The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 2002, 05:02 PM   #1
Slater

870 attributes

From reading various gun forums and talking to people, it seems that the Remington 870 series is probably the most popular pump gun in service today. What is it about this design that has made it so popular? Never fired one myself, but thinking of getting one.
Old September 6, 2002, 05:12 PM   #2
bamf

Reliability and durability, you could really abuse and neglect an 870 and it will still function.

Throw in a very economical price and you have the makings of a very popular gun.
Old September 6, 2002, 05:57 PM   #3
SweatyMex

Bamf,

That's exactly why I ordered one. I pick it up in an hour.
Old September 6, 2002, 06:22 PM   #4
guitar7272

I liked them over the mossberg so much I bought two of them in 26" ribbed barrels.

Even my cousin, who has spent much time in the woods treking around with his mossberg said the 870 felt a lot nicer to him, especially the forearm. His mossberg is a bit shaky at the forearm, but the 870 has very little to no movement there. He picked mine up and decided that he wanted to go buy one - go figure...

Reliability and usability makes the 870 what it is... an excellent pump shotgun.

-Scott
Old September 6, 2002, 06:43 PM   #5
Romulus

I would have to add most emphatically...

ALL STEEL RECEIVER!

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old September 6, 2002, 08:25 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

870s are designed so well that one can take a boxful of unrelated and mismatched parts, put them together on a kitchen table, and use the result on 5 stand,pheasants,chukar,snow geese,trap, Sporting Clays and even chunking some slugs. All that and more in this last year with Frankenstein, my overpublicized parts 870.

870s exhibit such an aptitude for abuse that they're the big favorite for depts and agencies.

And, they're the least expensive, top quality shotgun there is. They're just aren't any better pumpguns.

Run a search in the Archives for 870, and plan on spending the weekend pointing,clicking and learning...

Last edited by Dave McC; September 8, 2002 at 05:57 AM.
Old September 7, 2002, 06:18 PM   #7
MarineTech

I can't praise my 870 enough. It was my 1st shotgun. My father gave it to me for my 15th birthday. I'm going to be 32 in November and I still have it. I can safely say I have at least 10,000 shells through it and it still shoots great. I had a Mossberg 500a for about 2 years, but I sold it off. The Mossberg action can't come even close to how smooth my Remington is.

- We who are about to die, don't want to. -
Old September 9, 2002, 12:58 AM   #8
skeeter

I bought my first 870 in the late 60's and shot is so much there is no blueing left on the mag tube or receiver. I never jammed once in all those years. I liked it so much I just bought another one with 3" chamber for bear protection. I paid $268 brand new with factory 2 shot extention. Only thing I will change is trigger lock , plastic housing and plastic mag spring cap.
Old September 10, 2002, 09:49 PM   #9
HerrJaegermeister

Mine was a gift from dad

I got mine as a gift from the parents after earning my Eagle Scout award. That 870 Wingmaster from the 1980s is still going strong and will so for decades.

Reliable, strong and perhaps elegant in a pump shotgun sort of way.

Read the other posts today, I have three barrels and use it for pheasants, deer and waterfowl.

Even if introduced today, the 870 would be a great design.

Reminton got it right with the 870 Wingmaster.