The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 26, 2018, 09:50 AM   #1
MagnumWill

It happened - Civilian Marksmanship Program has received almost 100,000 Garands

I’ve been in the market for a Garand for awhile now, and i’m anxiously awaiting receiving my club membership so that I can receive a CMP Garand. I have been using a loaner Garand for my (not-CMP-listed, but will be soon) club’s High Power matches. It’s an old, worn Field Grade but i’ve been jonesing for one to call my own. The wife has also not only authorized, but is funding my Garand acquisition, as she knows I’m a huge history buff.

I remember this was a hot topic early last year, and from the video she has confirmed that the CMP did in fact not only receive 86,000 M1 Garands from the Philippines (condition unknown), but they have also received 13,000 Turkish M1 Garands as well (condition also unknown).

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...kly+Newsletter
Old January 26, 2018, 10:29 AM   #2
odugrad

I've had the opportunity to shoot one on many occasions as my father has one. How do you go about acquiring one through the CMP?
Old January 26, 2018, 10:34 AM   #3
langenc

CMP.org has the whole procedure
Old January 26, 2018, 10:40 AM   #4
MagnumWill

The best way to do it is join one of the clubs in your area that they have listed on the CMP website, and you must have proof of some type of firearms or marksmanship activity that’s also listed on the website. For me I have my CCW and that’s an acceptable “Firearms activity”. Also a Curio and Relic license will work.
Old January 26, 2018, 10:45 AM   #5
langenc

Correction---
thecmp.org
Old January 26, 2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Orlando

you do not have to belong to a local club. $14 will will get you club membership to the M1 Collectors Club and take care of that part
You do not have to shoot in a match to qualify. Curio Relics license, hunting license with live fire training or download form take it to local range, have range officer witness you handling/firing rifle or handgun and have him sign off
This is just several ways to qualify for the firearm portion
Old January 27, 2018, 08:46 AM   #7
Reloadron

REQUIREMENTS FOR PURCHASE
That pretty much covers all of it and per Orlando club membership can be as simple as joining the M1 Garand collectors association. MARKSMANSHIP OR OTHER FIREARMS RELATED ACTIVITY: can be as simple as being a US Veteran or simply being over 60 years of age. Anyway, it is all covered in the above link.

Ron
Old January 29, 2018, 12:01 AM   #8
Ignition Override

For the cost of a Domino's pizza: I joined the M-1 Collectors' Club (or Garand C. A.) several years ago.

It's so simple that people don't seem to believe or understand it.
In what other country can you skip one pizza, and qualify to buy an M-1?

**Has the CMP actually Confirmed that they now Have this new shipment of Garands---on their property--- to begin evaluations for safe operation, and then customer processing?

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 29, 2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old January 29, 2018, 12:16 AM   #9
Model12Win

So glad out CMP overlords get to piecemeal them out at whatever they want to charge for them. Screw an open market, let's go the communist way!
Old January 29, 2018, 01:37 AM   #10
Ignition Override

Model12Win:

The Garands I've seen at guns shows are always priced much higher than what the CMP charges.
Old January 29, 2018, 03:55 AM   #11
DubC-Hicks

The CMP Garands are the best deal out there. Far from the "communist way". I was browsing the site earlier and saw they have service grades for $730 currently. Good luck finding a Garand at an "open market" gun show for $730 that isn't missing parts or beat to crap.
Old January 29, 2018, 09:22 AM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
So glad out CMP overlords get to piecemeal them out at whatever they want to charge for them. Screw an open market, let's go the communist way!
Huh? The CMP has traditionally sold these rifles at far below market value.

Granted, I'm not sure that they should charge at all, considering the US taxpayer already paid for them once, but at least the money goes to a good cause (marksmanship and safety programs). They also spend a lot of time grading these rifles and preparing them for market.
Old January 29, 2018, 09:31 AM   #13
Bartholomew Roberts

They certainly wouldn’t be priced lower if they were sold at market value. The purpose of the CMP is to promote civilian marksmanship. At one time, they were an actual federal agency who was funded by Congress; but they were made a private corporation during the Clinton era as a compromise towards not being destroyed entirely.

Beimg able to fund competitions, operations, and still sell below market price is no small feat I imagine.
Old January 29, 2018, 10:34 AM   #14
Fishbed77

Quote:
They certainly wouldn’t be priced lower if they were sold at market value.
Agreed. I got my very nice (muzzle reading 0+ and throat reading of 1+) Service Grade Springfield WW2-serial M1 for $625 from the CMP in 2012.

