The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 14, 2001, 02:06 AM   #1
MAURICE

question about black powder revolvers.

im 18,and i live in arkansas.
i can buy one,right?

i just got my bass pro shops/redhead catalog (although there arent any revolvers in it) and its got me interested in 'em.

ive always thought they were cool. the whole idea of going back into our roots,and what have you...

i would like to order one through the mail,i just wanted to make sure about legalities.

also,any recommendations would be very welcome.
i dont have much money at the moment,so please be realistic. remember,im paying tuition and car mayments
Old September 14, 2001, 04:43 AM   #2
Kent White

Check Cabelas, they have a lot of BP revolvers. You have to be 21 to order, but there are no restrictions on shipping it directly to you. Check your local and state regs to be sure, though.

I highly recommend it. It's a lot of fun...it also makes you really appreciate cartridge firearms.
Old September 14, 2001, 08:19 AM   #3
Cap n ball

Maurice, I wouldn't buy any firearm through the mail but thats just me. Since you are in Arkansas, I'd make a three day road trip to Union City in Tenn and visit Dixie Gun works and take a good hard look at what is available. If you have the bucks buy quality. The best replicas are made by Uberti and Pedersolli. Pietta runs a distant third. Also it's a great trip and lots of neat stuff to see along the way. The guys at Dixie are very hip to what you are into and will not sell you something you don't want or need. They also have a really cool collection and museum.
Old September 14, 2001, 02:25 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

Don't get the ones from Bass Pro and Cabelas. They are Piettas, not Uberti's. Mine was way out of time, and the first few hammer drops wrecked the cylinder. I'm also on the second "hand". The small flat springs on the Pietta's aren't of very good quality.
Old September 14, 2001, 03:47 PM   #5
MAURICE

thanks for the warning, little doggy woofbark shooter.
before i buy one im going to try to find one in the area and check it out.
Old September 14, 2001, 11:20 PM   #6
Alex Johnson

Generally there is nothing wrong with the Cabela's revolvers. I own several of them and I also own a variety of Uberti's and genuine Colts also. The Pietta's aren't finished as nicely as the others and some of them do have relatively soft steel, but I also know they can be a good value. My first cap and ball revolver was a Cabela's 1858 Remington steel frame .44. I payed less than $100 for it new and shot over 2000 balls through it. By the time I had finished all that it was still tight and very accurate.

Also, we have a Cabela's store here in Grand Forks and I have noticed several of the guns they sell new are actually Uberti's. The 1849 pocket model and the 1862 army's are both Uberti's as well as the big Walker. I would recommend that you buy the Remington as it is stronger and it will also tend to shoot to point of aim, at least more so than the Colt reproductions that seem to shoot pretty high. Also, steer clear of the brass frames, they will shoot loose sooner than later, no matter who makes them.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old September 15, 2001, 10:29 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you have any skill with a file, have patience and time, you may want to consider a Navy Arms kit. They're preassembled but the metal is rough and requirings filing, sanding & polishing. The CVA kits require more mechanical aptitude and parts must be fitted.