The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 22, 2005, 12:55 PM   #1
Radiki

Another First Shotgun Question

I am looking for my first shotgun. I don't know a whole lot about them, but here are my planned use for it. I am going to be spending a good part of the next year fixing up my friends cabin. I am looking for basically a defense gun, but not from two legged creatures, the big furry four legged ones. Nearest neighbor is miles and miles away. I was thinking about an 870 Marine. Cabin is 200 yards off the water (fresh water) and I wanted something small enough to throw behing the truck's seat and survive the kind of abuse of basically being thrown about anywhere and still firing when needed. I am not into trap or skeet or anything like that so I don't need a super accurate long barrel. Any other suggestions? I didn't really want to spend $550 of a shotgun but I am worry about all the mud and water around there.
Old November 22, 2005, 01:13 PM   #2
Hotbarrel

I'd say save yourself a few bucks and get an 870 Express, along with a spare slug barrel, a box of slugs and a box of magnum 00 buck. That way if you get into birdhunting or clayshooting you'll have all the gun you need to do most any shooting you'll want to over your lifetime. The Marine's longer mag tube looks cool, but you probably won't need the extra shell capacity, and the shiny metal will give your position away to any alert animal.
Old November 22, 2005, 01:51 PM   #3
Clayfish

Mossberg 500 is all you need. Cheap and built like a tank.
Old November 22, 2005, 06:08 PM   #4
SemperKnight

cheap and reliable

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

Go to this site and down load their catalog. They have some cheap yeat reliable shot guns. some as low as $150.00 or maybe cheaper.