The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 26, 2000, 03:46 PM   #1
Normalizer

I have inherited a handgun that my father inherited from his brother in law who inherited it from..... down through the years the story of where it came from was long forgotten.

I have a Mauser .32 pistol, which I have been told is probably either late WWI or post WWI manufacture. Serial number is 124XXX, all matching, and has yellowed white plastic or bakelite grips. Anybody know of what this could be, or have the appropriate questions to aske me in order to figure it out?

[This message has been edited by Normalizer (edited August 01, 2000).]
Old July 26, 2000, 09:32 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

There were four common Mauser .32 pistols, the Model 1910, the Model 1914, the Model 1934, and the HSc. The first three are single action pistols with straight drive strikers. They have safety catches that lock down until a button is pushed, and take down by pressing a catch under the muzzle and turning and pulling forward on the recoil spring guide rod. Grip shapes vary. The HSc is a double action pistol with an outside hammer, dating from the WWII era.

If you can provide more information, perhaps I can be more helpful, but the early pistols are common and only a few will bring more than $400-450 even in top condition. Some HSc's are very collectible but an average pistol runs about $400-500.

HTH,

Jim
Old July 28, 2000, 11:14 AM   #3
Normalizer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Keenan:

If you can provide more information, perhaps I can be more helpful
[/quote]

The slide says "Waffenfabrik Mauser A.-G. Oberndorf A.N. Mauser's Patent" It has the magazine release on the bottom of the grip right behind the floorplate of the magazine. Barrel can be removed by turning a catch on the front below the muzzle.

It'd be cool if it was a rare million dollar gun but regardless it's a neat piece, one of my favorites in my collection. Shoots really easy and is a neat piece of history, just wanting to know more about it's history.
Old July 28, 2000, 08:51 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Your description rules out the HSc. The others all take down the same way. The major differences are in the grips. The 1910 has a straight grip, while the others are curved at the rear to be more hand filling. I will try to find some more info and maybe narrow things down some more.

Jim
Old July 28, 2000, 11:06 PM   #5
Normalizer

I just took a couple pics, low res and in bmp format but they should give you some help.... they are located at the following links

DOH! The pics didn't work.... I'll try and get them up and working asap.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Keenan:
Your description rules out the HSc. The others all take down the same way. The major differences are in the grips. The 1910 has a straight grip, while the others are curved at the rear to be more hand filling. I will try to find some more info and maybe narrow things down some more.

Jim
[/quote]

[This message has been edited by Normalizer (edited July 29, 2000).]

Old July 30, 2000, 11:28 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

OK, Normalizer, I think I have the answer.

First off, I goofed on the Model 1910. It is 6.35mm (.25ACP) caliber. The Model 1914 and 1934 are in 7.65mm (.32 ACP). The Model 1914 has a straight grip and the little button at the bottom front that is pushed to allow the latch to swing is checkered. The Model 1934 has a curved grip and the button is a piece of bent steel, not checkered.

Jim
Old August 1, 2000, 06:32 PM   #7
Normalizer

Okay, here is another picture posted in a different manner.

[This message has been edited by Normalizer (edited August 01, 2000).]
Old August 1, 2000, 10:55 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Normalizer,

Sorry, I can't open tht one either.

Jim
Old August 2, 2000, 03:20 PM   #9
Normalizer

That's strange, I used the UBB code correctly and it is displayed on my computer....

Hi, Normalizer,

Jim
[/quote]

Old August 2, 2000, 03:22 PM   #10
Normalizer

I just sent the image to you as an attatchment, hope that was okay to do. Let me know if it came through allright.

Hi, Normalizer,

Jim
[/quote]