The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2017, 10:41 PM   #1
Prof Young

Youth Shotgun

Shooters:
Oldest grand kid is about ready to try a shotgun. So I'm shopping youth shotguns. I want 20 gauge so he can hunt turkey and deer and I want pump so he will have multiple shots, but it's a touch safer than semi-auto. Top of the list at this point is the Mossberg 500 Youth Super Bantam All Purpose. I like the Mossberg saftey on top and it has inserts to make the stock longer and shorter. The MSRP is $419 so I'm thinking I can find one for in the upper 300s.

If you have first hand experience with this gun I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks.
Prof Young
Old December 9, 2017, 11:43 AM   #2
Pahoo

Mossberg

On Youth shotguns, I usually recommend the Rem. 870. That is the last one I bought and it has served us well. Keep in mind that along with so many items, these are outgrown sooner than you expected. Know that I have been a Remington man for many years and the only Mossbergs, I currently own, are the older ones. ......

In this case, I would recommend the Mossberg and the only experience I have with this model is the recommendations of Smiths and dealers. I feel that you thinking is spot-on. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 9, 2017, 06:22 PM   #3
Prof Young

Thanks Pahoo

Thanks Pahoo
So far the Mossberg is the only one I can find with the "adjustable" stock.
Life is good.
Prof Young
Old December 9, 2017, 07:18 PM   #4
FITASC

Nice idea, but I read a lot "I want" as opposed to what HE wants. A 20 gauge Rem 1100 semi will have lower recoil and YOU or another adult can dole out the ammo until he gets more proficient.
Personally, I would find some way for him to shoot several types and then see what HE likes.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 10, 2017, 01:09 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

The difference between an M500 and an M870 is mostly the price and the name. Both have double action bars. Only thing that may or may not matter is the amount of aftermarket stuff available. Way more for an 870 than a 500. No real shortage of stuff for the 500 though.
And like FITASC says, it's what the kid wants that matters. How much experience with shotguns does the kid have? How big is the kid? A Bantam's 13" LOP(that isn't that very adjustable. It's only 1".) may be too short.
"...adult can dole out the ammo..." Applies to a pump too.
Old December 10, 2017, 02:52 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

The Mossberg has an aluminum receiver. It will be lighter and easier to handle than an 870.
Kids can't outgrow a gun. All you have to do is replace the stock with a longer one.
Old December 10, 2017, 04:39 PM   #7
smee78

My first shotgun was the Remington 870 youth. This is also what I used for my children and it worked out fine.
Old December 10, 2017, 04:45 PM   #8
ammo.crafter

1st shotgun

Go 12ga and use reduced loads. A 20ga does have a similar kick as a 12ga with similar loads.
Consider a semi auto.

You can have the stock cut but KEEP that piece which can be reinstalled at a later date as the child grows.
Old December 10, 2017, 10:45 PM   #9
Prof Young

Some good thoughts here . . . but . . .

Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts.

I hadn't thought about weight but it won't be hard to compare that via info found on line.

Yeah, if I got him a semi I could feed him one shell at a time. Hmmm . . .

In terms of what Jackson wants, I'm sure he doesn't have a clue. This will all be new to him.

It would be great to be able to try out a bunch of youth guns and then take his pick but I can't think of anywhere that would be possible. I'm within driving distance of two ranges that rent guns and know that neither has one youth shotgun hanging on the rental wall, much less several.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old December 11, 2017, 08:10 AM   #10
wild cat mccane

Search for Maverick 88 Bantam.

$187 online. Maverick is Mossberg. This model looks like it has the Mossberg 500 furniture, ie the forearm handle is not the comb handle of all the Mavericks but a smoother 500.

I own the Mossberg 500 12 Bantam in 12. The decreased size (length of pull-LOP) is infinitely better. I don't know why these aren't more popular. As suggested, light loads could work.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; December 11, 2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old December 11, 2017, 09:34 AM   #11
FITASC

Prof - go to those two clubs and see if they know of someone who puts on clinics for youth/ladies/new shooters and get your son signed up for that. They tend to go over all of the basics as well as have several guns for folks to try.

Getting the wrong gun that doesn't fit and beats him up in short order is a great way to ensure he doesn't become a regular shooter.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 11, 2017, 11:14 AM   #12
Pahoo

You can always start out with a Hunter Safety Class.

Quote:
Prof - go to those two clubs and see if they know of someone who puts on clinics for youth/ladies/new shooters and get your son signed up for that. They tend to go over all of the basics as well as have several guns for folks to try.
Great idea and some are called Hunter Safety Classes. They are free and every state has this program. "All" were established by the NRA, many years ago. We have pumps and semi-autos although not a variety of different manufacturers. Some states also offer advance classes. Then there are times when we refer them to LGS's with indoor ranges and they give the students, a discount. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old December 12, 2017, 08:20 PM   #13
Blindstitch

I bought a mossberg 500 Super bantam for my wife and she loves it. She's small and 4 foot 11. The added spacer to move from 12 inch length of pull to 14 is pretty nice. I bought mine used from a kid who had been hunting turkey and geese with it. He had a lot of success but was finally ready for 12 gauge and full length.

I picked it up for $210 with the field and slug barrel in great condition but he lost the short recoil pad. Mossberg sent me the two recoil pads, spacer and screws for free. Great deal.