks so and I'm inclined to agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrHpe5Z93wM&t=317s
I'd argue that a drone and plastic don't compare to soft tissue and all but I don't shoot .50 BMG, don't kill deer when I miss, or go for head shots on deer. If it is fake, it is only a representation of what I mean by energy on target.

I guess I will have to instead go with ballistics gel. The round enters target and creates a permanent wound cavity. The larger temporary wound cavity made is my justification of energy over mass.

I've also never shot ballistics gel. My opinion is in no ways fact.

I think we are getting to beating a dead horse with this. There is no definitive proof stated in this thread for either mass or energy, just opinions.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Old July 3, 2018, 10:57 AM   #78
TXAZ

.50 BMG & shockwave
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA View Post
Not to nitpick too much but post #64 has a link to a Youtube video that claims a near miss with a .50 BMG killed a deer.

"Unbelievable .50 BMG Whitetail Deer Hunt at Legends Ranch"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P3u...youtu.be&t=170

I think this claim has been debunked. At least this guy thinks so and I'm inclined to agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrHpe5Z93wM&t=317s
It has been totally debunked. The bullet went through the eye which was the spray in the video.

I shoot a lot of .50 BMG, and seen someone get (almost) too close to the muzzle on firing.
Other than some very unpleasant hot gas getting very close (and an ear problem), their arm didn't come off and skin remained intact.
I'll post a picture of the gas if that helps.

Here's a link to the pic:
https://i.imgur.com/p0EBbQy.mp4
There's a shockwave, on a really good monitor you can see it, but look at the shaking of the shooting mat. If a .50 BMG had enough energy in the shock wave to take off an arm or kill by (non contact) concussion, it would easily tear off the front of the shooting pad. (But the gas does a great job of clearing weeds)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; July 3, 2018 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Adding pic of .50 BMG gas / shockwave
Old July 3, 2018, 03:42 PM   #79
44 AMP
Staff

I have been blown off the turret of an M60 tank by the blast from a 105mm main gun, (and, the sob was firing Sabot!!)

compared to that, a .50BMG isn't so much.

Some years ago, there was a rifle called the Desert Rhino. .50 BMG and a 16" barrel with a HUGE muzzle brake. The writer said that while recoil was ..tolerable..what bothered him most was the 3rd shot cracked his shooting glasses from the blast.

kill a deer with a .50 BMG slug without hitting the deer? No.

kill a squirrel with a "near miss", possible. My grandfather taught me how to "bark" squirrels with a 12ga. It does work, kill's 'em DRT.

Shot at a ground squirrel once with a .45ACP. Missed him, hit the rock he was on, he flew about a dozen yards in the air, landed dead. Small animals can be killed from a near (enough) miss. Larger ones, no, ain't happening.

There was a GI in WWII (battle of the bulge if I remember right) was grazed on the neck by an 88mm round from a Tiger tank. Messed him up, but he survived.