The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2009, 08:53 PM   #1
VHinch

.45 ACP 200gr SWC Load?

I'd like to work up a reasonably hot .45 ACP 200gr SWC load. I'm familiar with the Cooper load of 7.3(?) grains of Unique under a 215gr wadcutter, and if I recall that load should run up close to 1100 fps from a 5" barrel, but I'd like to tweak that one a tad.

I'll be using a 200gr cast SWC, and I'm not a big fan of Unique, I'd prefer to use either Bullseye or Red Dot. I'd also like to keep the velocity around 950 or so.

I'm sure someone's already thought this one through and done some of the leg work, anyone have a similar successful load they'll share?
Old July 1, 2009, 01:51 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION! This is not a standard manual load and nobody in their right mind will take any responsibility for what you do with it. Certainly not the board, its owners, or the lowly poster.

With that light bullet you don't really want a particularly slow powder. The old classic military load for 230 grain hardball was 5 grains of Bullseye. With the lighter bullet it looks to me like you can push it to 6 grains of Bullseye and the velocity will land about where you want. Alliant's web site shows the 200 grain Speer Gold Dot at 1.555 COL loaded with 7.9 grains of Bullseye, so 6 grains with the lead should be safe. Top loads with lead bullets can sometimes lead to pressure spikes from the lead distorting, but if you work up to it, watching for pressure signs, I think you'll probably get there.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 1, 2009, 06:07 AM   #3
darkgael

load data

Lyman's manual has a number of loads that are in the ballpark.
In addition to Bullseye powder, I'm fond of SR7625.
6.2 grains of 7625 will get you 945fps with a 200 grain SWC, according to Lyman.
Another load, listed at 940 fps, is 5.2 grains of 700X.
Pete