The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 5, 2020, 10:39 PM   #1
s&w500

NEW Kalashnikov KR9

Just brought this beauty home! But I'm needing your help again. Been looking at all the models and I cannot find one that matches mine??? At first I thought it was a suppressor...but the salesman said it was to meet overall length minimum requirements, and that the barrel was 9 inches...I bought it so quick the money was on fire!!! There was stimulus money flying everywhere!!!
Upon closer inspection, It appears the barrel runs completely through the apparatus...Simply a barrel cover? I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again TFL community!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200505_183956.jpg (234.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 20200505_183947.jpg (347.2 KB, 86 views)
Old May 5, 2020, 11:27 PM   #2
tangolima

It is a fake (faux) suppressor.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 6, 2020, 08:12 PM   #3
DMK

These days you have 4 choices with compact guns like that (by 'that' I mean clones of submachine guns like MP5, Uzi, or Vityaz like this one).

1) Get one that has a 16" barrel and looks weird. (they often make a faux suppressor to cover most of the barrel like they did here)

2) Get one made by the OEM as a pistol with a short (less than 16") barrel , but looks weird with a brace instead of a stock. Or it has no brace or stock at all so then looks and shoots weird.

3) Buy one through an NFA dealer that was made by the OEM as a rifle with a short (less than 16") barrel and stock, pay the ATF $200, fill out the Form 4 and wait about 8-12 months for the gov to process the approval, then pick up your rifle from your dealer.

4) Buy #1 or #2, pay the $200 and fill out an ATF form 1 on their eForms website, submit it and wait about a month for the approval, then you can cut the barrel down or add a stock with the ATF's blessing.

You've gone the #1 route. #4 is now an option open to you if you were set on that 9" barrel length.

Last edited by DMK; May 7, 2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old May 6, 2020, 09:15 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK
4) Buy #1 or #2, pay the $200 and fill out an ATF form 1 on their eForms website, submit it and wait about a month for the approval, then you can cut the barrel down yourself or add a stock yourself with the ATF's blessing. Notice that I specifically said yourself, not have someone else do it.
There's nothing wrong with having a gunsmith or other legally qualified entity do the work necessary to convert a rifle into a Short Barrel Rifle, once the application has been approved and the stamp is issued.
Old May 7, 2020, 08:38 AM   #5
DMK

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with having a gunsmith or other legally qualified entity do the work necessary to convert a rifle into a Short Barrel Rifle, once the application has been approved and the stamp is issued.
That's interesting. I've always done the work myself.

I thought that on a form 1 that you were certifying that you would be making the SBR/SBS/suppressor/etc. I though that if someone else was making the NFA item, then a Form 4 would be needed to transfer it to you. Maybe this is only true with a suppressor and not SBR/SBS?

I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong. I don't think even the ATF can keep these regs straight.
Old May 7, 2020, 10:00 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Once the stamp is approved and the item is properly engraved, the parts modification/conversion falls under "gunsmithing".

Suppressors, while usually easier to deal with, are another story. You can't just have your machinist or gunsmith turn some baffles and/or a body. That must be done by the manufacturer (you, if it's a Form 1).
Old May 7, 2020, 10:48 AM   #7
DMK

Thanks for the correction FrankenMauser. I see where I was confused.

I edited my post to not spread incorrect info.