The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 27, 2020, 05:53 PM   #1
kilotanker22

6.5 grendel

Bought a 6.5 Grendel from a friend of mine. Palmetto upper, 15" m lock handguard, 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system. Has a pretty nice trigger in it, although I don't know what trigger it is. The lower was built by my friend.

Anyway, what I am looking for is advice from guys who have shot 95-100 grain bullets through a Grendel. Traditionally, does the Grendel prefer the lighter stuff? Or more so in the 120-130 range?

My philosophy of use is a home defense rifle I guess. That is why I purchased some 95 grain Vmax to load for it.

Who here shoots a Grendel? Any words of wisdom with this particular cartridge? Who makes good quality reasonably priced magazines for it?

I am no beginner, but I am brand new to this cartridge. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old May 27, 2020, 07:34 PM   #2
GeauxTide

My Grendel shot 5 123 SST into .3". Haven't tried another. CFE223 is my powder, but the 8208XBR is Temp Insensitive.
Old May 27, 2020, 11:22 PM   #3
stagpanther

Kilo--I think your intuition of going smaller, lighter with frangible is a good one--but that bullet is going to remain lethal for a long way if you miss your intended target. Grendel probably wouldn't be my first choice for a critical home defense cartridge even though I've had lots of them and it's wildcats, I've had arguments with many shooters since the Grendel list came out, I still think it is a "temperamental" design prone to the occasional stoppage if something is out of whack. These days I'm thinking maybe a quick-handling 9mm carbine with a composite frangible like scinter/inceptor might make for a very good home defense gun. I've driven a 65 gr inceptor to 3000 fps in one of my 9mm carbines. I like lehighs bullets a lot too--but in some 9mm chambers their "Phillips head" design has occasionally hung up on the chamber wall.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 27, 2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old May 28, 2020, 03:02 PM   #4
GeauxTide

One thing I forgot. I started out with Lee dies, but they didn't size the base down enough. Bought RCBS and that took care of that.
Old May 28, 2020, 03:53 PM   #5
kilotanker22

I basically use RCBS for dies
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old May 29, 2020, 12:38 PM   #6
ed308

Good hunting and target cartridges. I shoot the 123 gr out of mine. Accurate. I use Grendel mags in mine. But I've read where 6.8 mags work. They seem a little tight IMO.
Old May 29, 2020, 01:31 PM   #7
kilotanker22

I bought some Hornady black ammunition for it and got it sighted in. Decided to put a red dot on it to keep the weight down. The 3 moa dot is ok. I was able to hit a 16 inch gong at 300 yards every time I shot at it.

That's good enough for me. This rifle is meant for defense/combat purposes so I don't need a whole lot of precision.

Waiting for dies and mags to come in now.

For those 95 grain Vmax bullets. If I can get 2 moa and 2700 fps I will be happy.

Honestly don't know what to expect from this cartridge in a 18 inch barrel
– St. Augustine
Old May 29, 2020, 01:41 PM   #8
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Kilo--I think your intuition of going smaller, lighter with frangible is a good one--but that bullet is going to remain lethal for a long way if you miss your intended target. Grendel probably wouldn't be my first choice for a critical home defense cartridge even though I've had lots of them and it's wildcats, I've had arguments with many shooters since the Grendel list came out, I still think it is a "temperamental" design prone to the occasional stoppage if something is out of whack. These days I'm thinking maybe a quick-handling 9mm carbine with a composite frangible like scinter/inceptor might make for a very good home defense gun. I've driven a 65 gr inceptor to 3000 fps in one of my 9mm carbines. I like lehighs bullets a lot too--but in some 9mm chambers their "Phillips head" design has occasionally hung up on the chamber wall.
I know that light and fast bullet will remain lethal for a long way if I miss my target. Thankfully the Army taught me well and I don't miss often. All jokes aside though, I have other guns I would grab to defend against a home intruder first. Namely my 9mm handgun or my 22 mag hand gun.

The biggest reason I bought this particular rifle is this. The guy selling it was a really close friend (we served together in theater). He was selling to get funds to build an AR pistol. And of course my affinity for the 6.5 mm bore.

I will say that recoil is difficult to control when shooting quickly. About like an AK. So I may put a brake on it. I am thinking about the Ultradyne Apollo, and the C-4 front and rear sight
– St. Augustine
Old May 29, 2020, 03:05 PM   #9
2damnold4this

I have a PSA 20" upper in 6.5 Grendel and it seems to like Hornady ELDs and SSTs. I use mine for target shooting and hunting but not for home defense as I don't think it's quite as reliable as some of my 5.56 options.
Old May 29, 2020, 04:12 PM   #10
kilotanker22

I put around 100 rounds through mi e yesterday without any malfunction. Although, I did have to modify the magazine before it would feed reliably
– St. Augustine
Old May 29, 2020, 06:22 PM   #11
stagpanther

Of all the cartridge I fire--the Grendel is overwhelmingly represented by the huge pile of different magazines I've accumulated over the years. Some of the magazines come close to costing as much as a Grendel barrel. It is a great performing cartridge, no doubt, but I now tend to shoot 6.8 spc and it's wildcats more often. The 6.8 really is one of the best all-arounders for an AR15 IMO--outside of the 5.56.
Old May 29, 2020, 07:42 PM   #12
AgedWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilotanker22 View Post
Bought a 6.5 Grendel from a friend of mine. Palmetto upper, 15" m lock handguard, 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system. Has a pretty nice trigger in it, although I don't know what trigger it is. The lower was built by my friend.

Anyway, what I am looking for is advice from guys who have shot 95-100 grain bullets through a Grendel. Traditionally, does the Grendel prefer the lighter stuff? Or more so in the 120-130 range?

My philosophy of use is a home defense rifle I guess. That is why I purchased some 95 grain Vmax to load for it.

Who here shoots a Grendel? Any words of wisdom with this particular cartridge? Who makes good quality reasonably priced magazines for it?

I am no beginner, but I am brand new to this cartridge. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Grendel is a great cartridge in my opinion. I have found E-Lander mags work best in my AR, which is an 80% build and also has an 18” barrel. You might also try Speer 90 grain TNT bullets for lighter bullets and a better price. They shoot as good or better in all three of my Grendel rifles. Nothing wrong with V-max though. I had some feeding issues with Sierra 85 HP’s in my AR but they are pretty awesome in the CZ 527 with a 24” barrel. All in all, I found the Grendel really shines with 120 & 123 grain bullets, but will perform well with lighter bullets too. My experience with 90 to 100 grain bullets is they perform much better at moderate loads; pushing towards max seemed to deteriorate accuracy a bit in all my rifles with several powders. I like CFE223 and TAC the best, but many others perform well.
Old May 29, 2020, 09:25 PM   #13
stagpanther

8208xbr usually produced good results for me.
Old May 31, 2020, 02:17 PM   #14
doofus47

I have a Palmetto 18" Grendel upper. It shoots Hornady 123 gr SST better than I do. I load for 110 grain Lehigh controlled chaos bullets. I'm still looking for my best load. If you want to dig into a lot of reloading options, the Grendel forums are a great place to start.
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/
Old June 3, 2020, 10:02 PM   #15
kilotanker22

The 95 grain Vmax worked out pretty well so far. Power pro Varmint also works pretty well.
– St. Augustine