The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 17, 2007, 05:40 PM   #1
MISFIRE

M 1903 .32 Colt- Ergonomically Oustanding

The slim, compact, 1903, .32 I inherited has a good barrel, tight barrel to slide fit, solid lock up, polished ramp and breechface, etc., and could be a decent carry gun if:
(1) I could find some decent, new manufacture mags for it. My two Colt originals ( one came with the pistol and I one I picked up about a year ago) are beginning to fatigue and the feed lips are cracking away from the back side.
(2) I could get some decent sights installed. The originals are atrocious even for those with young eyes.
(3) I could find some .32 ammo with a bit more punch that will not tear up the the little guy. I'd like to replace the original springs just on principal but it would be better if they would help with this. I sent an e-mail inquiry to Brownells about maybe some Wolff springs but so far , no reply.
(4) I could put a more durable finish on it without taking out a second mortgage. The original blue is about gone. I don't intend to sell it so resale value is not a consideration.
Old January 17, 2007, 06:29 PM   #2
robroy15

I had one of these, given to me by a neighbor lady. Made in 1936, almost as old as I am!

Yes, this is a beautiful design. Thank you, John Browning. BUT- This is an antique and not a practical self-defense weapon! Keep it as an artifact, or sell it and use the money to buy a more modern pistol for self defense.
Old January 17, 2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Magazines are problematical, I have a cheapo spare that I have never even shot.

There was a gunzine article a while back showing 1903s with all manner of custom work, to include sights and the enlarged thumb safety I would want to carry mine. Any usual finish could be applied; maybe hard chrome polished to look like factory nickel along with a set of little gold bead sights like the King Super Police of the 1930s. It won't be cheap.

I know of no worthwhile .32ACP +P. They have to consider the old CHEAP old guns. Frankly, I think you would be better off with some hot European .32 hardball if you could find some. Geco seems not to sell it here, I will try some Fiocchi.
Old January 20, 2007, 03:51 AM   #4
Slopemeno

I built one for a friend way-back-when. I checkered the frontstrap, backstrap, and triggerguard, did a minor trigger job, beveled the magwell, and put a set of sights on it from a series 80 1911.

The supply of decent barrels is nearly non existent, and his bore was *dark*, as is the one on mine. His shot well, and was really accurate for what it is.

Mags are a problem, but I think the best course of action is to buy a bunch, then sell off what doesnt work. Beefy little guns overall. Id love to see Colt do a reproduction.

The bad: The disconnector cut in the bottom of the slide is a weak spot. My 1908 .380 and my 1903 .32 both have wear here. And hopefully someone will do a run of .32 and .380 barrels soon. I'd buy one of each RIGHT now.

And I wish someone would make some +P .32 acp. My gun seems to be barely cycling. I'm almost tempted to try to take the recoil spring down a couple of pounds.
Old January 20, 2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

There should be no need to replace the springs unless they are rusted.
Bill
Old January 26, 2007, 12:34 AM   #6
MISFIRE

I just picked up some used .32 ACP dies for cheap but I don't find any info on reloading other than duplicating the anemic factory load. I thought it was just me but the slide cycling seems to be lethargic. I know about pressure signs on primers and such, but working up a +P load for this little guy might intrude into the strength of the gun itself before any of that shows up. The thing looks sturdy but how strong is it? Then again. the case is so small maybe it can't be loaded any hotter. I've never taken one apart. Might be an interesting thing to do. Surely someone looked into this somewhere along the way.
Old January 27, 2007, 08:47 PM   #7
Goldy

I've got seven of them ! Five .32s Two .380s. Carry a .32 daily on the farm.
Easy carry just tucked into belt behind hip and it rides there all day long. I use a Winchester TC bullet. Hollow points don't open up in waterjugs or rats. The truncated cone seems to do more damage to critters. All seven I've got don't seem to care what you feed them and are more accurate than they have a right to be.

I sandblasted two of the because of pitting , the used Brownell's "Gun-coate" on them Except for dropping one off the tractor into the gravel, they
have held up great. Cheap fix , too.

There is a website somewhere that a guy loaded up the .32. He got 1100 fps out of a Colt. Thought I had it bookmarked but can't find it anymore. I did find a list of loading data though. Use at your own risk.

http://www.stevespages.com/311p_1.html

Oh yeah! The only bad thing I've seen is a ding on the muzzle that will affect accuracy big time. Just 'Dremel' it out.

Sure wish someone would bring it out in 9mm.

Enjoy,,,,,,,,,,goldy
Old January 27, 2007, 10:15 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

The major drawback to that pistol as a carry gun is the small safety. If it had a bit larger thumbpiece, like the original 1911, it would be much better.

IMHO, the sights are no big problem; at the ranges that gun was designed for, you don't need big square target sights ripping into your clothes and getting in the way of the draw.

Jim
Old January 29, 2007, 08:11 PM   #9
George R

I always struggle getting the hammer in these when re assembling. Anyone have any tricks or suggestions?
Old January 29, 2007, 10:17 PM   #10
MISFIRE

PHP Code:
There should be no need to replace the springs unless they are rusted.
Bill 
Bill,
The cost of recoil, extractor, and firing pin springs from Wollfs is $ 7.70. so I popped for them. The old extractor spring came out in two pieces and the old recoil spring is almost 1/4 " shorter than the new one. My 1903 was made in 1927. This was a very good thing to do.
Old January 30, 2007, 02:30 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

George R., you and who else? If you figure out an easy way, let us know.

I recommend that they not be disassembled beyond field stripping unless absolutely necessary for repair and repair is very rarely needed.

Jim
Old January 31, 2007, 12:27 AM   #12
MISFIRE

This thing has the potential to be a good shooter if I could find some decent after market magazines !. The feed lips on my two originals are both cracking away from the back strap. My dad didn't shoot it all that much so I guess it's fatigue from daily carry, fully loaded for 17 years and the clumsy drops on the concrete bar floor. Awfully thin metal so I don't thing I would be able to weld them and even if I could, warping might make them worse, Their pretty much worthless now so I'm looking for a local hot shot welder willing to give it a try. I've done some silver solder work attaching sight ramps to barrel surface, but this would be two thin edges together at a right angle. By damn, with a good jig and careful heat sinking, I think maybe I can do this thing.
The trigger on this thing is pretty rotten. so maybe I can find a better sear also.
Old January 31, 2007, 04:21 AM   #13
Slopemeno

A freind of mine repaired a .45 mgazine where the base had boken off from dropping it in indoor matches. He used the smallest wire he had and tigged it up, and I polished out the welds and reblued it after the fact, and you'd never know it was repaired, SO yes, it can be done if the welder is skilled.
Old February 7, 2007, 11:07 PM   #14
MISFIRE

Thanks guys.
I just bought a no name $11.00 after market mag. Worthless as t--- on a boar hog. The TIG thing sounds good if I can find someone to do it. Can't hurt. they are worthless as is.