The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2010, 12:57 AM   #1
SAA GunSlinger

Please help im a beginner at reloading!!!

Hello everyone, I have a good size hand gun collection and i would like to know how to reload my own ammunition. I will be reloading for my most expensive handgun to shoot (desert eagle .50 AE) I keep going to the gun stores and looking at beginner reloading kits and all the materials that goes with it but i dont know where to start! Could some one please give me an exact list of what i will need to begin reloading for my Desert eagle .50 I would love to start reloading as soon as possible, it looks very intresting and a great way to expand my hobby of shooting. Help on this one would be greatly appreicated. Thank you very much
Old March 3, 2010, 01:05 AM   #2
crimsondave

Buy this....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct..._campaign=9315

and this...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=217655

read them before you buy any equipment. Other manuals are good too, but these have good instructional sections.
Old March 3, 2010, 01:10 AM   #3
jimkim

Quote:
Buy this....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct..._campaign=9315

and this...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=217655

read them before you buy any equipment. Other manuals are good too, but these have good instructional sections.
That pretty much covers it. A good manual will list everything you need.
Check out the links, in the first post of this thread. http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/han...must-know.html
Old March 3, 2010, 02:37 AM   #4
SAA GunSlinger

Ill be sure to purchase these right away. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Ill be sure to tell ya how it goes.
Old March 3, 2010, 02:39 AM   #5
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day.
Will you be loading any rifle ammo?
Can you list the calibers?
Old March 3, 2010, 07:13 AM   #6
NCMountain

There is plenty of information to give but do a search on the forum here under reloading "sticky" that will have maybe every answer you can ask a question to. Good luck.
Old March 3, 2010, 08:30 AM   #7
jeeping

Hey man, when I started I was just like you, didn't know what to get first. Guys telling you to get the lee loading book are right. I got that book and I got this press
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=622290
and never looked back. Only thing you will need is dies. Had this press for some time now, loaded over 10,000 rounds of 357 and still working with no problems.
You will need to get powder, primers, bullets, and brass. But I would do that after you find a first load for your gun. I spent 5 days reading that book, then looking on the forums trying to find first load data.
Hope that helps.

P.S. Also see if you can find once fired brass to use first, you will ef up few rounds in the beginning as you learn.

Last edited by jeeping; March 3, 2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old March 3, 2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Uncle Buck

Before you actually buy your powder, you need to know what bullets you'll be loading. There is no one powder that is universal to all loads.

Read the manual(s) and when you are comfortable, make a list of the bullets you want to reload and the powders you can use for each of these bullets.

You'll find a lot of the powders have several applications to what you want to reload and I would choose them.

Also, when it comes to pistol dies, if you can afford the carbide dies, get them. With carbide dies you do not have to mess with lubes and sticky fingers and stuff like that.

I hope you enjoy reloading.
Old March 3, 2010, 12:17 PM   #9
zippy13

Others will probably add to this, here's an idea what you'll need/want for basic reloading.
  • Data: First, as the others have mentioned, you'll need reference materials for general reloading procedures and the specific instructions for your reloading equipment. We live in the information age and a lot of data and how-to videos are available on-line.
  • Weights and measures: Reloading requires some degree of precision and you need the ability to make some basic measurements. First is a scale, you have to be able to weigh your power charge. And, you'll need something to measure lengths and diameters to a thousandth of an inch. There are budget gauges, but most prefer dial calipers.
  • Basic components: Obviously you need the parts to assemble your loaded rounds, it's pretty simple there's just: the brass shell casing (hopefully you've been saving your brass), primer, powder and the bullet. To avoid confusion (the variety of components available can be overwhelming to the novice), it's probably easiest to start by duplicating a commercial load that you're already using.
  • Tools: All reloading tools do the same procedures but vary in their sophistication and complication. You resize the brass, remove and replace the primer, add powder and seat a bullet over the powder. You can reload with a $40 LEE Classic, or spend well over $1K for something with all the bells and whistles. What it comes down to is a set of dies to fit your cartridge, a press to motivate the dies, and various adapters like shell holders and large/small primer feeds.
  • Prep and clean-up: Before you reload all of your accumulated brass you need to inspect and clean each case. Cleaning can be as simple as an internal brushing and external wipe-down, or there are various bathing solutions, or tumblers and ultra-sonic cleaners. You may need to trim the case after several reloads, there are special tools for that. De-burring/chamfering case openings is is another task that done with a simple, but specialized tool. Some cases will need to be lubricated and there are several ways to do this. After your rounds come out of the press, you're not quite ready to shoot. You'll want to do a final inspection and remove any residue.
The good news, many reloading tool manufacturers can supply you with all of the goodies required to get started. Frequently there are good prices on bundled kits, they include everything you'll need (except a set of dies in your caliber in some cases).
Old March 3, 2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I can't believe no one has referenced the sticky thread at the top of this very forum....

Everything you need you know, certainly enough to make your brain hurt....

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=230171
Old March 3, 2010, 01:45 PM   #11
Fishslayer

Quote:
Also, when it comes to pistol dies, if you can afford the carbide dies, get them. With carbide dies you do not have to mess with lubes and sticky fingers and stuff like that.
^^^ this. Actually, the carbide aren't a lot more $$$ than the ordinary ones. You'll save the difference with a few hundred .50AE reloads.
Old March 3, 2010, 06:19 PM   #12
BigJimP

Look over the thread at the top of this forum first ....but manuals are good too.

Lots of good equipment out there / but personally I prefer Dillon equipment. They have a good website / help you pick a loader ...and they have manuals online as well. I like the Dillon 650 / but Hornady, RCBS, etc make good equipment as well.

Go slow with the process / learn / talk to a lot of people before you jump into this with both feet. Reloading for cost savings is one factor / but many of us would reload even if it was a push ... and because we like this part of the hobby. But it takes an attitude / where close enough isn't ok ... You have to be very exact / keep the area clean / keep the press tuned up ...etc ...and hopefully, you'll get a much higher quality round than you can buy over the counter.
Old March 3, 2010, 08:22 PM   #13
SAA GunSlinger

WOW....THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!...there is alot of great advice here thanks for taking the time to help me out...i just went out and bought the book everyone suggested and am currently reading it and im taking all the advice too....thanks agian