The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 14, 2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Gaz_in_NZ

Percussion Cap Keepers...

Hi,
I've just seen some "Percussion Cap Keepers" for sale, they look like small pieces of Silicone tube that are put over the caps to keep 'em on.
Are they any good?
Do they work?
Are they worth the bother and cost?

Cheers
Gaz
Old October 15, 2014, 03:11 AM   #2
hartcreek

They may not be legal for hunting in your state. They aint in mine. It is so easy to just pinch the cap a bit before you slide it on the nipple
Old October 15, 2014, 05:32 AM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If what your referring too is those little plastic (opened hole in its center) bead thingies. I think they have another purpose than just keeping the cap tight on its nipple.

I haven't used or witnessed anyone to date using them on their side lock rifles.
Old October 15, 2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Smokin'Joe

Make some by cutting short lengths of aquarium tubing (3/16" diameter I believe).

They get ugly when used but they can be reused.
Old October 15, 2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Gaz_in_NZ

Looking at the photo of the cylinder they are useful for stopping bits of exploded cap from jamming up the cylinder rotation and bits of cap dropping into the mechanism.
Might make a few and give them a go.

hartcreek... how are these illegal for hunting?
Or was it something else you were thinking of?

In New Zealand you can hunt anything with anything or so it seems (bow-hunting fish is the biggie at present), the Kiwi's are very big on trekking up mountains for days to shoot anything with fur or feathers, hell some of 'em even eat what they shoot.
It is very hard here to buy pistol ammo that isn't High Velocity hollow-point, but you can't hunt with a pistol(?).

Cheers
Gaz
Old October 15, 2014, 02:57 PM   #6
hartcreek

In Washington it is not legal to seal the cap on the nipple for hunting. The cap and nipple must be exposed to the elements. Just what the code states.....
Old October 15, 2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Gaz_in_NZ

A rule obviously thought up by some Jobs-Worth Pencil Neck just for the sake of having yet another pointless rule.
And obviously written by someone who has never even been in the same room as a Black Powder gun.

Come to NZ, you can hunt Rabbits with a Rocket Launcher or Deer with a pointed stick... no silly rules here (apart from not hunting with handguns).

Cheers
Gaz
Old October 15, 2014, 03:23 PM   #8
Erich

Getting back to your original question, I think they're worth the hassle of putting them on (which is a hassle, in my opinion) if you're going to be needing the gun to fire. I don't use them for practice, in other words, though they really do keep the caps from falling into the works on a revolver.

One other thing, if you're going to make your own out of aquarium tubing with a set of wire cutters (which I'd heartily recommend), be sure not to cut any of them too long.
Old October 15, 2014, 04:14 PM   #9
Gaz_in_NZ

I'll have a go at that.
Maybe just use them in comps so that you're not having to recap if (and when) the caps fall off.
Though I must admit, I have had no trouble with that happening ever since using RWS 1075 caps in place of CCI 11's on my Walker and on my Remmies.
I also make sure I push the caps home with a Lolly-ice (popsicle) stick after capping.

Cheers
Gaz
Old October 15, 2014, 06:13 PM   #10
44 Dave

The "seal" with these is questionable they just add a little friction.
Old October 15, 2014, 10:28 PM   #11
DD4lifeusmc

seals

Another option.
Use a toothpick and your homemade lube.
place a thin bead around top edge of nipple just below
the top.
The cap will push it down, both sealing it and making a
sticky fit helping keep the cap on the nipple
Old October 15, 2014, 10:43 PM   #12
Gaz_in_NZ

I've always found the slightest amount of lube anywhere near the inside of the cap and you just get Phutt/fizzle when you pull the trigger, so personally I'll avoid that one but thanks anyway.
As I said, since changing to RWS (Nobel) 1075 caps I've had no problem with caps jumping off with recoil and up to now each hammer-fall has produce a firing cylinder (could never say that with CCI 11's).

Cheers
Gaz