The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2010, 10:38 AM   #1
dsv424

Reloading 7mm Mauser

My father gave me his 7mm Mauser and I have never reloaded for a bolt-action before. I do reload .223 and .308 semi-auto carbines and a .357 lever-action. Never really had any problems reloading for them. Is there anything I need to be aware of or different when loading for a bolt-action. I think I read somewhere that I should get a head space guage for bolt-action but not sure if it was neccessary. The gun appears to be in very good condition except for the bore. I have been cleaning it on and off for a week now and I'm still seeing build up in the grooves. Don't think I have ever seen a bore this bad before.
Old January 7, 2010, 10:41 AM   #2
GeauxTide

If it's military, load conservative. If it's commerical, loads can approach the 280.
Old January 7, 2010, 11:18 AM   #3
plainsman456

For cleaning the barrel you might try some jb bore paste.It doesn't take much to get it looking better.What type of rifle is it?
Old January 7, 2010, 11:44 AM   #4
wncchester

There is nothing unique about reloading for a bolt gun.
Old January 7, 2010, 07:38 PM   #5
80viking

The 7x57 Mauser is one of my favorite cartridges. The advantage of reloading for a bolt action is that cases can be either neck sized, or partially resized with a standard sizing die.

One of the things I like about the 7x57 is that it hits hard and is easy on the shoulder.

You need to know if its a large ring or small ring action to determine what power level to load to.

Any idea which model and country of origin?
Old January 7, 2010, 10:58 PM   #6
dsv424

Thanks for the responses, I have heard of JB bore paste and I will give it a try as soon as I can find some. Also, 80viking I'm glad to find someone who might be able to give me some info on my 7mm Mauser. My father has passed away and I really don't even know where he got the rifle. I remember I was about 10 or 11 when he purchased it and this was around 1970 or so. I have posted some pics of it and I would be very grateful if someone could tell me something about it. Hopefully, some of the questions 80viking asked could be answered from the pics. I can see the crest says 1904 and Frabrica de Armas. Thanks for anything you could tell me about it. Also if someone has loads I can safely use with it that would be appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old January 7, 2010, 11:09 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I can see the crest says 1904 and Frabrica de Armas.
It's a Spanish Mauser, but I'm not sure which model it would be: 98 clone, 1893 (doubtful), or other....
I'm not expert, though...

It's interesting that the Spanish crest has been polished off. (Or appears to have been)
Old January 7, 2010, 11:48 PM   #8
azar92

Whatever it is, it's a beautiful gun!
Old January 8, 2010, 01:29 AM   #9
Scorch

You have a sporterized Mauser Model 1893 pattern rifle made at the Spanish armory at Oviedo in 1904. I owned and shot a rifle similar to yours for years using 140 gr bullets in front of 42.5 gr of IMR4320 or 49.0 gr of W760. This will give you about 2,700 fps, a fairly mild load but very functional for deer and hogs. In old military rifles of uncertain heritage, do not try to hotrod the 7X57.
Old January 8, 2010, 11:51 AM   #10
dsv424

Thx for the info guys. I'm assuming this means it is a small ring action. Not sure what that means as far as reloading for it. But I was only going to load it towards the lower end of the scale. Is there anything I need to pay special attention to when cleaning this gun? My brother shot a few weeks ago and said it worked great with 139 grain factory ammo. But after looking at the barrel I don't want to shoot it until I get the bore cleaned out good.
Old January 11, 2010, 08:41 PM   #11
xnaerughiazk

This mauser undoubtably has shot corrosive primers, many times the bores weren't cleaned thoroughly and the salts have pitted the bore. If it shoots accurately as your brother states, at some point the bore is going to be as clean as you can get it, so quit cleaning. Just shoot it and clean it as you would do any rifle, a pitted bore sometimes will still be quite accurate.
Old September 6, 2011, 11:30 AM   #12
jmstr

Beautiful Mauser.

Yep, I know the thread was dead. But I LIKE Mausers!

I don't know if you ever figured out the design type, but I wouldn't bet on it being a '93. It looks like the bolt drops into the metal of the frame/receiver thingy [very technical term I just made up!]. That puts it at least in the '95 catetory if not a Spanish 96 or the '98.

If you still don't know which it is, try a picture with the bolt in the rear/ejecting position so we can see the locking lugs and the frame the bolt slides on.

I have a '95 so I love to see anything that might be a cousin!
Old September 6, 2011, 11:57 AM   #13
zippy13

Does this model cock on closing or opening the bolt? My M-93 "Spanish" Mauser cocks on closing.
Old September 6, 2011, 04:49 PM   #14
Paul B.

I think it's an 1893. AFAIK, the Arsenal at Oviedo Spain only made the 93 Mauser. Really simple way to determine. If it cocks on closing andwhen you remove the bolt, if the bottom of the bolt is flat, it's an 1893. If it coscks on closing and the bottom of the bolt is round, it's an 1895. If it cocks on opening odds are it's an 1898 Mauser although some people have converted the 93 and 95 Mausers to cock on opening.
Anyway, my money's on it being an 1893.
Paul B.
Old September 6, 2011, 05:21 PM   #15
Scorch

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on it being a '93.
Better take that bet!

The Spanish armory at Oviedo made 1893 rifles for the Spanish military and police, and a very limited quantity of 1895 rifles, primarily for export.

The distinguishing external features that identify it as a 1893 Mauser are the long bolt shroud, the flat-sided safety, and the lack of the "safety" area for the butt of the bolt handle found on the 1895 (the 1895 is an "improved" version of the 1893 action, it has a recess for the bolt handle to serve as a safety lug).
Old September 6, 2011, 05:50 PM   #16
jmstr

Quote:
The distinguishing external features that identify it as a 1893 Mauser are the long bolt shroud, the flat-sided safety, and the lack of the "safety" area for the butt of the bolt handle found on the 1895 (the 1895 is an "improved" version of the 1893 action, it has a recess for the bolt handle to serve as a safety lug).
Hmmm.

I'm not at home, but the safety on my 1895 Chilean has the same flat side with checkering. It does have a safety 'notch' that the bolt handle fits into, but I can't see in this picture well enough to tell if it is the same. And I'm not sure what you mean by bolt shroud as I'm not up on the technical terms. If you are referring to the metal the safety is attached to and that the bolt travels through, the piece to the left of the bolt handle in the picture, then I'd swear it looks about the same length as my 1895 Mauser.

I don't know enough about these rifles to bet on it being any year. That is what I meant by 'I wouldn't bet on it being an 1893'. It looks similar enough to my rifle that I'd need to see the rifle with the bolt drawn back to see if that notch was there or not. I can't see enough detail to confirm my hazy memory of what that area looks like.

However, I don't care what year it is: It is a FINE looking Mauser!