The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 7, 2006, 02:47 PM   #1
PAHOGHUNTER

Good inexpensive spotting scope

Is there such a thing as a good inexpensive spotting scope? last week at the range I was checking the zero on my .19 and I asked the guy next to me if he could see the bullet holes at 200 yards, I was using one of those orange targets. His scope was a zoom type that went to 50 power a TASCO. He said he could barely see the holes, he went on to say he had never been impressed with the Tasco. Today at a gun show I saw a WINCHESTER, new on sale for $100.00, I was wondering who made those? Anyone have any suggestions on spotting scopes? I saw some at the show today for $89.00, I believe they were called, NC STAR?
Old May 7, 2006, 06:20 PM   #2
Mannlicher

Burris markets a fairly inexpensive Chinese made scope. Landmark 20X50mm comes with a tripod, for about $75.00. With mine, I can see .223 holes in the target easily at 100 yards.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 8, 2006, 05:17 AM   #3
straightShot

I don't think that there's such a thing as a good, inexpensive spotting scope. I've seen too many people buy a cheap scope and then turn around and buy another a little more expensive, and then eventually yet another. In the end, they spend more than they should have. That being said, here's one that I read about out at jarheadtop.com. It's $225, not $50-$100, but it's also not the $500+ of the more expensive scopes. I don't have any personal experience with one, yet.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

Good luck,

straightShot
Old May 8, 2006, 08:24 AM   #4
mete

Good and inexpensive don't go together !!! There are some reasonable chinese scopes and another source would be internet companies that sell discontinued models.
Old May 8, 2006, 12:17 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

I wouldn't get anything with Winchester on it - they are the biggest name whores around - they (Olin) slap the Win name on the cheapest crap you can find.

I agree that good and inexpensive do not go together, but of course some deals are better than others. I use the Burris Landmark 20-60x80mm, which is a pretty good price for a large objective lens (it runs $199-$249 retail), but I can't say that it's great. What I'd like to get is some of the big binoculars made for astronomy and birding, from well, where else:

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/

Here's all of them made for astronomy:

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/usage.asp?sqlq=M

In particular, I've determined that the best value for me in my price range are these Oberwerk 22x100s:

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/22100.htm

Talk about a great deal as compared to a monocular spotting scope - Huge objection, quality construction, and twice the components (binocular vision), for not much money - should be able to see little holes easily.
Old May 9, 2006, 01:05 PM   #6
saands

The thing to remember with scopes of all kinds is that for higher magnifications to work you need to gather more light. That is why you will notice that you can usually see MORE at a lower mag if the scope has a small objective. Although better quality optics will let in more light than cheaper optics, I think that the goal should be to end up with a bigger objective (50mm is just too small for a 20-25x scope IMHO).

At the end of the day, however, the easiest and most cost effective way to see .19" holes at 200 yds might be to use those shoot-n-see targets that have the black paint that chips off at 2x the hole diameter when punctured.

I personally disagree with the "high quality has to be expensive" crowd (look at Lee dies ... not their progressive presses, but their dies), but, unfortunately, I don't have a scope that supports my point of view.