The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 24, 2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Fox1

2-Trigger Mauser 98

Has anyone here ever heard of a Mauser 98 receiver with 2 triggers; a "Set" trigger and a "Hair" trigger?

I received an original 98 Mauser, a .270 built on a Mauser receiver, a regular Mauser receiver (only) and a 2-trigger receiver from my Grandfather last year. Due to his health and advanced age, the only thing he can tell me about them is that he "picked them up in Germany off of German soldiers who weren't using their equipment anymore."

I'm currently talking to a gunsmith about building the 2-trigger receiver into a .308 and, when I described the receiver, he asked if I was sure it was a Mauser. I told him that I was pretty sure it was because it has that lever on the left side that you have to pull back in order to remove the bolt but it doesn't have the trigger guard like the other 3 receivers have.

I'm pretty excited about this build because, even after 60 years wrapped up in some oily plastic sheeting, the hair trigger is still super-sensitive.

If anyone has any information on this receiver I would sure like to learn more.
I haven't been able to locate anything at all and I sort of wonder if it is a trigger modification of some sort, rather than an original setup.

Thanks in advance!
Old February 24, 2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Scorch

Double set triggers are common on European civilian hunting rifles, due to the prevalence of stand hunting for driven game rather than stalking game as we do in the US.

Of the two triggers, one trigger is properly called the set or often set trigger, the other is called the trigger. Really! You can find examples of them in many post-WWI and post-WWII civilian hunting rifles from Europe built on either commercial receivers (no thumb notch or charger guide) or surplus military receivers (thumb notch and charger guides. They were not military issue, the double-lever set mechanisms are typically somewhat delicate and difficult to keep adjusted, and the standard trigger pulls somewhat heavy. The missing trigger guard is typical of these conversions; the trigger guard would be cut off and replaced with a bow-style trigger guard that screws into the bottom metal directly in front of the trigger, then inletted into the wood and secured against the stock at the pistol grip.

Many actions converted in this manner have dovetailed or soldered claw mounts attached to the receiver bridges. If yours sports claw mount bases, I hope they are soldered in place.

Many times the receivers were elaborately engraved above the wood line and on the bottom metal, and the receivers were often tinned or nickel plated to give them an "in the white" appearance while still protecting them from rust. I recently rebarreled one such rifle, and the owner was carrying on about the receiver being made from German silver (a high-nickel brass alloy), but they are in fact nickel plated or tinned with either pure tin or lead solder to give them their silver appearance. You can tell the difference between the two at a glance, tinned receivers having a "grayer" appearance.

I hope you build yourself a nice Continental sporter rifle with your action. They do make very attractive hunting rifles.
Old February 24, 2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Fox1

The weird thing about this is that it's just the receiver.
There isn't a stock or a barrel, just the receiver and the bolt and there is no "fancy" to it at all.
I could see it being a part off of a rifle if it was all "fancied up" but this one is pretty plain. I suppose there is the thought that someone (maybe even my Grandfather) had just started work on it and then quit.

I've never heard the term "Continental sporter rifle" before.
What is that or what does it mean?

I'll try to get a picture of it posted later.
Old February 24, 2009, 06:36 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

Many times the trigger guard was made of horn, your's has been broken off for a long time. Chances are during the handling of the rifle when the barrel was removed.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Fox1

Sorry it took me so long to post these pictures.

Here are some pictures of my normal Mauser 98 receiver and my 2-trigger Mauser 98 receiver.

I had forgotten that the 2-trigger receiver has a removable bottom plate on the magazine and, after examining these both side-by-side again, it appears the magazines are different as well.

Again, if anyone has any information on this receiver (bottom one) please let me know.

Old March 3, 2009, 11:34 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The trigger guard was probably attached to the stock at the back, which is why there is no obvious attachment place on the receiver. If/when you decide to use it to build a rifle, I am sure a competent gunsmith can fashion a good looking trigger guard, perhaps from a shotgun guard.

Unfortunately, time may have caught up with your grandfather. Obviously, the barrels were removed from all those recievers and one re-barrelled in .270. The set trigger receiver was probably from one of the many thousands of civilian sporting rifles seized by Allied troops; many were destroyed, by burning or running over them with tanks, but GIs often were allowed to pick out guns before the destruction. Parts were also salvaged by GIs.

Jim
Old March 4, 2009, 10:31 AM   #7
PetahW

The upper receiver is a military Mauser 98, with the thumb notch in the left receiver wall.

The lower receiver is a commercial Mauser 98 receiver (1898-1946) that was made w/o the thumb notch [EDIT: NOT ! Sorry, and thanks, Jim ! I musta been half asleep, this morning, 'cause I can sure see the notch on both now ! ] , with Mauser factory double-set triggers installed and a hinged floorplate w/release lever.

Mauser used the commercial receivers on their factory Soprting Rifles/Carbines, in a variety of "Modells" (A/B/C/M/etc) - although most do not have a military-type bolt knob like yours.[EDIT: DOH !]
The missing TG was most likely horn, as posted above, since they were very fragile and not likely to survive.

Replacement horn guards are available ( http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/i...s.htm~maindeal ), or a double-shotgun style TG can be used instead, as posted above (also available from NECG).
The horn was preferred, because it wouldn't get cold (like metal) during Winter hunts.

Last edited by PetahW; March 4, 2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:35 AM   #8
fisherman66

Very neat thread.

If you do a custom, please share the process with photos. That's gonna make one humdinger.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:36 AM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Both receivers have the thumb notch. While sporters were made with the thumb notch and the military style bolt knob, I suspect that one was originally a military rifle that was sporterized, possibly in Germany, and the set trigger system added.

Even original sporters made on Mauser civilian actions were not all made by Mauser. Those actions were sold by Mauser to other companies in Gemany and all over the world. British gun makers, including Holland & Holland, Rigby, and Purdey, used Mauser factory actions. Hundreds of makers used Mauser actions made by other manufacturers, like FN, Zastava, and CZ. And literally millions of sporters, with quality ranging from superb to junk, were made from Mauser military rifles and actions.

Jim
Old March 4, 2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Fox1

These two receivers were definitely assembled from parts of many rifles.

When taking these pictures, I noticed that the serial number parts on the bolt don't match the whole serial number on the receiver and those don't match the serial numbers on the magazine.

My Mauser 98 rifle and my .270 built on a Mauser 98 receiver each sport the same serial numbers, or parts of the same serial number on each receiver.
In other words, one receiver, bolt, floor plate, screw heads will all have serial numbers or parts of serial numbers that match each other.

Quote:
fisherman66
Very neat thread.
If you do a custom, please share the process with photos. That's gonna make one humdinger.
Fisherman, I'm taking them to a gunsmith tomorrow to start discussing barrel, stock, trigger guard and figuring out what tweaks I can afford right now and what I can live without.

My plan is a .308 WIN built on the set trigger receiver, composite stock, Harris Bipod and topped with a Leupold Mark 2 sometime this year.

More questions:

1. These parts are all engraved with the Eagle and Swastika.
Was that something that was done on National level or was it done on military arms only?

2. What is the thumb notch?
Is that the little notch cut below the center line of the bolt on the left side?
What is it for?

Thanks again!
Old March 4, 2009, 12:11 PM   #11
fisherman66

Quote:
My plan is a .308 WIN built on the set trigger receiver, composite stock, Harris Bipod and topped with a Leupold Mark 2 sometime this year.
I'm a fan of the .308; but not for a classic Mauser. Fill up that mag well with 7x57, 8x57, 35 Whelen or even the 30-06. Bi-pod???? Composite??? what are you thinking? This might be a legacy action. Don't ruin it by going "modern".

Nice wood and a VX-III 1.5-6x20, VX-II 2-7x33 or even a peep is the ticket!

LISTEN TO THE VOICE OF REASON...
Old March 4, 2009, 12:22 PM   #12
Fox1

Fisherman,

Well, I already have an 8mm Mauser in it's original setup.
Actually it looks like it was plucked right off the battlefield and was owned by a private.

I have a nicely done .270 WIN with the wood stock, Lyman sights and Flagis (sp?) barrel.

The other receiver (single trigger) will probably be built in the classic style with open sights or a VXIII, VXII scope.

I wanted this one set up as a bench rest shooter because of the set trigger.
Also, because of all the runs on ammo these days, I'm trying to stick to the calibers I already own so that my rifles can all "share" bullets.
Old March 4, 2009, 12:28 PM   #13
fisherman66

Benchrest triggers are a dime a dozen. A Teutonic set trigger on the other hand...

Oh well, I tried. Best of luck with your build. I hope it provides you with every bit of a benchrester as you are hoping for.
Old March 4, 2009, 02:11 PM   #14
PetahW

2. What is the thumb notch? Is that the little notch cut below the center line of the bolt on the left side? - Yes

What is it for? - Clearance for the shooter's thumb, when pushing down a clip-full of ammo, out of it's stripper clip, into the magazine - a wartime speedloading. The clip lower end fits in the eared slot in the leading edge of the rear receiver ring.

BTW - I can see the doors clearly now (to my nursing home) (Thanks, JK)

Old March 5, 2009, 06:42 PM   #15
Fox1

Fisherman,

Well I dropped the receiver off today.

Still going with .308 WIN.

Decided on a wood stock.

Changed my mind from the Leupold Mark 2 scope to a Nikon Buckmaster.

I'll post pics when it's all done.
Old March 5, 2009, 10:30 PM   #16
fisherman66

I look forward to seeing it when it's complete.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:45 AM   #17
Fox1

Complete surprise today.
The Gunsmith sent three pictures of his progress to my cell phone.

He had pulled the trigger guard off of an old double-barrel shotgun and we discussed ideas for reforming it to fit on my rifle.
Today when I received these pictures, I called and talked to him and he said the trigger guard we discussed doesn't give enough room for the set trigger so he grabbed a piece of bar stock and started forming and shaping one from scratch.
Here is where he is at so far:

Old March 11, 2009, 12:53 PM   #18
Fox1

Update

Got more pictures from the gunsmith today!

A couple of shots of the bolt handle after it was forged and the new safety.

Looks like my barrel came in too.
Old March 11, 2009, 12:57 PM   #19
fisherman66

It's coming along. Keep the updates roll in.
Old March 13, 2009, 12:36 PM   #20
Fox1

More pics from the gunsmith!

Receiver, barrel, triggers and trigger guard mounted in the stock.

Larger shot of everything put together.

I think all that is left is finishing the stock, reaming the chamber, bluing the barrel and action and then sticking the scope on and zeroing it.
Old March 13, 2009, 12:55 PM   #21
fisherman66

What's the taper on the barrel? It looks to have no taper, but the shadows may be playing games with the view's eyes. That walnut looks to have some very nice figure in it. I look forward to seeing some more detailed pictures.
Old March 13, 2009, 01:00 PM   #22
Fox1

The barrel is a #5 profile, if that means anything to you.
That is .0700" at the muzzle.

I originally wanted the #6 profile which is .750" at the muzzle but Shilen didn't offer the 1:10 twist in .308 WIN in the #6 profile.
At least it wasn't available in the catalog we used.

The #5 was just a shade under and I was ok with that.

The stock is going to be done in a satin finish and all the bluing will be a matte style.

I'm getting antsy here!
Old March 19, 2009, 03:40 PM   #23
Fox1

More pictures today!
My gunsmith sent these pictures and then called to let me know it's done and ready to pick up.
The complete build only took him 14 days!

It's finished!!!

All it needs is the scope rings and scope attached.

I'll post some higher resolution pictures this weekend or next week.
Old March 22, 2009, 01:36 PM   #24
Fox1

Finally Finished!!!

Here she is!!!

Nikon Buckmaster scope, 4.5 - 14 x 40 mm with Mil Dot reticle.

Close up of the 15 degree barrel crown.

Last edited by Fox1; March 22, 2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Edit: Add Image
Old March 22, 2009, 01:38 PM   #25
Fox1

More Pictures

2-position safety that curves around the scope.

Forged bolt handle that curves around the scope.

Close up of the set triggers with tension adjustment screw.

Drop floor plate.

Floated barrel.