The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 26, 2017, 06:17 PM   #1
Wonabe

FIE Standard. Damage or casting mark?

Like the title says. I picked up a cheap 38 snub from Gunbroker, an old FIE model "Standard" pretty typical SNS type of gun. I know the frames on these are pot metal, and that "fit and finish" is poor. That being said, it locks up good, the timing is good and the trigger is great, comparable to a current manufacture Taurus/Rossi. Nothing to write home about but acceptable. Perfect for my intended use of stowing under the motorcycle seat as a last ditch "get off of me" range weapon.

There's one worrying detail though. Across the inside top strap, under the barrel there appears to be missing material? Am I correct in assuming this is a casting/molding flaw and the gun isn't damaged? There is no discernible crack, it's like a wafer thin place "peeled away" maybe when broke from it's zamak mold? Id appreciate some feed back, I like the piece but don't want to blow my hand off. I've had ravens with similar "damage" that I shot plenty but they where chambered in the diminutive 25 acp
Old April 26, 2017, 06:29 PM   #2
45_auto

Looks like some kind of cheap paint-type finish peeling off. Scrape the loose pieces away with your fingernail and don't worry about it.
Old April 26, 2017, 07:31 PM   #3
Wonabe

I've poked at it pretty hard, its solid metal. I know some of these had steel reinforcements inside the zamak, maybe moisture got in between the two layers or something. Wish I had another to compare it to
Old April 26, 2017, 09:46 PM   #4
damienph

I have two FIE revolvers. Yes, they do have ZAMAK (zink "pot metal") frames but mine are actually decent shooters. I wouldn't be concerned about shooting yours as long as there are no cracks in the frame. One of mine is a single action .22LR the other is a double action .32 S&W Long.
Old April 27, 2017, 02:03 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

No Zamak guns have steel reinforcements in the zinc.
I would not shoot the gun.
It's your hand.
Old April 27, 2017, 06:47 PM   #6
Hawg

It looks like the finish coating is flaking off. I wouldn't worry about it. I've put a lot of rounds downrange with zamak frames and never had an issue with one.
Old April 29, 2017, 08:16 AM   #7
buck460XVR

Could be flame cutting of the cheap pot metal.
Old April 29, 2017, 08:47 AM   #8
g.willikers

While these types of revolvers aren't the quality of the major brands, there's no reason to not use them, as long as they pass inspection and you watch for anything suspicious.
But we should do that with all our guns.
Just keep the ammo suitable for the design, like everything else we use.
I have a made in West Germany version that has proven to be an excellent practice revolver for decades.
As long as it is used with ammo suited for the job, it will probably last a few more decades.
Old April 29, 2017, 08:53 PM   #9
briandg

You should not under any circumstances fire +p rounds. Never.

I would shoot nothing but the mild target wadcutters.

Pot metal is grainy and weak. I've seen cap guns that were better than fie guns.