The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: How many guns do you carry?
1 gun 101 31.56%
1 gun and a reload(s) 121 37.81%
2 guns 41 12.81%
2 guns and reloads for each 41 12.81%
I'm a walking arsenal... 16 5.00%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 2, 2008, 09:22 AM   #1
Sparks2112

How many of you CCW two guns at once?

So, how many guns do you carry and how? Also which guns.

Lately I've been carrying my Glock 21SF at 3 o clock in a cheap suede IWB holster while my Minotaur is being made. A 2 inch taurus 9mm snubby has been riding x-draw at about 10:30 in an old leather IWB holster that's been around god knows how long.

How about you guys?
J.M. Johnston
Old September 2, 2008, 09:27 AM   #2
Keltyke

One gun, a Steyr M40A1 - 10+1 .40 S&W semi. If I carried more, it'd be a spare mag or a pocket gun like the Keltec P32. I'm in a small-mid sized Southern city and there's just not that much threat here.
Old September 2, 2008, 09:51 AM   #3
nate45

Lately (last 6 moths or so) I've been carrying my Kahr PM9 IWB in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 and my NAA .22 Mag in a inside the pocket holster. It has a pouch for extra ammo and I carry an extra magazine for the Kahr in my hip pocket.

Back in the old days I carried a full size 1911 IWB, a j-frame .38 Sp in an ankle holster and a .25 Auto in my front pocket.

Last edited by nate45; September 3, 2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old September 2, 2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Hokie

I guess two, although the NAA Mini-Revolver scarcely counts. In terms of "real" guns, usually only one, preferably OWB. If I've already got a P-3AT in an ankle holster (because sometimes that's the most that can be reasonably concealed), I'll usually leave it on after I change and add on a 1911 or BHP.
Old September 2, 2008, 10:52 AM   #5
kraigwy

I'm gonna quote Brian Zins:

Pick a gun. learn it. Stick with it.

In case people don't know who Brian Zins is, he's a retired USMC Gunny Sgt who this year, at Camp Perry one this NINTH (as in 9th) National Pistol Championship.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 2, 2008, 10:56 AM   #6
BikerRN

As I type this I have a 3" GP100 IWB behind the strongside hip. Behind the weakside hip is a 2 1/4" SP101 in a Kramer MSP Paddle. In my weakside front pocket is a 442. The strongside pocket holds 2 reloads in "slow-strips".

My minimum is two guns, and I prefer three. The reason is so that I can have a gun accessable to either hand because I do not know what hand I will have available to draw with. I also do not know what position I will find myself in when I need a gun. Thus I carry more than one gun for accessability.

On Duty I carry the "issued" Autoloader but on my time I have no problem carrying a Revolver, and in fact prefer them for most things. I may "switch it up" next year and carry a Glock 19/26 combo, but I doubt I'll give up my J-Frame.

Biker
Old September 2, 2008, 12:46 PM   #7
David Armstrong

I carried two when I was a working gun-toter, but nowadays one is quite sufficient.
Old September 2, 2008, 03:48 PM   #8
dabigguns357

One stays on me at all time and one stays in my car unless my wife is with me then she carries the other one.
Old September 2, 2008, 04:11 PM   #9
rantingredneck

Occasionally 2 guns. Most often one gun and a reload.

If it's 2, it's either a Ruger P345 or Ruger SP101 IWB at 4:00 and an LCP in the weakside front pocket.
Old September 2, 2008, 04:17 PM   #10
ringworm

Quote:
I'm in a small-mid sized Southern city and there's just not that much threat here.
you just arent trying hard enough...
Old September 2, 2008, 05:33 PM   #11
orionengnr

Just one, the Kahr PM9 most of the year.

Occasionally a Kahr P45 or 3" 1911.

Usually one reload, but not always...(yeah, I know )
Old September 2, 2008, 06:11 PM   #12
The Great Mahoo

Just one, rarely any reloads. If I can wear a jacket, possibility of reloads goes up, but I don't see a need for a second weapon for everyday carry.
Old September 2, 2008, 06:57 PM   #13
JasonG

PT145 in a smartcarry. If I ever feel 10+1 of .45ACP JHP isn't enough, I'll find another place to live and work.
I guess though that's equivalent to 2 revolvers though
Add a backup mag and it counts for 4 wheels !
Old September 3, 2008, 06:55 AM   #14
Derius_T

Just one, my trusty .45 semi-auto that I am most proficient with. I do carry at least 1 extra magazine. I really don't see the need for 2-3 guns, mace, asp, maglite, ect. No need to be a walking arsenal. If I can't solve the SELF DEFENSE issue with 16 rounds of .45, I guess I'm in trouble.

