The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 11, 2006, 12:41 PM   #1
jhgreasemonkey

trap gun for under $500?

Darn it I was watching trap shooting at the range and now I want to get into it. The shotguns I have are set up for HD with short barrels so I would need to buy a new one. Any suggestions for a guy on a budget? Thanks.
Old September 11, 2006, 12:51 PM   #2
bclark1

what do you have? you could always just buy another barrel that accepts interchangeable chokes for one of your existing guns, provided you don't have all kinds of wacky tactical stocks on them. that'd could well keep your proposition under $200.

my first shotgun was a mossberg 835, you can grab those under $300, went 23/25 on my third round of trap (ever) with it. remington 870s are a good bet too. nothing wrong with a pump for clay if the recoil doesn't get to you.
Old September 11, 2006, 03:10 PM   #3
Throckmorton

You can't buy a 'real' trap gun for thqat budget,but lots and lots of shotguns can shoot occasional trap forever,under 500 bucks.
I'd look for a used model 12 Winchester in a pump, or a used Rem. semi in a 'gas gun'....less recoil generally speaking.Just gotta trap the empties so you don't piss off the guy next to ya.
Old September 11, 2006, 03:14 PM   #4
jhgreasemonkey

I would kind of like a o/u and was wondering if anyone uses one of the cheeper ones for trap and how it does.
Old September 11, 2006, 03:42 PM   #5
springmom

Of course you do

Of course you want to get into it. That's because it's so much fun I'm surprised somebody hasn't tried to ban it

Start with the used shotguns at your local gunshop. You might even find a decent semiauto for $500. I'm thinking somebody told me they saw a nice one for about that. Short of that, if it'll take chokes, it can be used for trap. Forego the HD shotguns, though :barf: Just a plain old shotgun to start. Then if you REALLY get addicted, you can save up for a "sporting clays" specialty gun or some such.

Gotta tell you, the semiauto's are awfully nice for trap....

Springmom, who has a WHOLE new favorite thing to do

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 11, 2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Bryan Whited

Sounds like you are going to like Trap.
I am getting back into it myself.
My first Trap gun was a Remington 870.
Worked great.
Was able to break 24 out of 25 birds with it.
The O/U's are nice but autos are more comfertable to shoot.
Have a Citori in the safe but always shoot an auto any more.
Old September 11, 2006, 05:02 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I would kind of like a o/u and was wondering if anyone uses one of the cheeper ones for trap and how it does.
Funny you should ask, Jack. I just bought a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U yesterday for less than $500. at Wally World, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

I did, however, read a number of reviews on it, and for the money, they aren't bad for the casual shooter. These guns are made under contract for Mossberg in Turkey. The fit & finish isn't that of a Citori, but it is a nice looking, functional trap gun.

The main complaint with these seems to be firing pins breaking at or over 2000 rounds, but those with that problem also said Mossberg was good about fixing them, and replacing a firing pin isn't that big a deal anyhow.

I probably won't get to shoot it until this weekend sometime, but I'll post the results here when I do.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old September 11, 2006, 05:09 PM   #8
saands

As a young punk 16-year-old I had a Mossberg Bolt Action 12ga (the number 185K comes to mind) with the adjustable choke that looked like a chuck off of a drill press. That was my first "trap" gun and the old timers used to LOVE it when I'd step up to the line with the middle-aged guys and their $5k "trap guns" ... they'd all snicker at my boltgun until the scores came out ... I never shot a perfect 25/25 with it, but I had a LOT of 24/25 rounds and that was good enough.

I'd say that I had a LOT of fun BECAUSE of what I was shooting, not in spite of it

Bottom line, if you are shooting singles, you can shoot anything you want ... probably even a cylinder choked 18" bbl 870. If you're gonna shoot doubles, then it helps to have the little extra reach that a full choke can give you.

Remember, it's not the arrow, but the indian that makes the hunter.

Saands
Old September 11, 2006, 05:58 PM   #9
AmesJainchill

My dad has a 20 gauge Mossberg like that. I'll have to try that sometime.
Old September 11, 2006, 06:10 PM   #10
VUPDblue

I bought an American Arms O/U 12ga at a gun show a few years back. I love it on the trap range. I believe I paid right around $500 for it. I usually shoot in the high 20's with it and I break 25 straight just about every range night. It was just about the best gun purchase I ever made. I have to say, that when I started shooting trap (I was 13) I had a 20ga 870 Express. My dad said he would 'trade up' for me when I hit 25 straight. About a year later I was shooting a Mossberg 500 High Rib Trap Model. I shot that gun for years, I loved it so much. Then I got the American Arms and I have been shooting that ever since. I must have put 10,000 rounds through that gun...what a great sport!
Old September 11, 2006, 07:44 PM   #11
skeeter1

