The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2009, 06:30 AM   #1
micksis86

same caliber two different primer sizes???

I am about to begin reloading 6.8 Rem SPC, for my remington 700PSS.
My question is this. I have used both the Remington FMJ rounds and the Hornady V-max which are the two brands available to me in the shops.
Now I plan on using the spent brass to reload with when i noticed that the Hornady rounds use small primers and the remington use large.
I would like to use the Hornady brass however my manual (lyman#49) says the caliber takes large primers. What difference would this make if i used the small in the hornady brass? would i have to change powders or what?
What are your suggestions
Old July 1, 2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

No difference in your loading at all, other than the need for keeping your brass separate.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 1, 2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I also load for 6.8 for a Contender barrel ( albeit not alot yet, as I'm waiting to prioritize funds for a new scope )... I got my new brass from Silver State Armory, & they are all small primer ... personally I don't know which is better I think the bench rest shooters started doing 308 cases with small rifle primers for the wildcats based on 308 cases... I don't know if the small primer thing is an accuracy aid, or because the cartridge is most shot in an AR platform, & "everyone" has small rifl primers or ???

I've been warned by my loadng mentor, ( I'm an old dude but have a buddy thats loaded 30 years longer than I have & is a gun smith, so I trust his judgement ), that in cold weather the small primers may not offer reliable ignition ??? that cartridge, as least right now, for me, will only be a summer time cartridge, but it could turn out to be a good winter fox & yote cartridge???

if you are shooting for groups, I would not mix the loads, you'll likely find that one groups better with the loads you choose... at that point, I'd likely sell off the other, & replace it with your favorite of the two, & end up just keeping one size
Old July 1, 2009, 08:41 AM   #4
choicesmade24

.45 ACP has the same deal I reload the 45 with small pistol or large pistol primers depending on which brass I have. I have never had a single issue.
Old July 1, 2009, 12:42 PM   #5
wncchester

"What are your suggestions "

Use the correct size that will fit the brass, the other size won't work!
Old July 1, 2009, 06:00 PM   #6
micksis86

Thanks Guys,
Especially Winccester or should i say captain obvious.
Old July 1, 2009, 06:16 PM   #7
Doodlebugger45

I have seen some conflicts before. I think it was for the 475 Linebaugh I bought. If I recall, the Speer manual calls for large pistol primers whereas some other manual calls for large rifle primers. Since all I currently have is the pistol primers, I'm going to trust Speer on this one when my brass arrives.
Old July 1, 2009, 08:49 PM   #8
wncchester

Good luck Mick!