If I had walked into a local gun store or gun show back then looking for a Garand of similar quality, I would have had to part with at least $1000-1200 to get one.
Old January 29, 2018, 11:32 AM   #15
kraigwy

Selling M1 Garands isnt the reason the CMP exist. The Mission of th CMP, like its father, the DCM, is to train US citizens in the firearm safety, use of military weapons. Conduct the National Matches, and Small Arms Firing Schools.

Since 1996 they get zero federal funding. To conduct their programs they only get funding from the sales of firearms, ammo and other equipment.

I got involved with the "then" DCM and since '96 the CMP. If one has been involved withh both you'd see the CMP is more effecient. The DCM depended on federal funds which was iffy at best from year to year.

Yes our tax dollars did buy the M1s in the first place, but we've been paid back by the freedoms soldiers carring these rifles faught for.

I dont know why we're all excited about the 100K rifles coming in. Yes its a good deal as it will allow continuing operations of the DMP for years to come. But if you want a M1, order it now. They have plenty of M1's not.

If you have one or plan on getting one, the best place to shoot it is at the CMP GSM Garand Matches. Find a local DCM affiliated club in your area and get involved with the clinics and matches.

You'll soon learn the true value of these rifles, plus meet friendly, like minded fellow shooters.

You can find a list of clubs on the CMP Website.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 29, 2018, 11:47 AM   #16
amd6547

When I picked out my M1 Carbine at CMP North Store a few years ago, I paid $479. It was worth $650 as soon as I walked out the door. Today, approaching a thousand.
If that’s communism, I’ll take it!
Old January 29, 2018, 12:58 PM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Want to stop the discussion of the 'communist' way. Not relevant. If you don't want from the program for ideological reasons, good for you.
Old January 29, 2018, 01:41 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

"...So glad out CMP overlords..." You should really learn something about the CMP. When you buy from the CMP, you know you're getting a rifle that's safe to shoot. Every rifle they sell is thoroughly inspected before it gets close to being on sale. If they've got 99,000 rifles it's going to be a while before they're on a sales rack.
Any rifle used by the PI or Turkey will have been rode hard and put away wet. Conscripted troopies are not known for being gentle with the kit they're issued. Lotta wet jungle in the PI and lots of rocks to bash a rifle on in Turkey.
Old January 29, 2018, 05:52 PM   #19
Orlando

Not the first time CMP had Turkish returns, remember the IHC's a couple years ago?? Thats where they came from, they were nice rifles
Old January 30, 2018, 12:45 PM   #20
OSUCowboy67

A Very Special Garand

My garand was purchased from long time (several decades since childhood) friend who was suffering from a terminal disease in 2011. Wrote him a check for 900 dollars that he was asking for service grade M1 he purchased from DCM. He and I shot the rifle many times before he passed, and now those memories are permanently attached to this Special Garand.
Old January 30, 2018, 01:49 PM   #21
Fishbed77

Quote:
Any rifle used by the PI or Turkey will have been rode hard and put away wet. Conscripted troopies are not known for being gentle with the kit they're issued. Lotta wet jungle in the PI and lots of rocks to bash a rifle on in Turkey.
Maybe. Maybe not. They may have just as easily been foreign aid that was put into storage and never removed from their crates.

Regardless, the CMP does a very good job of grading these rifles based on condition, so it's easy to buy with the confidence that you know what you are getting.
Old January 30, 2018, 07:52 PM   #22
Ignition Override

Were't a fair share of the fairly recent M-1s also from crates which had been stored in Greece and never removed? They were Service Grade Specials (H&R receivers), or vice versa.

A fellow customer at the Anniston CMP store (approx. five years ago) attended a collector's meeting around that time and had this impression, regarding some of that batch.
Old January 30, 2018, 11:50 PM   #23
In The Ten Ring

Thanks for this thread! I will give them another call and see if they have my father's rifle he carried in Korea. I've asked twice already but maybe it's in this new bunch.
Old January 31, 2018, 08:44 AM   #24
agtman

Quote:
The Garands I've seen at guns shows are always priced much higher than what the CMP charges.
Not to mention, ... Gun Show Garands are notorious for having out-of-spec parts and tomato-stake barrels, and price-wise they're typically marked-up from basic Field- or Rack-Grade level to "Correct"-level.

Dealers swap out in-spec parts for junker parts (the in-spec parts to be either used as replacements in their own personal M1s, or to be sold separately as "NOS").

It's a surprise if an 8-rd clip can be fired through a Gun Show M1 without a hiccup.
Old February 1, 2018, 10:18 AM   #25
Fishbed77

Quote:
Thanks for this thread! I will give them another call and see if they have my father's rifle he carried in Korea. I've asked twice already but maybe it's in this new bunch.
Good luck with that. Out of 5,468,772 made, I'm sure they are bound to have it.