The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 12, 2021, 07:20 PM   #1
ligonierbill

Sharps 1874 vs....

I blame it on Hickok45. A couple years back, he did a video on the 4 vintage American single shot breachloaders: Trapdoor Springfield, Remington Rolling Block, Winchester 1885, and the Sharps. He had a beautiful Lyman branded 1874 replica. Now, I have an original Trapdoor, a Rolling Block built on an original Remington action, and as of today a Uberti built replica of the 1885. A Sharps would complete the set, but a decent replica goes for more than twice the total of the first 3 (OK, the Trapdoor was a gift) and a really nice original sold recently on Gunbroker for twice that. So, a lot of money, at least for me.

I don't doubt for a second the elegance and history attached to the Sharps, but how does it compare to the others from a practical shooters perspective? (I'll probably have to get one regardless.) And, which replica is the best in your opinion?
Old January 13, 2021, 12:48 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Pedersoli in my opinion. I’ve owned three of them in different grades. They are meticulously built and are great shooters.
Old January 13, 2021, 11:59 AM   #3
Oliver Sudden

Pedersoli makes a fine rifle, the Shiloh Sharps are the finest. It’s all in the details and Shiloh holds the closest to the original Sharps.
Old January 13, 2021, 01:24 PM   #4
reinert

Nothing wrong with Pedersoli guns, but a Shiloh Sharps is definitely worth the year and a half to two year wait (I believe that's what it is now) to get a gun made for YOU, with the impeccable warranty that goes with it. They are 100% American made from muzzle crown to butt screws. I believe a Shiloh #3 Sporting rifle is priced right around 2K these days (haven't looked for a while). That's gotta be fairly close to what a Pedersoli Sharps goes for in a near configuration. (?) I have two Shilohs, love 'em both. Fine guns, fine shooters, especially with the "Holy Black." My opinion, and nothing more.
Old January 13, 2021, 02:40 PM   #5
Jim Watson

C. Sharps is good, too, their 1875 Sharps is a bargain if you can stay off the option list.

I think the Winchester is the best design.
Practical shooting will depend on barrel and sights, whatever the action.

But if you want something NICE, just squander the kid's college fund and get an 1877 from Shiloh or C. Sharps.
Old January 14, 2021, 05:18 PM   #6
105kw

I have had better luck with C Sharps than Shiloh.
This is just my experience, but my 50-70 C Sharps is a beautiful piece.
I have owned 2 Pedersoli 1874 Sharps and I believe they are the best deal for the price.
Trapdoors are a lot of fun too. Lots of original guns, plus Italian repros.
If I had the money, I would not hesitate to by another C Sharps full buffalo gun. Mine is a 26in bbl saddle rifle, with a light octagon barrel. A light hunting gun.
Old January 14, 2021, 10:18 PM   #7
ms6852

Pedersoli is great and available. I wanted to order a Shiloh or a C sharps but just did not want to wait that long. Life is fleeting and I would hate to put down a chunk of many and die while waiting. Have not regretted buying the Pedersoli sharps, very very accurate rifle.
Old January 15, 2021, 12:02 PM   #8
reinert

"I WANTED TO ORDER A SHILOH OR A C. SHARPS BUT JUST DID NOT WANT TO WAIT THAT LONG... LIFE IS FLEETING..."

Ain't that the truth. I believe anyone who seriously wants to order a Shiloh (my choice) or a C. Sharps, HAS GOT TO go through that angst of whether or not you'll live long enough to see, let alone shoot, the rifle built for YOU. I know I did. My first Shiloh I've now owned for over 20 years, and my second one I've owned for near 9. Keepers both. "Good things come to those who wait," is a hard discipline to learn, but the Big Timber guns are truly worthy of the wait, and again, just my own opinion.

Check out this website; cool site to peruse and he offers new Shiloh guns ready to sell, with the full Shiloh warranty to the purchaser:

www.goodmanguns.com

or,

www.shiloh-ballard.com

The Ballard is another fine single shot worthy to be mentioned in this thread, too (IMO).
Old January 15, 2021, 01:21 PM   #9
Jim Watson

Remington Hepburn No 3
https://www.dzhepburn.com/no-3-hepburn-target-rifle/

Providence Tool Co. was making Peabody rifles but all they show on their site now is sights.
Old January 15, 2021, 02:36 PM   #10
105kw

I don't know about Shiloh, but C Sharps is saying up to 9 months for delivery.
Which is less than my SBR paper work took. It's all a matter of how long you are willing to wait to get what you want.
Old January 16, 2021, 05:44 PM   #11
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinert View Post
"I WANTED TO ORDER A SHILOH OR A C. SHARPS BUT JUST DID NOT WANT TO WAIT THAT LONG... LIFE IS FLEETING..."

Ain't that the truth. I believe anyone who seriously wants to order a Shiloh (my choice) or a C. Sharps, HAS GOT TO go through that angst of whether or not you'll live long enough to see, let alone shoot, the rifle built for YOU. I know I did. My first Shiloh I've now owned for over 20 years, and my second one I've owned for near 9. Keepers both. "Good things come to those who wait," is a hard discipline to learn, but the Big Timber guns are truly worthy of the wait, and again, just my own opinion.

Check out this website; cool site to peruse and he offers new Shiloh guns ready to sell, with the full Shiloh warranty to the purchaser:

www.goodmanguns.com

or,

www.shiloh-ballard.com

The Ballard is another fine single shot worthy to be mentioned in this thread, too (IMO).
Thanks for the links I bookmarked them.
Old January 16, 2021, 10:24 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

As a friend of mine, who has had multiple personal dealing with the Sharps makers in Big Timber has pointed out, neither of them is a "rifle maker" in the sense that Winchester or Savage, Marlin or Remington are/were.

They are custom shops who produce rifles. They don't have rifles on the shelf for sale, they don't start on a rifle until you put down your deposit or pay all up front. Then, they start making it, and it takes as long as it takes.

Think of the difference between a fast food place like McDonalds and a little mom & pop diner. McD's might make up burgers in advance ready right away when you order it. The diner doesn't start cooking until after you order.

If you can't or don't want to wait, go to McD's. Otherwise, wait the time it takes to make your food fresh for you.