The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old March 8, 2006, 05:50 PM   #1
Eghad

Border Wars

What an eye opening article. Thanks, it cleared to me what all the fuss is about. Salutes to the volunteers for helping out when the US Government appears to impotent.

P.S. I love Claire Wolfe. when is she running for President? Has my vote.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Eghad; March 10, 2006 at 10:21 PM.
Eghad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2006, 09:16 PM   #2
Jeff Randall

Eghad,

Thanks for the comments. There was a lot more I wished I could have written in that article but it would take a book to cover everything that's going on there, plus there are probably some things that are just better left unsaid. There are a lot of good people doing a lot of hard work there, and these are not the chest beaters you see on TV. Instead it's small groups of quiet folks securing sections of the border. They don't care to have the ACLU and SPLC knowing when and where they're operating. If some criminal just happens to fall and hit his head on a rock while ilegally crosing the border, then it's hard for SPLC to sue a rock and win a ranch or 500K dollar judgement like they did against Foote. While a lot of folks would have us believe that these are kooks and racists working the border, it would surprise a lot of folks to know who a lot of these folks really are, and who's backing them with $$$$. It's damn sure not the Aryan Nations, KKK, or other similar idiots. There are a lot of powerful influences at play on the border right now. A helluva lot of politics and a lot of money on the line. The sad part is the landowner is getting ****ed.

Jeff

PS: if you really want to do something to help these ranchers on the border, then send a copy of this article to your congressman and your local media.
Old March 10, 2006, 10:20 PM   #3
Eghad

I would be willing to bet that most of the property owners have been there for quite a few years in some cases generations. I sometimes allude that I live in Bubba country, but Im glad I do. If those folks are anything like the ones here and you were hungry and he only had one sandwhich he would give you half. Hard working honest folks who just want to work the land in peace and enjoy it. These are the folks that get screwed over.

NRA Life Member
Old March 17, 2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Dust_Devil

Very good article indeed.

If there is any article in SWAT that all American citizens should be required to read, it is this one. The people of this country should have the right to know the truth of the illegal trespassers in this country.

BTW, in the pics shown in the article, there is one where the illegals going back over the fence are wearing rags wrapped around their shoes. At first I thought they were just some makeshift footwear then I remembered a prior article in SWAT about tracking techniques and it was mentioned that wrapping your feet in clothes or rags would help prevent footprints.
Could this be the case here? It sure looks like it.
Dust_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2006, 08:51 PM   #5
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Quote:
Could this be the case here? It sure looks like it.
There has been a lot of publicity surrounding the Shadow Wolves of the U.S. Cusotms Service.

The Shadow Wolves are famed for their tracking abilities, so the coyotes and the jumpers will be focussing on throwing them off the trail, so to speak.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2006, 09:35 PM   #6
Jeff Randall

You're right. These "booties" are designed to make tracks less noticeable and make it harder for someone to know the size of the group. But the good guys that are working these areas have turned into pretty good trackers
Old March 17, 2006, 09:40 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The Shadow Wolves are famed for their tracking abilities,...
You have to see them in action to believe it. I was VERY fortunate to work and train under a legendary Shadow Wolf, Jack Fields (R.I.P. Jack )

Jack retired from the Border Patrol, got bored, and took the job of Chief Ranger at Grand Canyon's North Rim. He trained us in tracking for both law enforcement and search & rescue purposes in the 70's, but none of us could, or ever would, even come close to his abilities.

He challenged us to loose him, and I, being young and cocky , took up the challenge. I tried everything from going barefoot, backtracking, side stepping to rocks, and even did the hand-over-hand thing from a tree limb. That human bloodhound never missed a step. He went to the agreed upon starting point and immediately picked up the trail. At times, he literally had his nose to the ground and sometimes progressed only several feet per minute., but it wasn't long before he found me .

These guys are amazing.... simply, amazing . They are true artists.

Hey Jeff! Were you wearing a catcher's mitt for the rocks they threw at you?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Capt. Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2006, 10:02 PM   #8
Jeff Randall

Charlie,

Being the dumbass that I am, I was so busy trying to shoot photos the only way I knew about the rocks coming over the fence was when one of my partners yelled at me. At that point I decided photos weren't worth it and started avoiding the boulders these bastards were throwing.
Old March 18, 2006, 01:18 AM   #9
Eghad

Nice Photo Gallery....

NRA Life Member
Old March 20, 2006, 11:51 AM   #10
ahenry

Quote:
There has been a lot of publicity surrounding the Shadow Wolves of the U.S. Cusotms Service.The Shadow Wolves are famed for their tracking abilities, so the coyotes and the jumpers will be focussing on throwing them off the trail, so to speak.
LawDog
The Shadow Wolves have impressive skills, but they only cover a relatively tiny portion of the border. The whole rest of it is covered by the “regular” BP agents, and they track border crossers as well. Hundreds of thousands of aliens and tens of thousands of pounds of drugs are apprehended through tracking each year and most of it isn’t done by the Shadow Wolves. This isn’t meant to diminish or denigrate the Shadow Wolves, just to make the point that pretty much all BP agents are out there tracking dope, smugglers and aliens on a regular basis and dealing with the “brushouts”, walking on carpet pieces, animal feet strapped the bottom of shoes, walking backwards, bare foot walkers, changing shoes, etc, etc. Shadow Wolves are “cool”, but there are many, many plain jane agents out there doing the same thing, they just don’t get any of the cool points. They’re just doing their job day in and day out.