The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 1, 2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Ervin

Spray painting an AR/Coyote Tan

First of all, I need some advice on painting my own rifles.
I get the whole painting techniques and spraying in even coats so it doesnt drip. But even after successfuly painting and once its all dried, some coats feel sticky (I used the tactical non reflective spray here)
Is there another type of spray I can get that will be smooth?

With AR's its gonna be very tricky, I'm gonna leave parts like the whole sight group, safety level, trigger, mag release button.....black and unpainted.
The parts I cant take off the carry handle, like he sight group, I'll cover with tape and I was even thinking of covering it with children's clay, that should work even better.
I also plan on painting the picatinny rails which I can already see as a bad idea, the rails themselves are finely machined and I feel the paint is just gonna get in the smallest cracks, and just ruin the look and quality.

All the coyote tan sprays I've used have been too dark. I'm looking for something that almost looks yellow/khaki or light green.
like on this SCAR.

(these arent my pics)
this is what my results looked like

and...this is what I want

cant seem to find that shade of tan anywhere
last question...would a paint thinner completly take the paint off?
Old November 1, 2009, 09:42 PM   #2
NESHOOTER

I would look into dur-coat its a flat finish paint that very durable and you can either bake to cure it or leave it a week before each color is done... www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com I tried the camo-paint from others and like you expierenced some shiny effects but this paint is very high quality and put it on in light coats only and this helps the cure process.
Old November 2, 2009, 06:59 AM   #3
Ervin

Now this duracoat stuff isnt gonna look thick?
I dont want it to fill in some of the lettering for example

thx
Old November 2, 2009, 07:04 AM   #4
rattletrap1970

I'd have a good powder coat house do it. Some of the solvents and chemicals used to clean and maintain the rifle could attack the paint. Also, powder coating is much more durable. The stuff has come a long way and does show engraving pretty well, there are even textured kinds now. A good house can mask everything properly too.