The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 25, 2001, 09:29 PM   #1
Rob62

Another Traditions BP rifle question

While out with the family today we stopped by the Wal Marts in Lebanon, Missouri. They had a Traditions In Line Muzzle loading rifle on clearance at $150. This was the Camo stocked, matte nickle plated action & barrel version, with a fluted barrel and the hi viz fiber iron sights.

This deal was in my opinion too good to pass up, so the wife let me get it I haven't owned a muzzle loader in some years and that was a Thompson Center 54 cal Hawken type.

My questions are how good of a deal was this ?

(BTW they have another one for $120, but this one has a black syn. stock and nickle plated action/bbl with no flutes)

And my intent is to use only Pyrodex, probably the pellets. Thoughts on this? I will probably use only the sabbot's and pistol type bullets in the sabots...thoughts?

I know that this set up will upset some black powder purists. But I don't plan on putting a scope or optics on it so that should count for something, huh.

Thanks,

Rob
Old August 25, 2001, 10:00 PM   #2
biganimal

that is about the going rate. I usually sell em for a tad bit less but I have a lower overhead. They shoot real well and are VERY accurate, as we found out a little bit ago, see my thread......
Old August 26, 2001, 08:00 PM   #3
Rob62

Thanks for the response biganimal. I guess I didn't do as good as I thougth I did. WalMarts had an original price of $299.95 on the gun, so I thought I was getting one heck of a deal as most of their other guns are normally stickered for little over wholesale price that most dealers can get the same guns for.

Didn't realize that the Traditions were marked up that much.

I read your thread before I posted this one but didn't catch the tie in, now I do.

Retrospectively I may return this gun. I didn't really need it, just thought it was too good of a deal to pass on. And thought for a long time about getting another BP rifle. Maybe I'll get one of those $69 BP rifles just to play around with since I doubt I'll ever do any serious BP hunting.

Rob
Old August 27, 2001, 08:54 AM   #4
cjc

I've got one to those $69 dollar guns, and don't fool yourself they can be very effective. I've got the venision in the freezer to prove it.
Old August 27, 2001, 11:06 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

cjc states the bottom line. A rifle doesn't have to look like Boone's Ticklicker, Capt. Parker's musket or Crockett's Betsy - it just has to shoot straight for you.

Never mind the snobbery. While some disdain the newer inline rifles (myself included), it's whether it brings home the game and I'd carry it if it shot well for me.