The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 16, 2013, 11:35 AM   #51
Duzell

another question i have is the givati Company Usa a good company. ive ran into their products a few times
Old December 18, 2013, 02:21 PM   #52
tahunua001

i personally have never heard of them.
Old December 18, 2013, 08:34 PM   #53
Duzell

didnt sound very well know.

so far im trying to locate a good source for a 20" barrel , ive found a few but they dont give specifications. im looking for chrome lined barrel, that is calibrated for 5.56
Old December 18, 2013, 08:47 PM   #54
CTS

Are you looking for a 1:9, 1:7, light, gov profile. heavy or what? This: http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/12239 is an excellent barrel.

Last edited by CTS; December 18, 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old December 22, 2013, 02:54 PM   #55
Duzell

currently a 20" with a 1-8 twist would be nice, that would stabilize the bullet. a stainless with fluted front. i found one on brownells i could order but they are out of stock with no backorder
Old December 22, 2013, 03:41 PM   #56
CTS

http://www.dpmsinc.com/20-SST-Barrel...ion_p_225.html
It may be harder to find a stainless in a fast twist since most of them are designed for varmint guns and use a 1/12 twist. There are a few out there but they are high dollar when you can find them. I would recommend Fulton Armory and their Criterion line. They are very accurate but not cheap. What bullet weight do you plan to shoot the most of? That is what you need to determine twist rate. 1:9 twist barrels normally have the best prices. 1:7 will be higher usually and 1:8 is not nearly as common as the other two but they are out there.
Old December 23, 2013, 01:56 AM   #57
Theohazard

It's not hard to find stainless barrels in 1:9. In my opinion, 1:9 is the best rifling twist for the bullet weights most people shoot. A 1:9 will usually be more accurate than a 1:7 or 1:8 until your bullets are heavier than about 69 grains or so. Many 1:9 barrels can even shoot 75 grain bullets really accurately.

The only problem with a 1:9 is if you're shooting bullets that are too heavy (long) for it to stabilize; in that case the accuracy is going to be terrible with those bullets. So if you're regularly shooting heavier bullets (heavier than 69 grains) you might want a 1:8. And if you're shooting tracers you probably want a 1:7.

But here's the thing; an over-stabilized bullet is better than an under-stabilized one. So if you don't mind having lower accuracy with the low- to mid-weight bullets, and you want to be able to stabilize the heaviest bullets that will fit in your mag, then you want a 1:8 or 1:7. But if you don't mind the fact that bullets in the mid-70 grain weight and up will be horribly inaccurate and you want better accuracy with everything lighter than that, you should go with a 1:9. And a 1:9 will usually last longer than a 1:8 or 1:7 due to less wear on the rifling.
Old December 23, 2013, 10:30 AM   #58
CTS

I didn't say it was hard to find a stainless barrel in 1:9 twist. It is harder to find a 20" stainless barrel in the faster twist rates since most people who are going for a 20" and stainless are usually looking for a varmint rifle and planning to shoot 35 to 40gr projectiles. If you noticed, that is why I asked him what bullet weight he was planning to shoot. You cannot really make a blanket statement like 1:9 shoots more accurately than 1:7. There are too many variables between projectiles and even different barrels of the same twist and rifling type. You can take two barrels from the same manufacturer with identical specs and one may shoot 55gr projectiles better while the other may prefer 62. It's all a game of try and see what works best. It is, as I said, dependent on bullet weight though to determine what is generally the best twist rate. Faster twist rates stabilize heavier bullets generally speaking. It would be hard to advise someone of what twist rate they should consider if you don't know what distances they plan to shoot and if they plan to punch paper or varmint hunt and that sort of thing. If longer distance shooting is what you are after then i would go with the 1:7 and use the heaviest target style projectiles that will fit your magazine. You will however pay a price for a 1:7 twist stainless barrel in 20" that is of any account.
Old December 23, 2013, 12:02 PM   #59
Metal god

very nice barrels here but almost all will need to be back ordered meaning it will take a couple months to get .
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Barrels/departments/108/

I have a Del-Ton 16" HBAR ( heavy barrel ) 1-9 twist that is very accurate . It is not chrome lined and if your going for real accuracy you may want to avoid CL .

These are not top of the line barrels but I think they're pretty good for the price . Here is a 20" HBAR 1-9 twist non chrome lined . in stock
http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_20_Barrels_p/bl1015.htm

I did not see why you want a 20" barrel . For me and my first build I'd go with a standard AR15 rifle . That way you learn about the rifle and what you really want in the platform . By the time I was totally finished with my first build . I almost had enough parts I bought and did not use to build another rifle .

