The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 21, 2017, 09:09 AM   #1
Kvon2

2017 - My Black Powder Year

Hi all,

I've been "collecting" for about 5 years now and was wondering where I might go next. I just recently bought an in line muzzleloader because I plan to use it for hunting this year and it is the first black powder firearm I've ever owned.

I have to admit, I'm having a great time with it. Of course now the flood gates are open and I immediately want a cap and ball revolver, percussion cap pistol and rifle. Looks like 2017 might get pricey!

Any suggestions or tips to someone just getting in to the black powder game?
Old January 21, 2017, 09:22 AM   #2
DD4lifeusmc

tips

yeah deep pockets as it gets addictive.
You will need accessories and you will need to shop around both for quality and fair price
Old January 21, 2017, 03:00 PM   #3
Model12Win

Well the guys here mainly shoot cap and ball revolvers so they'll be able to help you with that. I've tried them and found I enjoy the single shot pistols a lot more. Much less hassle, nothing to jam. Here is mine:

It's a Pedersoli made Harpers Ferry U.S. martial pistol, .54 caliber smoothbore. Super accurate and tons of fun to shoot. I have never had a misfire with this gun in over 300 rounds.
Old January 21, 2017, 07:59 PM   #4
BlackPowderBen

For a first black powder revolver, I would recommend a 1858 Remington, no cap jams with one of those.
Just remember, once you start shooting black powder, there is no going back
Old January 22, 2017, 07:42 AM   #5
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win
It's a Pedersoli made Harpers Ferry U.S. martial pistol, .54 caliber smoothbore. Super accurate and tons of fun to shoot. I have never had a misfire with this gun in over 300 rounds.
Not to mention that no barrel is easier to clean than a smoothbore. Someone knowledgeable about smoothbores told me that at typical pistol ranges, 25 yards or so, you can hardly tell the difference between a rifled and a smooth bore in accuracy. It's the longer ranges where the rifled bore starts being more accurate.
I have one of those Philadelphia Derringers, and why the factory bothered to rifle the bore is a mystery to me.
Old January 22, 2017, 12:26 PM   #6
rodwhaincamo

From what I've read across many forums over the years is that an Uberti revolver needs less work with a Remington model and Pietta makes a good Colt model.

I have a Pietta Remington New Model Army and it needed several things worked on and wasn't designed properly to load bullets (I opened up mine).

If a good deal can be had a Ruger Old Army is an excellent revolver, but not a true historical reproduction.

As for inexpensive yet quality muzzleloaders anything Lyman sells seems to be a good deal. I have a .50 cal percussion Deerstalker and like it, especially for $400.

As you mentioned hunting I'd opt for a .54 cal (knowing what I do now) for patched round ball, which is easily good to 125yds + as long as it's not breezy. For conicals/bullets a .50 cal is plenty of lead.

I make Gatofeo's #1 lube, punch my own felt wads, cast balls, bullets for my pistols, and Lee REALs for my rifle.

Ballistol is an excellent oil, though I've read some feel it's not the best thing for long term storage. It will emulsify with water, which is a great thing as it will allow the water to evaporate and leave behind the oil. It also is good on wood and leather. And it can also be swabbed down the bore/chambers and wiped along the frame/barrel to saturate the fouling if you won't have time to clean it when you get home. I tested this out with both of my pistols leaving them in my hot and humid Texas garage for two days without a spot of rust.

I buy powder from Grafs. BassPro didn't have 3F Triple 7 for months on end and I found buying 3 lbs about offset the HazMat with no wasted time. But they also sell Olde Eynsford, which is real black powder that is as energetic as T7 but much cheaper so I buy more of that usually.

DD4 here has a lot of accessories and stuff at a very reasonable price as well. He's worth taking a look at before you decide to buy stuff at your local shop.
Old January 22, 2017, 05:14 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Don't own a B/P pistol. Just B/P side lock rifles. Lots of different B/P rifle manufactures to choose from >and pricing ranges too.
Just saying: Many who own 1850s & 60 period pistols feel a need to have them tuned for better performance.
Never have found action tuning necessary for my rifles. As they all came with Set Triggers.

Quote:
Any suggestions or tips to someone just getting in to the black powder game?
Visa Card.
Old January 23, 2017, 09:58 PM   #8
B.L.E.

Don't overlook one of the most useful and funnest black powder guns ever made, the fowling piece, aka, shotgun.

Here I'm destroying a clay bird with a friends single shot 8 gauge at the trap range.

Old January 23, 2017, 10:54 PM   #9
drobs

I've been enjoying these Pietta 1860 44 Colt Army's immensely. Lots of fun:

Accurate enough for me:
Old January 23, 2017, 11:30 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Enfield short rifle (33" barrel) for game. Reach out to 500 yards (but you'd better adjust your sights and know distance estimation).
Old January 24, 2017, 12:39 PM   #11
JACKlangrishe

love that pic with the 60's against the wood / grass backdrop
Old January 24, 2017, 03:06 PM   #12
Lee44ShooterCnB

The 60's look great laid on anything
Hunting ....Pedersoli's Blue Ridge 50 cal....purchased on sale at Cabela's
She's a beauty and a shooter

vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Last edited by Lee44ShooterCnB; January 24, 2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old January 24, 2017, 10:17 PM   #13
drobs

Thanks Jack, how's your 60 coming along? Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?