The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 26, 2012, 06:27 PM   #1
asdfw456

Maadi AK47

I know very little about AK platform rifles. But, I have been thinking of adding one to the collection. I can pick up an Egyptian Maadi with nine magazines and one hundred rounds of ammo for $650. Anything I should be aware of with this kind of AK and does the deal sound good? Thanks!
Old November 26, 2012, 11:26 PM   #2
jackpine

the thing with Egyptian guns in general is that they buy old tooling and move the hole works to there new plant and then run the tooling into the ground. They train people to run the machines but not maintain them so the first run weapons are top notch and the last ones out are paper wieghts. Look it over close and hope for the best.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:15 AM   #3
flgunguy

Spend $100 more and get an arsenal.

Don't get caught up in the ammo and mags and over pay for a subpar gun. Even walmart sells 7.62x39 tula. It's $3 for 20. So thats $15 bucks in ammo at retail prices. If you buy 7.62 in bulk u can get it down to .22 cents a round. 9 mags is intriguing but you would have to look at 'em first. If its plastic and says "made in USA" then they are tapco and very cheap.
Old November 27, 2012, 02:14 AM   #4
5.56RifleGuy

That is a fair deal for a Maadi.

Built on original Russian tooling. The really early ones are the best. If its an original import by Steyr, you would be doing really well.
Old November 27, 2012, 06:13 PM   #5
bamaranger

watch out

Watch out for MISR-90's. The MISR's were/are mixmaster rifles, Maddi receivers with Chinese/Norinco parts, assembled by Century Arms (I think). They are not well thought of as far as AK's go.......though I have one and after some tweaking it has made a fair blaster AK.

The Steyer/Maddi imports are much better rifles, though some had an odd but functional thumbhole type stock. The MISR-90's had the dysfunctional Norinco thumbhole stock. My MISR has a slant cut receiver as well.