The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 14, 1998, 03:40 PM   #1
TARHEEL

Any opinions on this shotgun?? Good--Bad?? Whats the verdict??

Old October 14, 1998, 04:21 PM   #2
Noel

From my discusuions with people, it is a basic, unattactive piece that works most of the time. Most of the users I have spoken to do not like the plastic pieces in the trigger group. This is hearsay on my part, I do not own one.

I don't like it aesthetically but it is better than nothing. From what I also hear, the 500 is better than the 590. YMMV, IMHO etc.

Noel

Old October 14, 1998, 04:44 PM   #3
Rob J

I own the M590A1 version with the heat shield and the bayonet lug. I echo Noel's concerns about the plastic pieces in the trigger group, and especially the plastic safety. I have heard about someone in PA who makes metal replacement, but the name escapes me at the moment. As for reliability, I have never had a problem with a Mossberg shotgun (I have also owned a 500C). In my opinion the 590 is a better firearm. The action is on the stiff side compared to the Benelli M3, but then aren't all of the others?
Old October 14, 1998, 05:09 PM   #4
Ken Campbell

The Mossberg has an excellent safety location and action release location. I concur with the comments about the plastic components too. The Ghost Ring Sights are a nice feature that are not available by many other manufacturere, but Remington has recently come out with them as well. I have seen them in some shotgun classes and some have performed well, but several did not stand up to the abuse. (In comparison to Remington 870s as an example.) If you get one, I'd recommend giving it a good workout before I bet my life (or my family or partner's on it.) Remember to pattern it with the load you plan on using in it.
Ken
Old October 14, 1998, 06:42 PM   #5
TARHEEL

i have a model 500 also..i guess from what you guys said my 590 is the A1 model?? it has the heat shield and bayonet lug....i have had trouble with both the plastic saftey, and the plastic trigger guard...both broke on my 500....if there is a replacement metal part available, please send me the address....thanks
Old October 15, 1998, 10:12 AM   #6
Eagle

I own a 509A1 and love it. I have apx 1000 rounds of buck/slug through it without problems ( so far so good ). I called Mossberg and had asked them about the plastic parts and they told me that in the 500 the trigger assembly and the safety were but there was no plastic parts in the 590 A1. If anyone is interested in the address and phone number of the person that manufactures the metal safety button for the 500 it is Wolf Creek Guns, 2395 Scrubgrass Rd, Jackson Center, PA. 16133 (814) 786-9781. Hoped this helped.
Old October 15, 1998, 09:01 PM   #7
ddelange

For under $400, you can't beat the 590 or the Remington 870. I am very pleased with the tight groups I can achieve with my out of the box 590. The 590 will hold 8 shells in the tube, and you can order it parkerized (black finish) to resist wear or rust. I've spoken with some 590 owners who have had feeding problems with the optional speed feed stock.
After I bought my 590, I ordered a Sure Fire foreend (a must, I believe, for any long-arm home defense weapon), and was shocked to find out that the bayonett lug blocked the SureFire light and thus prevented racking. My gunsmith milled the lug off so that it racks fine; guess I won't have to stab any intruders to death.
:-(
Old October 20, 1998, 12:06 PM   #8
Kodiac

I too own a 590. It is my heavy hitter. I have an AIMPOINT mounted on mine... I like lobbing slugs outta mine. I can benchrest it and get 4 or 5 inch groups at 100 yards depending on the whim of God that day. It is a heavy weapon. When it was my patrol gun it road in an over head rack almost every day I was on duty. Since I have left that career field, it has become a more civil shooter... no more fletchets... The Remington Hollow Point Solid Copper Sabot round is it's main diet... but once in awhile I will pick up a box of cheap shot loads from Walmart-- on sale 100 rounds for 8 bucks, normally 15... not bad. The gun is so heavy what ever load I choose is a light load. The beast is like an I-Beam.
I used to clear buildings with it... at that time the AimPoint was a D cell Maglight that made the gun as heavy as my Chevy cruiser... but it did look very cool and evil.
Old October 20, 1998, 02:10 PM   #9
4V50
Retired Screen Name

I use to keep a 590 for home defense...until I realized that replacing it following confiscation if there was a shooting would be a lot more than an ordinary Rem 870 (speedfeed stock and sidesaddle). That's when I put the 590 away and put the 870 into service. Both guns are great, but gee, did Mossberg ever look at it from that perspective?