Remember, its for self defense, not to hold off a small army.
Old September 3, 2008, 08:20 AM   #15
Jon-m

I don't really understand the reasoning for carrying more than one gun (especially 3?!?). Honestly, unless you are in the military or are a leo of some kind, I can't imagine a situation that would warrant 2 or 3 carry guns. Can someone point out a documented case were a citizen was forced to fire more than one gun LEGALLY in a self defense case?
If anything, I would think that carrying 3 guns and mace and a couple knives and a baton (just in case ) would be detrimental to your case if you ever had to actually use your weapon.
It seams to me that if you had to go up in front of a jury, many would wonder why on earth someone would need to carry around that much firepower, unless they were looking to start trouble (and that would be a reasonable question too..)
So, if your primary carry gun seems insufficient to you, why don't you just replace it with one that fits your needs better?
Old September 3, 2008, 08:26 AM   #16
ferretray

kraigwy, as a Marine formerly on active duty I respect what the Gunny has accomplished. I also find merit in his opinion on learning and knowing your firearm. That being said, a revolver is a revolver. There are many options out there in full-size, compact and subcompact versions of weapons with the same controls. I'd say its most important to select your equipment properly and train with it.
I remember a story about a guy laying out a bunch of custom fighting knives in front of a martial arts honcho and asking his opinion of em'. He said they were all very nice but it was the warrior wielding them that made the difference.
I've toted a K frame revolver for work with a J frame BUG. Its a system to me. I trained with both. When my 642 comes in I'll carry it in addition to my N frame. Slipping that little shooter into an offside pants pocket won't cause me to grow a humpback (The Mountain Gun has that privilege ) and at most will displace some spare change. For ME, its more than worth it and I'm thankful that these tools are available.
Old September 4, 2008, 12:34 AM   #17
Stevie-Ray

I always have my backup with me, the P32. Even when I have my primary.
Old September 4, 2008, 01:14 AM   #18
AZ Med18

2 Primary is Springfield XD 9mm Service and secondary is a Ruger LCP 380.

About multiple weapons, I read in a magazine that those have been used against some people in self defense cases but the defendent was able to justify it because of round count. LEO carries 16 in gun and 2 spare mags that equals 48 total. This guy carried 3 guns that IIRC only totaled 36 rounds.

Thus the Rambo mantra was left alone.
Old September 8, 2008, 04:22 PM   #19
Ohio Rusty

I only have and own 1 gun, a Keltec .380. I carry that one evrywhere, everyday.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Old September 8, 2008, 04:28 PM   #20
FLA2760

Glock27 and a Smith 642 as a BUG. Sometimes a Kel Tec P32 as a BUG if the wife takes my 642. Reloads for each. Why a BUG? Mr. Murphy has visited me more than once.
Old September 8, 2008, 04:36 PM   #21
guntotinguy

I carry 2 (usually) my XD 45 and the Bersa 380 (as the BUG) and often enough I change up and carry the Slimhawg .45 and the XD 9MM.I always carry extra mags with the specific guns I carry...
Old September 9, 2008, 11:24 AM   #22
KLRANGL

Well im still working on getting the CCW permit for VA, but I figured I had something to say on the matter (yay first post ). I do open carry my USP compact on occasion when im not commuting to/from campus, usually with a spare mag, but because of the escalation of violence laws in VA (and im sure elsewhere) I leave my weak side open for the carry of either my Blackhawk Gladius or Surefire 6P defender (80lumens in the face is a decent deterrent and gives you an great advantage in a nighttime confrontation). A Kershaw torsion assist folder is always in my repertoire in case someone tries taking my sidearm from me (a hard feat in its Serpa holster)... Feel free to critique this load out though... I love bein told im wrong, so I can make it better...
Old September 9, 2008, 11:29 AM   #23
hoytinak

I only carry one at a time whether it be my SW1911PD commander, P2000SK, LCP or LWS32 and 99% of the time I don't carry any reloads with any of these either.
Old September 9, 2008, 11:45 AM   #24
45Marlin carbine

on my person I carry one - either my Mak or a Beretta .32acp.
If I'm on my motorcycle and going into a remote area alone I have taken 2 pistols with spare mags and ammo and/or speed loader if a revolver.
I do this due to some 'unpleasantness' I encountered years ago - it ain't gonna happen again - or at least not without a heck of a lot more shooting on my part.
Old September 18, 2008, 11:08 AM   #25
bikerbill

I pocket carry a Kahr PM9 when it's hot; Kimber Ultra Carry II when it cools off ... I don't carry reloads, tho I do always carry a knife ... my car gun is a Taurus 85, and I do have a speedloader in the glovebox next to the gun if needed ...