Check this website daily and be ready to buy . They often have great deals but they go fast .
http://palmettostatearmory.com/

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 23, 2013, 02:04 PM   #60
CTS

Quote:
I did not see why you want a 20" barrel . For me and my first build I'd go with a standard AR15 rifle . That way you learn about the rifle and what you really want in the platform . By the time I was totally finished with my first build . I almost had enough parts I bought and did not use to build another rifle .
The original AR15 was a 20" barrel. The M4 was the 16" that came out much later.
Old December 23, 2013, 02:30 PM   #61
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy
I didn't say it was hard to find a stainless barrel in 1:9 twist.
I know; I never said you did. I'm just pointing out that stainless barrels are readily available in 1:9.

Quote:
You cannot really make a blanket statement like 1:9 shoots more accurately than 1:7.
I didn't say a 1:9 will shoot more accurately than a 1:7; I said a 1:9 will usually shoot more accurately than a 1:7 with bullet weights 69 grains and lower. And a 1:7 will generally be more accurate with bullet weights over 69 grains. But considering the vast majority of people shoot bullet weights of 69 grains and lower, that means a 1:9 is probably better for most people.
Quote:
There are too many variables between projectiles and even different barrels of the same twist and rifling type. You can take two barrels from the same manufacturer with identical specs and one may shoot 55gr projectiles better while the other may prefer 62. It's all a game of try and see what works best.
I made that blanket statement because it's generally true. Sure, there are always exceptions and things vary from barrel to barrel, but usually a 1:9 will be a little more accurate with bullet weights 69 gr. and lower compared to a 1:7 or a 1:8.
Old December 23, 2013, 03:10 PM   #62
CTS

Quote:
I made that blanket statement because it's generally true. Sure, there are always exceptions and things vary from barrel to barrel, but usually a 1:9 will be a little more accurate with bullet weights 69 gr. and lower compared to a 1:7 or a 1:8.
Yep, that's what I get for skimming. I missed the last part of your statement. That is basically what I was trying to say to begin with, can't really recommend a barrel without knowing what weight (or length) projectile it will be expected to shoot.
Old December 27, 2013, 10:08 PM   #63
Duzell

well you right it is difficult, most are backordered, so rather than wait for long period of time delaying my project, i got in contact with spikes and made a deal for an upper (m4 style multi caliber), and a buffer tube kit (no stock)

it was 100$ for the upper and 74.95 for the buffer tube kit(no stock)
Old January 1, 2014, 08:23 PM   #64
CTS

Red X arms has 20" stainless fluted target crowned barrels for $130 and free shipping.
Old January 3, 2014, 11:39 AM   #65
Duzell

ok cool, is the product good?
Old January 3, 2014, 12:02 PM   #66
CTS

I have no experience with them or their parts. I have heard they were ok but cannot say personally either way. I sent an email requesting to know who supplies their barrels. I will let you know if I get a response.

Last edited by CTS; January 3, 2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 12:30 PM   #67
Rusty W

I have a Red X upper that I purchased a few months ago. It's a 16" bull ss. I've put about 200 rounds through it with no problems. I shoot bulk hornady 55gr sp or fmj & both are accurate enough for me. When I sighted in I started at 25yds, 5 shots. It put 3 shots into the same hole, good enough for me so I moved to 200yds. I had to make a few clicks on the scope to zero in at 200 but it's no problem hitting 20oz water bottles & 6" & 8" metal targets at that distance. I haven't had the chance to shoot much due to the holidays & the weather being cold but this spring I'm going to give it a better work out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 130919_0000.jpg (120.2 KB, 6 views)
Old January 3, 2014, 12:32 PM   #68
CTS

Well, that was surprisingly fast. They said they produce their own barrels in house at a rate of 1500-2000 per month. So I honestly still don't know but I think that they are probably good quality. Certainly can't beat the price.

Last edited by CTS; January 3, 2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:01 PM   #69
semi_problomatic

Just wanted to point out that the M4 has a 14.5" barrel, not 16.

And if you want a good barrel, look into superior barrels. Just as accurate as a non lined, tougher than a chrome lined. Cost as much as both put together . But worth it.
Old January 6, 2014, 01:32 PM   #70
Duzell

my pockets hurt already