The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 19, 2001, 06:15 AM   #26
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

DZ,Saturday I'll be in NY for a family thing. But keep me posted, I like to meet the various folks I talk to.

Also, I can often be found at AGC on Wednesdays around noon, shooting trap. Same thing at PGC, on Tuesdays mornings and the occasional Friday. Ask around either place, I'm known.

Big, check your PMs.
Old October 19, 2001, 12:21 PM   #27
seadog

As Mom said...you'll shoot your eye out Pistol grips stink.
Old October 19, 2001, 12:42 PM   #28
Mo_Zam_Beek

gbelleh, LMAO - gawd what a story - glad it all turned out ok in the end (no one really hurt).

Truth is - myself and a friend did much the same thing when we were about the same age. Took an old double with a blow out in one of the barrels (about 1/3 of the way down) and hacked it (at 12" - yes BATF, the gun has been destroyed over a decade ago now) We also thought of the bright idea of a pistol grip.

I think we each fired it 4 times. To say the least - we learned alot. I like shoulder stocks today.

Good luck. Great story.
Old October 19, 2001, 09:51 PM   #29
LiquidTension

I bought a Mossberg Cruiser (500 w/ PG) because it was cheaper than the standard model and I was going to replace the stock anyway. I've since sold the gun but I'm gonna pick up another one just like it. I like the PG because it cuts down on size. I hate the PG because it's difficult to shoot. My solution? A top folding stock.
Old October 23, 2001, 06:24 PM   #30
jes1994

I had a Mossberg 12ga pump. At a show, I saw a PG and figured, why not, I'll give it a try.

After the first shot, I realized my hands are too small. In order to get my hand around the grip far enough for my finger to squeeze the trigger, I had to hold it so that the recoil was sending its force not into my arm, but onto my thumb.

For home defense, I like the idea that the BG has to get that much closer before he is too close for the shotgun. But until I can find one that I can shoot without losing my thumb a few feet behind me, I have to stick with the majority on this thread and vote against the PG.
Old October 24, 2001, 10:41 AM   #31
Sergey Podgirin

Folding stocks

I'm not a PG fan, as far as shotguns with pistol grip only prevent any precise shooting and uncomfortable with heavy loads. Nevertheless I really like folding stocks. My favorite shotguns are Remington 870 and Saiga 20K (a Kalashnikov AK in 20 gauge) and both have sidefolding stocks with pistol grips.

With my Remington I use a Butler Creek sidefolder, with which I've fired innumerous thousands of 12 gauge rounds including 3"Magnums. Of course metal folding buttstock is less comfortable when shooting than a fixed standard wood stock, but with both stocks I can hit a pepsi can at 40 yards and the speed of cycling is almost equal. In the same time I often need my Remington to be in the ready to fire position in my car or house, so I prefer folding stock to a solid fixed one.

Concerning Saiga-20K shotgun, it has an almost perfect stock for this caliber. The Saiga-12K uses the same AK-74M-type stock and it is uncomfortable when using heavy 12-ga loads. In 20 gauge most problems don't exist, so I have a perfect 20 gauge semiauto which is 24 inches long when stock folded.

Best regards,
Sergey Podgirin.
Old October 24, 2001, 11:25 PM   #32
Coronach

Once at fire-arms training for my first police academy (don't ask- I put myself through school then got hired by a PD that sent me through their academy) a good-ole-boy who is probably still and will be forevermore a Mall Ninja brought his trusty Mossberg Tactical Deathspewer, a VERY short barreled 12g pump gun with a pistol grip, no stock. Everyone else had standard stocked SGs, either 870s or mossbergs, with barrels from 20-28". He was blathering on about how this was a great CQB weapon and yadda yadda yadda. The old timers just nodded and smiled.

We did a few courses of fire with pistol, then did a fairly lengthy session with the shotgun, to 'acclimate' us to the weapon. We noted that towards the end the Mall Ninja wasn't maintaining a very good continuity of fire, but he was no longer running at the suck, so we counted this a Good Thing.

We then broke for lunch, and when we came back, and he had traded in his Deathspewer for his hunting shotgun. We never saw the PG-mossberg again.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein