The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 15, 1998, 11:58 AM   #1
Time

Anyone know of a resource for pistol cases? These are the kind that you might carry several guns to a Bullseye match. Usually made of wood and hinge up to expose guns and a mounted spotting scope. Any help would be appreciated
Old October 15, 1998, 08:01 PM   #2

Welcome Time!

Gung-ho makes the traditional hard-side *box* case for 2-5 guns. The 2 gun box has just enough space for 2 guns and a spotting scope mounted inside. The larger cases have removable trays that have *pinch* bars to hold the guns in place. Also more room for ammo and other accouterments of the sport. These run between $85-$125 in my neck of the woods.

Waller, Eagle, Dillon and Gunsite (just to name a few) market soft-sided range bags in various sizes and options. The better ones are made of ballistic nylon and padded with closed-cell foam. Most of these start at the $100 mark and go up with size.

Several discount firms, such as Service Merchandise, periodically offer similar bags on sale. The ubiquitous gym bag, generally lacks the strength of reinforced stitching and circumferential webbing; and lacks the various sized pockets to keep stuff from being a jumbled mess at the range. But, in a pinch they work at least as well as a big cardboard box.

Old October 21, 1998, 01:17 AM   #3
4V50
Retired Screen Name

After my range bag of 10 years wore out (falling apart at the seams) I bought a heavy canvas and leather tool bag from Costco. Cost was about $30. Sew on a CAT or John Deere patch and you'll look like another stiff going off to work.

If that won't work, buy the NRA book on cases for $2.50. They have plans in there so you can make your own for about $25. With the money you save, you can buy more ammo.