Even an inexpensive Harrington & Richardson Topper,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=55969842

maybe with a slip-on recoil pad is enough to get you started at trap shooting. 28" barrel with modified choke, and some loads of #8 shot of a good starting point. If you manage to beat one of those guys with the expensive double guns (could be me), you'll be laughing all the way home, and it won't cost you anywhere near $500. Save the extra cash for ammo and range fees. Once you get hooked on it, that's when you start scrimping on lunch money for an engraved doublegun.
Old September 13, 2006, 01:20 PM   #12
jhgreasemonkey

What about stoeger? I have been looking at these today and they are under $500 for an O/U. Anyone have experience with these?
Old September 13, 2006, 02:56 PM   #13
Barr

I have a Mossberg Silver Reserve and have like the way it handles and looks. I have had two drastic failures with it though at under <200 rounds through the gun. The firing pins caused a problem and had to have it sent back to the manufacturer once and the second time the safety flew off the gun under recoil. Luckily a friend was able to place it back on the gun. I cannot wait to save up the money and buy some sort of Browning Citori.
Old September 14, 2006, 01:31 AM   #14
butwhat

When I first started shooting trap I shot an old side by side Montgomery Wards 12 ga that I had picked up for $65. Next I had an 870 field grade that I bought for $150. I still shoot best an 870 TB that I bought for $300 at a trap shoot. It all depends on what you want to shoot & how fast you pump. I shot with a guy that won the regional International trap shoot with an 870. He didn't need many second shots anyway. If your going to shoot sporting clays you might want to buy an auto or a double. The one time national doubles champ's favorite gun was his 870. And he was sponsored by Winchester. He once told me when I was looking for a double to never buy a 101. He said "They break to much. I just shoot one because they give them to me."
It all comes up to fit & durability. Trap shooting is addictive and you'll go through a lot of shells. If your shooting games you'll want something you can hold up for as many as 300 rounds in a day. If you pull a gun up and it shoots where you want comfortably without having to adjust yourself to make it shoot, then that's the gun for you. That may be an old H&R or that might be a Perazzi. There are guys out there that are very good at making a gun fit you. If you buy a gun and find yourself struggling to shoot it find one of these guys and seek his advice. They are usually more than happy to help you out. But beware of the other trapshooters that are full of BS and themselves.
There was some kind of saying about trap shooters & skeet shooters. Something like - In Between shoots a skeet shooter has a cup of coffee. A trap shooter trys to trade his gun, buy another or fix the one he's got because it's not shooting right.
You might want to consider looking for a deal on a reloader. Often times you can pick up a used unit with supplies for less than the price of a new one. Guys are always getting in & out of reloading. Mine have been sitting in the closet for at least 5 years. along with enough supplies to load about 1000 shells. Dang ole shoulder. Depending on what type of clay bird shooting your getting into and your financial situation as far as shooting all new shells.
Old September 14, 2006, 07:02 PM   #15
skeeter1

Rotflmao!

Quote:
There was some kind of saying about trap shooters & skeet shooters. Something like - In Between shoots a skeet shooter has a cup of coffee. A trap shooter trys to trade his gun, buy another or fix the one he's got because it's not shooting right.
Wow, how quite true. When I was in my trapshooting heyday, there were always guys there trying to sell something because it didn't work well enough. Some of it was expensive iron (Benelli, Beretta, Weatherby, etc). I guess it didn't occur to them that maybe THEY were the problem.

For whatever reason, there does seem to be a LOT of snobbery among the trapshooting crowd. When I first got into it in my mid-20s, the elders at the range didn't want me around, particularly when I beat them.

Sadly, all of the ranges near here have closed down, maybe because those crabby old guys didn't want to encourage new shooters. Now that I'm in my mid-50s, I take particular pride in helping a young shooter in any way I can.
Old September 14, 2006, 08:46 PM   #16
butwhat

I only saw a real bad example of rudeness on the range once. A guy we forever after have called Evil Roy Slade. He dressed all in black & had a roach clip on his shooting pouch for his cigarrette. Several of us that shot together brought a newbie along. A safe, fine natural shot and good guy. We talked him into signing up to shoot the games. We explained to him that all the shooters were pretty good guys and to just tell them that it was his first time shooting games and they would keep him up on what was going on. He ended up next to Roy for the first Annie a few people either way from any of the rest of us. He told Roy it was his first time shooting games and Roy replied "If it's your first time shooting games then you shouldn't even be out here." When the rest of us heard what happened we made it a point to keep Roy out of the money all night. I got Roy for a partner in a protection. He didn't seem to like the fact that I was a slow shooter. I said something to the effect "if you can't back me up then you shouldn't even be out here."