The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 26, 2017, 01:55 PM   #1
Model12Win

Cleaning and Reusing Patches?

Anyone ever heard of cleaning and reusing cotton cleaning patches, at least for muzzleloaders? I have a book on flintlocks here where the author says to put the dirty cleaning patches in an old sock, tie it off, and wash and dry them in the machine. Good as new.

Anyone ever tried this? I use a LOT of cotton patches cleaning my black powder guns and am looking for a more economical way.
Old February 26, 2017, 03:35 PM   #2
jhenry

I shot flint offhand matches every weekend for many years. I used a zippered mesh bag and when it was about half full it went into the washing machine. I have no idea how many cycles I used to get out of a patch but it was LOTS. I use cotton baby flannel. It has a nap on both sides and works far better than plain cotton.
Old February 26, 2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Irish Jack

I doubt their is any value in cleaning patches? The patch is your fire wall most important in accurate loads. I use Teflon treated sail cloth or cotton drill pocket liner. These are tough patches. They are weakened after being shot.
Old February 26, 2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Pahoo

Nope, never had to, so far

We are talking about cleaning patches as opposed to patches for round balls.

When I was a kid and saved most of my pennies for ammo. I use to cut up old T-shirts. I know this fabric has a name but for now, it kind of slips my mind. ..

Now that I an older and have more money, I buy the same material for cleaning my M/L's. The fabric stretches and traps a lot of ash and carbon. For smokeless powder. I buy cut patches from a shop that cuts them. I also buy their scraps. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 26, 2017, 04:45 PM   #5
44 Dave

I use my wife's rotary fabric cutter and her quilting cutting board to make old t-shirts in to cleaning patches, the cost is 0. Those first patches down the barrel "stink to bad to and are not allowed in house", let alone in the family washing machine.
Old February 26, 2017, 05:11 PM   #6
Dufus

I never thought of cleaning patches for reuse I guess because I use a mop with hot soapy water for my cleaning solvent. I do clean the mop after each use.

After I get the barrel nice and warm, I just flush it with hot water for the final rinse.

Since it is warm it dries rather well, then I will swab it with an oil soaked patch. I do save those for reuse, but I don't wash them.
Old February 26, 2017, 05:21 PM   #7
Model12Win

Yes I'm talking of the cleaning patches, NOT "shootin' patches" as it were.
Old February 26, 2017, 05:42 PM   #8
Old Stony

No way my wife would allow those nasty cleaning patches in her washing machine...and I don't really blame her. It's not like you are saving a lot of money in the long run.
Old February 26, 2017, 07:18 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

I guess if your are that "frugil" then go for it. To me, it seems a little extreme.

I haven't purchased cleaning patches in years. I have three different diameter hole saws that I have removed the center drill from and ground the cutting teeth off of - and then sharpened the edge.

I go to Joanne Fabrics and buy cotton flannel off of their bargain table - I really don't care if it is white or has a pattern. I take it home. wash it to remove the sizing and then dry it.

I chuck my cutter up in the drill press, fold a number of layers and use a scrap piece of board or dimension (2 X 4, etc.) as a backer and just start cutting them In short time. I have enough to last me for several years for all of my cleaning. While I usually "cut at the muzzle" for my ball patches, I also make ball patches the same way - melt my lube in a tupperware bowl int he microwave and throw them in - take 'em out sandpit dry with paper towel.

I'm supposing that if you are reusing your cleaning patches, you are going downrange and collating your projectiles to melt and recast as well?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 26, 2017, 08:02 PM   #10
jhenry

Oh I've collected loads of spent balls to recast. Only balls though. More modern stuff is not pure lead but they do make good sinkers.
Old February 26, 2017, 08:14 PM   #11
Hawg

Washing cleaning patches seems a little extreme unless you live in the wilderness. I quit using patches to clean with a long time ago.
Old February 26, 2017, 08:36 PM   #12
JWT

I cut up old T shirts whenever I have them. Washing patches is a bit too much of a "long long climb for a short slide" for me.

For shot guns I buy cheap towels on sale and cut them up.
Old February 26, 2017, 09:53 PM   #13
Beagle333

No.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 26, 2017, 09:57 PM   #14
RolandD

I don't care for t-shirt material as cleaning patches. I prefer to cut up old sheets and use them.
Old February 26, 2017, 09:58 PM   #15
DD4lifeusmc

Haven't bought cleaning patches in over 30 years.
I use old flannel shirts. cut patches as I go and I put them in an old sock and wash them
two or three times at least.
Last resort reuse to wipe down the gun with gun oil, then toss them.
I see no sense in wasting a patch they will come clean in the wash
Old February 26, 2017, 11:31 PM   #16
Fingers McGee

Nope. Never tried it. Patches are easy to come by.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 27, 2017, 06:44 AM   #17
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I would give it a try If I only could get my wife to iron them.
Old February 27, 2017, 06:51 AM   #18
mdcmn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee View Post
I would give it a try If I only could get my wife to iron them.

Lucky

My wife wouldn't know which end of the iron gets plugged into the wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old February 27, 2017, 08:51 AM   #19
maillemaker

For cleaning patches, let me introduce you all to medical gauze:

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/derma...nch-4-ply.html

Never again will you make your own cleaning patches from t-shirts.

These cost $.004 each. No, I did not miss a decimal place.

You can get 200 of them for 82 cents. Or get 8000 of them for $32 and have a lifetime supply.

These things pull a little fuzz if you run them over a burr in metal but other than that they are fantastic. I have used them exclusively for cleaning now for years.

They are poly.

If you want honest-to-goodness cotton ones, they are just a tiny bit more expensive:

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/mckes...nch-4-ply.html

I'll never bother with making my own or trying to salvage cleaning patches again.

And they are WAAAAY cheaper than buying patches specifically made for gun cleaning - those are an absolute rip-off.

Steve
Old February 27, 2017, 02:07 PM   #20
45 Dragoon

mdcmn7, get her a Coleman gasoline iron and she won't need to plug it in!! Lol!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old February 27, 2017, 02:45 PM   #21
T. O'Heir

Why do you want to put toxins (lead, copper, etc.) into your water supply?
In any case, cotton that's not woven will disintegrate in a washing machine.
"...use a LOT of cotton patches cleaning my black powder guns..." You're doing it wrong. You need to let the solvent(plain water or soapy water) do its job.
Old February 27, 2017, 09:05 PM   #22
jhenry

And just where do the toxins you clean out go.

At any rate, cleaning patches have no lead only fouling. Lead never touches the inside of the bore. No copper at all. Don't know where that idea comes from. Carbon, some sulfur and some nitrites. That's about it.
Old March 6, 2017, 06:54 PM   #23
North East Redneck

Interesting idea I guess. Never tried it and likely won't. Patches, primers/caps, bullets and powder are consumables. For me it's part of the cost of shooting.
Old March 7, 2017, 10:00 PM   #24
4V50 Gary
Staff

Depending on whether your patches are cut up or not, they can be recycled. I save mine for the char cloth tin and I finally found a source of non-screw tins: San Francisco's Chinatown herb stores. Hong Kong made (and not Workers' Paradise) fruit flavour individually wrapped hard candy in a convenient size tin.