The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 23, 2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Felenari

Long term storage recommendations.

I'm moving to Colorado soon and I've got some blued guns I'd like to keep as nice as possible but all I've got are my Pelican cases for now. I have desiccant packs up the wazoo in there but I heard a thicker water displacing lubricant or grease wil also help leaps and bounds. The lever on my lever action has had some fine speckles of rust on it here and there so I've been wiping it down with a remcloth after I clean the firearm before storage. Any recommendations? I do live in CA so all the strong stuff is probably illegal here.

If no one comes from the future to stop you, how bad could it be?
Old October 23, 2018, 11:16 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Define 'long term'. The time it takes to move, even from one state to another, isn't that long.
Desiccant packs literally wear out by getting saturated and require periodic replacement. They don't do much in a regular non-air tight case anyway.
Grease, any grease(even Vaseline, that is the same thing as Cosmoline.), is what you need for long term storage. And put 'em in big plastic bags, not your cases.
Remove the rust on the lever action with 0000 steel wool and light oil(regular gun oil will do nicely) then grease 'em.
Wax on wood stocks. Neutral shoe polish is wax.
Old October 23, 2018, 12:10 PM   #3
mete

I've always used RIG , wrapped with rust inhibiting paper and into a plastic bag.
Watch out for condensation , though CO is a fairly dry state.
Only a thin coat of RIG is necessary and this was the gun is ready to go without a big cleaning job.
Old October 23, 2018, 01:18 PM   #4
RC20

Hard telling from the write up what you are doing (storing in CA?)

The desiccant packs would work fine with a Pelican case as its air tight.
Old October 23, 2018, 04:05 PM   #5
TheGunGeek

The gold standard for long term storage is VPCI / VCI bags. They are available from major retailers such as Brownells.
Old October 23, 2018, 04:41 PM   #6
FITASC

The Western Slope is a lot drier than the Eastern Slope of the Rockies. When I lived in Rifle, CO, there was not an issue with humidity; back that was way back when everyone had glass fronted wooden gun display cases............

Silicone socks should help; whatever you do, DON'T bring SF to CO; they're already losing control to transplants there; enjoy your new home state and go shoot often!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 23, 2018, 05:02 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
Desiccant packs literally wear out by getting saturated and require periodic replacement. They don't do much in a regular non-air tight case anyway.
But these are Pelican cases, which are airtight, and desiccants can actually do too much in them or in any other sealed case. If the desiccant has adequate capacity, it will dry out everything inside the sealed volume and will not wear out because no additional water comes in to replace what it picked up.

The problem in this situation is they can lower the moisture content of wood stocks to the point they start cracking. I don't know of any problem with synthetic stocked guns, but wood and wood finishes can be damaged, so I would watch out on that score. You only need to get relative humidity below about 68% to prevent most rust. A heater, like the Golden Rod heaters for gun safes, will do a good job of this but are too big for a Pelican case. What you can do, instead, is if you have a cool area like a basement, but one that's not too humid, you can let the guns and cases settle at that temperature, seal them and then store them in a warmer area than that.

Note that desiccants can get some organic vapors as well, so if you apply a protective coating that can be worn out by gradual evaporation, be aware the desiccant can accelerate that wear. Putting VPN in with a desiccant, for example, can use them up faster.

What heating does is increase the ability of the air to dissolve and hold water vapor. This doesn't reduce water content in the container, but it does increase how much of that water is held by the air, thereby reducing the amount in everything else in the box. In layman's terms, it's called drying by applying heat. But also, by holding on to the water harder, the warmer air makes it unavailable to promote rust.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 23, 2018, 11:30 PM   #8
Felenari

Wow, didn't think I'd get this many replies this fast. Thanks all.

Long term is kind of up in the air for now. Anywhere between 6 months to two years ish. I'm storing a bkued rem 700 with a synthetic stock and crummy paint job, two pump shotguns with synthetic stock and the one I'm most worried about is my wood stock blued lever action. It's not a particularly amazing gun or anything but it's special to me and I try to keep it in as nice condition as possible. I didn't know wooden stocks could crack like that from it being too dry. Totally makes sense, it just never crossed my mind that a firearm could be too dry.

When I move to Colorado I'm going from the bay area California to Ukiah California first to finish the last few things on my trailer before we move. That could be a few weeks to a few months. After that I want to tour the country with my wife a bit before school if nothing terrible befalls us right before we leave this time. Knock on wood.

My wife and I have handguns for home defence so I'm not too worried about covering the guns in grease or anything but if oiling them really well and wrapping them in some oil paper works for a year then I'm game with that.

The rust on the lever was a very fine browning on the outside curve of the lever. When I wiped it with the rem oil cloth it left a rusty residue on the wipe but the finish looked brand new. Is the 0000 scrub necessary? It's a low serial henry so I don't want to damage it if I can help it.

Old October 24, 2018, 09:56 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

RIG gun grease. Put a coat on and buff it in.

As for rust, don't use steel wool. Steel wool may be soft, but it's still steel on steel and the end result is you'll remove some of the bluing too. Instead use coconut oil and a nickel (yes, a 5 cent piece; nickel is softer than steel) to remove the rust. Then treat with RIG.

I don't trust foam. They tend to deteriorate over time.
Old October 26, 2018, 07:42 PM   #10
natman

I've stored guns with the following combination for more than 5 years with excellent results.

Wipe the guns down, inside and out with Breakfree Collector.

Then store in Poly Gun Bags. They will protect the guns in storage and keep the areas you couldn't oil from rusting.

They come in packs, but you can buy them in bulk if you ask.
Old October 26, 2018, 08:12 PM   #11
LeverGunFan

Another vote for a thin coat of RIG grease. Then put the firearm in a VCI bag, Zerust is another supplier that has a variety of sizes, plus VCI tube that can be placed inside the barrel:
http://www.zerustproducts.com/produc...-ammo-weapons/
I'd be tempted to evacuate air out of the VCI bag with a vacuum cleaner, then seal the bag with a zip-tie.
Old October 26, 2018, 08:41 PM   #12
Felenari

I'll check out both thanks. I'm trying to sweet talk my lady into installing a secret hatch in the trailer with a lock box in it so we can take them with on the trip.