On the sidesaddle, don't righthanders notice how it throws the balance of the gun off when you throw it up on your shoulder. I noticed it immediately and when I tried it southpaw, it felt normal. I surmised that this is attributable to the right thumb bearing the extra weight caused by the sidesaddle which leans to the left. A left hander's four fingers supports that extra weight and the pressure on the left thumb remain consistent, regardless of the presence or absence of the sidesaddle & shells. JMHO.
Old October 20, 1998, 10:40 PM   #10
Kodiac

Even with slugs riding in the side saddle, I didnt notice any real balence problem... but then again I had a Butler Creek stock folded on the other side, untill I needed to sholder the weapon... and then I'd flick the stock out to the locked open position... ready to rock.
Meanest shotgun there is. 9 rounds loaded and six more at the ready - 15 rounds of 12 gauge power. Geeze.

[This message has been edited by Kodiac (edited 10-21-98).]
Old November 20, 2005, 03:45 AM   #11
gdeal

Mossberg 590 20" barrel

I have shot one of these at the range when the Rem 870 was out. I liked it. It had a ghost ring site and that was kind of fun to shoot with. The uni-sex safety or whatever U want to call it did not move very freely though. That was a little dissappointing since I heard that on top was a good place for the safety. Oh well, I guess I got used to the Rem's safety location.
Old November 20, 2005, 02:19 PM   #12
rugerdude

heh...I feel outta place here.

I used my uncle's 590 mariner for competetive skeet shooting for a couple months. I absolutely LOVE that shotgun. I fired nearly 1000 rounds out of it and had not a single problem. I also shot my first 25/25 with it.

It was also REALLY REALLY fun to see the look on people's faces when they saw me outshoot them with it.

What I learned: An 800 dollar over-under doesn't matter if you don't have the practice to use it right, and a pump is not NEARLY as slow as some people think.

Absolutely fantasic firearm, i would have bought one but it was too pricey for me so I got a 500a instead, and I love it too.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old November 20, 2005, 03:00 PM   #13
RevolverLover

I have a 590A1 18" and I must say it is a awesome shotgun. It has never given me any problems and patterns great.
Old November 22, 2005, 05:05 PM   #14
Duxman

590 owner here

Owned my 590 for over 10 years now. Never jammed, misfired, or failed to fire everytime I pulled the trigger. The recoil was a bit harsh.

I attached a Knoxx Comstock to it, and now I think its terrific. 90 percent of recoil is gone.

8 rounds of HD arnament whenever I need it. Ultra reliable.
Old November 24, 2005, 11:18 AM   #15
Pezo

I have the 590-a1 on order. It has the ghost ring sights, heavy barrel and metal safety and trigger guard.
Old November 24, 2005, 11:44 AM   #16
Pezo

see mossberg's site. I beleive the 590 and the 590-a1 ( as I mentioned above) arre 2 different animals. mostly because of the metal and heavy barrel. I also beleive the a1 version doesnt come with speed feed stock but synthetic only. heat sheild is on the 590 model. ghost rings only on the a1 version.
Old November 24, 2005, 02:13 PM   #17
Shane916

where did you get you 590a1 and for how much? Thx
Old November 24, 2005, 02:23 PM   #18
Pezo

Shane916: IF your asking me, I special ordered one thru a local dealer. total cost will be just over $500. It usually takes a week but its thanksgiving so that may be a delay. I usually have to special order new guns. Dealers only carry what they think you want. I ordered it last sunday, so I'm waiting excitedly,
Old November 24, 2005, 03:12 PM   #19
L-2

http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/lawprc.htm
The, above, webpage is Mossberg's current 590A1 offerings. There are models with Speedfeed stocks with the extra round storage. The MSRP's are also listed. Hopefully, you can get a good price by special ordering as I'm aware of no dealer who would have every LE model offered in stock.

TARHEEL, we don't know what you have. It could be a 590 or a 590A1. One indicator is the plastic vs. metal triggerguard and safety switch. On my 590A1, the "590A1" numbers are clearly marked on the left side of my receiver.

I've come across plastic safeties breaking, but have not personally come across a broken triggerguard, fwiw.
Old November 25, 2005, 11:46 PM   #20
Wraith

I think that if there was one gun I truely love (if one can indeed love a gun) it would be my 590.

The favorite shotgun of all I've ever handled.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old November 26, 2005, 04:19 PM   #21
shooter_john

I have a 590A1 w/ all steel trigger group, 20" 9 shot and ghost rings. I put a collapsible stock on it and that is that. I really like this gun, hopefully will get it into some 3 gun competitions at the first of the year.