The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 23, 2015, 09:22 PM   #1
breakthrough

a cleaner and what else?

what gun cleaning solvent and cleaner do you recommend? Do I need a lubricant too? what do you recommend.
Old November 25, 2015, 03:52 PM   #2
rpseraph

Generally all you'll need to care for most issues with most gun is a cleaner and a lube...

As for as for what exactly you may want, people will want to know what kind of gun(s) we are dealing with, how much you'll use it, how it is stored, condition (age) of the gun(s) etc.
Old November 25, 2015, 04:04 PM   #3
Sevens

It is shocking that it's been a day and a half since you asked about gun cleaning and 12,446 people haven't responded with their technique. Typically, asking a gun forum about gun cleaning and solvents and lubricants is like asking a room full of guys what they like in a pickup truck or asking women what they think about shoes.

You seem new to firearms so I will offer MY best advice and keep it short.

Get a bottle of Hoppes#9 and also get a bottle of lube. I use FP-10, I think WeaponShield is just as good or better. Three products that will never, ever, EVER touch my guns are WD-40, RemOil and FrogLube.

Use the Hoppe's#9 to clean, and it leaves a nice layer behind that is not the ultimate "protectant" but it is meant to be safely left behind and is good to be left behind. Use the lubricant for slide rails, frame rails and pivot points. Use it sparingly on internals and pivot points, use it judiciously on slide/frame rails.

My best advice on gun cleaning?!
Less is more. I bet most of us grew up cleaning the favorite gun every single time we brought it home, but the fact is that far more guns are dinged, worn and accidentally crunched or broken due to excessive and/or over-zealous cleaning. A little Hoppes#9 on a cotton rag to wipe down powder residue and filth is pretty much my routine now and I don't scrub bores or chambers until they have many hundreds of rounds through them.